Quick shifter query....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Quick shifter query....

Post by charles1976 »

Having an auto licence only would this allow legally to ride a bike with a quick shifter ..

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Quick shifter query....

Post by Ralph »

No a quick shifter just makes it possible to change gear without using the clutch it cant set off or change gear automatically.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

As I understand it, the crucial element is the existence of a manual clutch, which you do need with a quickshifter. You may not need it once in motion, but you need it to start off. Therefore its a manual, not auto, so couldn't be ridden on an auto licence.

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

A bike with a QS has a manual gearbox, so not classed as automatic.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

If you removed the clutch lever . i would say yes you could ride it .
You can change gear by using the toddle on the handle bars on the Mana . Dn01 .and the Nc 750. And several other, All can be ridden on a Auto license.
But to be safe give the DVLA a bell.
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Alanzzg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:40 am If you removed the clutch lever . i would say yes you could ride it .
But if you did that, it'd be impossible to ride as you could only start it in gear, and it would stall every time you stopped! Its exactly as a normal manual gearbox, albeit with a clever mechanism to shift gears for you in flight.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 am No a quick shifter just makes it possible to change gear without using the clutch it cant set off or change gear automatically.
My CZ 125 did this in 1975 it decoupled the clutch when the gear lever was operated. It was possible to actually pull away by putting in in first then holding the lever down, then gently letting it up to engage the clutch. The gear lever also doubled up as the kickstarter.

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 am
Alanzzg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:40 am If you removed the clutch lever . i would say yes you could ride it .
But if you did that, it'd be impossible to ride as you could only start it in gear, and it would stall every time you stopped! Its exactly as a normal manual gearbox, albeit with a clever mechanism to shift gears for you in flight.
Good point . so if you had to use the clutch lever to start off . then l would say No you can't ride it .
Sorry i don't know a lot about quick shifter . :oops:
Phone the DVlA.
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

smeghead wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:18 am
Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 am No a quick shifter just makes it possible to change gear without using the clutch it cant set off or change gear automatically.
My CZ 125 did this in 1975 it decoupled the clutch when the gear lever was operated. It was possible to actually pull away by putting in in first then holding the lever down, then gently letting it up to engage the clutch. The gear lever also doubled up as the kickstarter.
Honda step through were the same and the 60's Triumph Tiger 110 I rode one with a busted hand but even though you were not
using the clutch leaver you were using the clutch just operating it with your foot.
Crossed swords with a few CZ'S they were interesting bikes their guns are very good.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Alanzzg wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:22 am
MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 am
Good point . so if you had to use the clutch lever to start off . then l would say No you can't ride it .
Sorry i don't know a lot about quick shifter . :oops:
Phone the DVlA.
Though of course, I forgot that it is possible to push the gearbox into Neutral, which would help. I'm not that experienced in manuals, and my recollection is that it often isn't that easy to grab neutral on demand (depending on gearbox of course).