Quick shifter query....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Quick shifter query....

Post by smeghead »

Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 am
smeghead wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:18 am
Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 am No a quick shifter just makes it possible to change gear without using the clutch it cant set off or change gear automatically.
My CZ 125 did this in 1975 it decoupled the clutch when the gear lever was operated. It was possible to actually pull away by putting in in first then holding the lever down, then gently letting it up to engage the clutch. The gear lever also doubled up as the kickstarter.
Honda step through were the same and the 60's Triumph Tiger 110 I rode one with a busted hand but even though you were not
using the clutch leaver you were using the clutch just operating it with your foot.
Crossed swords with a few CZ'S they were interesting bikes their guns are very good.
When I've recovered I'm, for some strange reason, fancying something different. The JAWA 350 is still available! http://www.jawamotorcycles.co.uk/retro.html

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

The secret with a manual bike gear box especially older ones is to select neutral just before you roll to a stop.
Many thousand of miles on all sorts of British iron tells me this.

Quite like the look of that CZ.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Bern

Post by Bern »

Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 am the 60's Triumph Tiger 110 I rode one with a busted hand but even though you were not
using the clutch leaver you were using the clutch just operating it with your foot.
Triumph Slick Shift 8-)

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

That’s the one
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

smeghead wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:18 am
Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 am No a quick shifter just makes it possible to change gear without using the clutch it cant set off or change gear automatically.
My CZ 125 did this in 1975 it decoupled the clutch when the gear lever was operated. It was possible to actually pull away by putting in in first then holding the lever down, then gently letting it up to engage the clutch. The gear lever also doubled up as the kickstarter.
Ah yes I remember that. CZ used to call it a slick shift, but it was so horrible to use that it came to be known as a sick shift. Handy if your clutch cable broke though.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The triumph one was no better you could take the cams out quite easily and then it was a good box and you didn’t miss the slick shift
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif