VESPA - Good looking RR - Rusty Retro

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

VESPA - Good looking RR - Rusty Retro

Post by Jimo »

I have to say that the retro look of yesteryear Vespas are to my mind great, reminding one of the late fifties early sixties period but the biggest worry today is Rust - which most Italian bikes are famous for, that and poor chrome! IF these things could be conquered the Vespa would truly shine. I once fitted a brand new 19” chromed wheel to my 1952 S8 Sunbeam....it has always been kept garaged but within 18 months the wheel was rusty as hell despite regular cleaning and attempts at polishing - how does one pollish rust?

I would willingly pay cash for a non-rusting Vespa but they are nowhere to be found!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Deleted User 7077

Re: VESPA - Good looking RR - Rusty Retro

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

This is for sale 15 Grand if you want rare mint hardly used .5 miles on clock

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Meldrew wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:07 am
Jimo wrote:I would willingly pay cash for a non-rusting Vespa but they are nowhere to be found!

Jimo
According to your Signature you already have four old scooters and an even older motorcycle, why do you need another? Do you regularly ride or tour on the ones you already have.
Like you Meldrew I’m past my first youth at 81.....but that doesn’t stop me from wanting bikes or lusting after certaim models, I DON’T ride regularly any more due to many medical probs, those days are long gone but I can still appreciate bikes having historic origins - my vice is that I seldom get rid of them as you see in my signature (NB four of them are ‘on-road’ that is taxed, mot’d and insured so I can ride when I choose.

Jim

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

which type of Vespa are you looking for Jim????
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

horobags wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:37 am which type of Vespa are you looking for Jim????
Actually I wasn’t looking particularly, I’m still trying to work on my Helix but weather at moment not conducive to working in the cold garage because of limited space...but today I’ve kind of joined smeghead and bought an electric bicycle, a Batribike Quartz found on e-bay - not because I need it but because I like it - prob because I’m a collectomaniac! .....zip it Meldrew!

Jim

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Meldrew wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:50 pm Ok mate, I'll zip it and also bin the Helix oil sump mesh thimble strainer and magnetic sump plug I unearthed recently.
When I bought the Helix I assumed that the mesh thimble strainer would be missing so ordered a new one - it wasn’t so now I have two, don’t have a magnetic sump plug but may invest in one.... first comes the job of replacing the engine hanger to hopefully remove that vibration prob.

So why would Honda design in a useless filter? I don’t think so - but it does seem course.

Jim

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Jimo wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:17 pm
Meldrew wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:50 pm Ok mate, I'll zip it and also bin the Helix oil sump mesh thimble strainer and magnetic sump plug I unearthed recently.
When I bought the Helix I assumed that the mesh thimble strainer would be missing so ordered a new one - it wasn’t so now I have two, don’t have a magnetic sump plug but may invest in one.... first comes the job of replacing the engine hanger to hopefully remove that vibration prob.

So why would Honda design in a useless filter? I don’t think so - but it does seem course.
Oh, if only the twonk would bin himself along with the rest of the useless tat he conveniently 'unearthed recently'.

The wire strainer is of it's time, for sure, but as long as you don't skip the 1000 mile changes and clean the mesh every now and again you don't need a magnetic drain plug. My bikes (and others I know of with higher mileages) are living proof of this. It's only adenoidal weirdos like Meldrew who bang on about the need for such things in order to make themselves appear knowledgeable, when in truth he only rode a Helix for a few years and sold it when it was barely run in.

Deleted User 7077

"It better to have owned a Helix and sold it than have never owned a Helix at all " That's a quote from Pikeypere I think from the Morrison breakfast tour

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I've not owned a Helix but I've stripped a Helix engine completely and rebuilt it with many new parts. Virtually a brand new engine by the time I'd finished. Never saw the owner again afterwards. Nice bikes though from what I know of them. Rode a Jailing CN250 clone and boy, that was real good. The importers were based in Ipswich at the time, just a stone's throw from where I live. The late Twist & Go magazine were testing one down there at the same time I was there. They rated it too!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Deleted User 7077

Oh dear now you've done it lol