Xmax indicators

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Xmax indicators

Post by StephenC »

Maybe it's just me but as I commute I often have some random thoughts or ideas pop into my head (sounds like another thread, possibly?).

Today it was the Xmax indicators. Usually it's the pathetic main beam that troubles me so this is at least something else. :) Now every scooter I have had since 2002 (or 2007, not sure) has had bleeping indicators. I don't mean expletive-deleted, I mean actually beeping in a noise generating sort of way when they are on. I noticed the lack of such noise today, and yes I have had the bike since June last year thank you and I probably have noticed this before but probably just forgot.

I can't see anything about bleepers or otherwise in the book, so is it just mine or does everyone else's Xmax have stealth indicators?

BTW, I've a 2017 Xmax 300. 8-)

Another BTW. At least the switch is a push-to-cancel one. My 2000 Typhoon 125 2-stroke had a stupid switch, where every time you turned it off you inevitably pushed it too far and started indicating the other direction. :x Which reminds me, I think the top box on that scoot sometimes used to come loose and sit up against my back when I braked hard. :o Anyway, I digress. Again.

So, Xmaxers: noise or no noise? :?:

EDIT: another digression. Speaking of the old Tiffie reminded me of the car I had at the time. A white Rover 206GTI Twin Cam 3-dr. Oh, that was a nice car. Well, until the day I was selling it and a prospective buyer came to test drive it and the exhaust fell off. He still bought it though. Always hankered after one of the stealthy 420 Turbos. I might look on howmanyleft and see if there are any around still.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Xmax indicators

Post by Ralph »

No noise, to be honest I always thought it was illegal to have a bleep on bike indicators
as it was felt that a blind person may mistake it for a zebra crossing going to walk.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Ralph wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 am No noise, to be honest I always thought it was illegal to have a bleep on bike indicators
as it was felt that a blind person may mistake it for a zebra crossing going to walk.
Good point. :idea: Especially confusing if they heard it while you were still moving. :?

So that's two Xmax 300 which have stealth-acators. :)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've NEVER had ANY scoot with bleeping indicators (and I don't just mean the immense number of Tmaxs I've owned). Bleeping indicators would be good (assuming I could hear the bleeps through the earplugs) as I'm prone to forgetting to turn the indicators off, which is obviously a bad thing. There are or were ads in some magazine for aftermarket indicator bleeping kits, which I never got around to buying, as fitting would prove impossible for my feeble mechanical skills.
Never heard any mention that such things could be illegal, though obviously them the same sound as a pelican crossing would be a bad idea....

wilsonsteve
Benefactor

Post by wilsonsteve »

Many years ago, when I was instructing, all the instructors had these bleepers fitted to their bike cos it was just sooooooo embarrassing to have a student point out that your indicator was on for half a mile or more. :o
Luckily for us fitting wasn't a problem - one of the instructors was a police bike mechanic; give him your bike for 20 minutes and bingo. :)

Re the pelican crossing point, how often would you be indicating at a crossing?

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

In 49 bikes over about 55 years, I have NEVER had one with bleeping indicators!
Bleeping ignition systems and bleeping punctures, perhaps, but... :-)
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Oh, so the stealth Xmax is the norm, then?

Another thing that seems to be new on bikes are hazard lights. Given how many riders are using them while filtering, it must mean (a) they haven't had a bike with them on before and it's a novelty for them, and (b) they've not read the Highway Code in a long time and forgotten the bit that says they are for use only when stationary. Mind you, hazard lights do seem to enable high speed filtering for the user....

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Many moons ago I seem to remember having to disable the bleepers then fitted to new BMW bikes as they were illegal,
but just had a look at the construction and uses and it says a audible warning is acceptable so the law may have been
changed or I have had a senior moment.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 am Another thing that seems to be new on bikes are hazard lights. Given how many riders are using them while filtering, it must mean (a) they haven't had a bike with them on before and it's a novelty for them, and (b) they've not read the Highway Code in a long time and forgotten the bit that says they are for use only when stationary.
I have had trouble on some scoots with handlebar muffs switching on the hazard lights all by themselves. Then the trouble is that I've no idea where the switch is inside the muff, so its not easy to turn them off again!

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

You can get a replacement indicator relay with buzzer...
Thought about it for the SH...
Recon although it is a good idea, more to warn others around you, rather than a reminder...
It will drive me made after a few commutes, and will get removed...
I seldom leave indicators on, and often just push the cancel button when going along, just in case...