It says "Low Battery"

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

It says "Low Battery"

Post by StephenC »

So, I was away for work all last week in New Zealand (don't be jealous, it was meeting after meeting all day, every day and no spare time other than the pub in the evenings) when one afternoon my wife calls to say that the Xmax is beeping in the garage. It was 2am in the UK, so she wasn't happy.

My first thought was that I had not fully moved the main switch to OFF before I left and so some circuits might have remained open and so drained the battery. I therefore tried to direct her to check where the switch was pointing. After a while she sent me a photo of the switch which did look a little off-centre. So I said grab my bike jacket and rest it on the seat (so that the key fob in the pocket was close enough to activate), switch the scoot to on and then back to off. This was done.

It's still beeping she says, and adds that it says "low battery". I found a user manual online and could not find any reason for the scoot to continue beeping while showing a low battery warning. I advised her to smother the scoot with blankets and let it wear itself out.

A few days later I arrived home, fully expecting to find a flat battery. Only when I turned the scoot on, it was showing 12.5V, just as it should. And it started, just as it should. Bit of a head-scratching moment, but hey, it's working so I'll leave it.

That night, in the early hours I could hear beeping from the garage. I went down and stood over the scoot: what was going on? No flashing lights, no low battery warning, just a beep once a minute or so. Haaaang on.....

I looked up and above the scoot was the carbon monoxide alarm, with a tell-tale red light flashing softly and now - obviously - the source of the beeping. The alarm then said out loud "Low Battery". On the reverse of the case, it confirmed that it does speak that phrase when it has to.

If only I had thought to ask in what form the "Low Battery" was being shown: I assumed it was displayed on the LCD screen, my wife had assumed that the high-tech scooter could talk.

Lesson learned. At least I have a good story out of it.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: It says "Low Battery"

Post by MrGrumpy »

Just as well scoots can't talk - imagine the rows we'd have!!!! :o :o

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Mine said get off ya fat bastard once

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Similar thing happened to me once. Kept hearing this chirping sound in the garage next to the motorcycle which at the time was fitted with a high tech alarm. Took me ages to strip down all the panels to access wiring etc but despite pulling all the wires couldn't stop the chirping. Shortly afterwards I realised that a faulty fire/smoke detector that I thought was in the rubbish bin inside the house had been transferred to the bin in the garage near the motorcycle.😀😀😀
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Funny things smoke alarms....the batteries went flat (as batteries do...) on mine, which made them make random beeps. Took the batteries out, and they still beeped! Ended up putting them in the garage where they still beeped away to themselves for a day or so...

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

:lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...