Xmax 300 starting problems

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGman
Current Ride: Xmax300 R1

Xmax 300 starting problems

Post by MrGman »

Hi All,

My 2017 Xmax 300 has been giving me issues just recently, about 3 weeks ago I turned the ignition on, the dash lit up and done it's thing while i was putting my helmet on, then the next moment it just died and wouldn't do a thing. I checked the battery which was 12.8v then after i put it all back together it started no issues.

Then a few days ago it done exactly the same, ignition on, all lights up but before i got chance to start it, it died, gave it a few minutes and it started. Again this morning getting ready for work, ignition on and as i knew it was playing up i was ready to start it as soon as it had gone through it's start up procedure but it died before it got to the end.
Once the bike is running though it is happy and i have no issues.

Anyone had similar before? Any Ideas what could be causing it?

It's still in warranty and is booked in tomorrow but the dealership is 35 miles each way and i'm worried it's not going to do it for them and i'm going to be stuck at home again one day in the near future.

Scootypuff snr

Re: Xmax 300 starting problems

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Is it keyless ignition??? If yes change the battery to the fob

MrGman

Post by MrGman »

Yes it is, and even when it's not working and you push the power button on the bike the key fob flashes recognising the bike is communicating with it.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Harley have similar issues simple battery swap seems to work.

Do you have more than one fob if so try the other with new battery.

To me sounds like communication issue wife's panzer has issues if fob kept in pocket or someplace can be accidentally pressed or blocked

MrGman

Post by MrGman »

I was very tempted to give a new battery a try as taking it back to the dealer isn't really what i want to be doing with my evenings.

Thanks for the heads up with the Harleys though, gives me a little direction.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

When you say it dies, do you mean that all the lights go out and the starter won't operate?
It does sound like a weak battery or maybe some sort of poor connection or current drain, as it obviously uses power to start fuel pump, start up the computers and switch on some lights when you switch on! So a new battery is an obvious place to start.
All sorts of funny things can be caused by bad earthing, though it shouldn't be an issue on a pretty new scoot.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I will do a quick test tomorrow see what happens if it looses the key signal before it is started
you could not be getting the key out of range could you it doesn't take much think the aerial
is just below the seat about half way down on the left once the thing is running it wont stop
even if you turn off or take the battery out of the key.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGman

Post by MrGman »

When i say it dies, it loses power and makes the click you hear when you turn the ignition off.

When the key is out of range and it's not started it just beeps at you.

I'd like to think it's not the battery, the bike gets used regularly and is kept in a garage which keeps the worst of the cold off.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I was thinking the key fob battery not the bike one
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Had a bit of a play, if you turn on the ign then walk out of range it just goes through the
normal start thing and will start but it does have the key light flashing so now don't think it's
your key battery mine has started fine after standing for about 4 weeks in a cold garage
no problem, have you tried the bike battery connections fro tightness.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif