Maxi Muppets Forum Positivity etc.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Re: Maxi Muppets Forum Possitivity etc.

Post by mottza »

Mod Note: Split the post into another Bus Rant topic under Rant and Rave
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

The 'Sticks and stones' business is simply not true; one has only to read accounts of children (especially) being subjected to verbal bullying and abuse to know that words can and do do serious damage to the point in all-to-many cases of bullied children committing suicide.

That saying is an excuse the bully uses to justify his nastiness, much as is the expression, 'It's only banter'.

Slag me off if you will but I feel very, very strongly about this. I spent more than 30 years in Primary School classrooms, too often having to deal with these matters. Sadly, one of my former pupils - his name was Richard - was bullied seriously in his Secondary School and hanged himself. It still affects me deeply. I look back to see if he was bullied in my school and I didn't do anything about it. His Mother, brother and sister always said 'No' but it still worries me.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

It may not be true in reality but if your told and believe it as a kid it helps .

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Waldorf wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 pm The 'Sticks and stones' business is simply not true; one has only to read accounts of children (especially) being subjected to verbal bullying and abuse to know that words can and do do serious damage to the point in all-to-many cases of bullied children committing suicide.

That saying is an excuse the bully uses to justify his nastiness, much as is the expression, 'It's only banter'.

Slag me off if you will but I feel very, very strongly about this. I spent more than 30 years in Primary School classrooms, too often having to deal with these matters. Sadly, one of my former pupils - his name was Richard - was bullied seriously in his Secondary School and hanged himself. It still affects me deeply. I look back to see if he was bullied in my school and I didn't do anything about it. His Mother, brother and sister always said 'No' but it still worries me.
thats a very sad story Mike, and I totally agree with you.
Getting back to on here, this is an 'open forum', and the slightest jibe can be very hurtful, because its not a two way conversation, everyone, (friends, strangers) can read it, and you can feel as if youv'e been' put down ' in front of an audience. Just because some clever arse decides to 'nit pick' over a long forgotten post from ages ago. Mind you , on a open forum there will always be one, as in every village!!
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

Mark, I like your sentiment very much my friend :) I believe good will, kindness and compassion should always be foremost in the mind when conversing with others. I would hope that we are all wise enough to know what is right, what is wrong and behave accordingly. That being said, we should also always uphold the basic right of all to free speech. There are times when the ego gets the better of the heart/head and words just spurt out. In those instances, once we have cooled off it is always beneficial for all concerned to apologise and move on.

For the most part I have really enjoyed being a member of this forum and look forward to meeting some or all of you one day, although it is quite tough with being on the Isle of Man. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on a meet one day....

I like what Alan's old mum had to say about not saying anything if you have nothing beneficial to say :)

Final thought: We live in a difficult period with lots of strife, suffering and unpleasantness all around, we see and hear it all every day. Wouldn't it be lovely to keep this forum alive with jovial and witty "banter" without bringing with us those things we would rather escape.

I'll stop rattling on now :)

Baz

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

Spoogle, can’t part quote. We had been going to Isle of Man something like every other year, last time was 2017 so due a visit, not sure about this year yet. Re the topic, opinions or knowledge vary, so advice varies. Who is correct, the poster that makes the best case?

oblong
Current Ride: Satelis

Post by oblong »

I like Peugeots.
Thats positive

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 pm It may not be true in reality but if your told and believe it as a kid it helps .
No it doesn't!
It is merely a way of sweeping that kind of bullying under the carpet.
You ask the child who is being verbally bullied if that stupid saying make it feel any better.
You tell it that it is not hurting because it's only words.
Get real!!!!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Alanzzg wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:04 pm What we need is a mass meet and ride out
I totally agree - enjoy a cold beer or soft drink and discuss the merits or otherwise of hondas new forza ;)

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

We have only ever banned two long term people from this forum, one for being a dick and saying something racist, the other for being a self righteous dick who annoyed people. Any one else who we have banned are ad spammers or spambots.

We as admins don't want to be in any position where we have to temp ban for fully ban someone for lowering morale through their choices and actions. If you go to maxi-muppets.co.uk you'll see this:

'What the maxi scene needed was a light hearted forum where adults could be adults, that's not to say that anything goes but we're a good humored bunch who enjoy a laugh and some general piss-taking. It's not all jokes, there's quite a few knowledgeable members who'll help you out in your hour of need.' - GingerPhil

'General piss taking' does not give people a license to lower morale or bully, we all need to keep in mind that the written word on the internet can easily be taken out of context. Typing /banter or /sarcasm or using smileys to make it VERY obvious no ill intent was meant is a good thing to do, if that can't be achieved when reading it back to yourself then writing something more appropriate and positive is the best thing to do.

From what has been said on here already it is clear we want this to be a positive forum, I would like to see it go back to it's roots; A light hearted forum with a good humored bunch of people who enjoy a laugh that will help you out in your hour of need.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...