X-Max 300 front disc warped...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: X-Max 300 front disc warped...

Post by StephenC »

Greyerbeard wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:02 am Think they need a rethink!
Yes! Along with the pathetic main beam and the slightly iffy rear suspension.

Shame, because everything else about the machine is really very good. (Still can't quite get over the 100+mg for 28hp, 185kg bike).
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

ramasay wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 am I have just had a second rear disc replacement on my Xmax400, @1000 miles after the original warped at......@ 1000miles. Replacemed under warranty again, another 11 months until 2yr warranty is up. Not a hard breaker, dealer say's the disc composition has been changed making them more susceptible to warping by overheating at 'normal' braking usage.
But the snag is if they are going to keep doing this after the manufacturer's warranty period expires....an you assume they will, until the warranty bill becomes too noticeable for Yamaha! Still, presumably if go in as little as 1000 miles, they'll be covered by the parts warranty, unless they claim its a part that naturally wears out. Time to see if EBC have an alternative yet?

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:08 am
ramasay wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 am I have just had a second rear disc replacement on my Xmax400, @1000 miles after the original warped at......@ 1000miles. Replacemed under warranty again, another 11 months until 2yr warranty is up. Not a hard breaker, dealer say's the disc composition has been changed making them more susceptible to warping by overheating at 'normal' braking usage.
But the snag is if they are going to keep doing this after the manufacturer's warranty period expires....an you assume they will, until the warranty bill becomes too noticeable for Yamaha! Still, presumably if go in as little as 1000 miles, they'll be covered by the parts warranty, unless they claim its a part that naturally wears out. Time to see if EBC have an alternative yet?
Perhaps the answer is on page 661 of https://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogue ... html#p=661
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Spoogle
Current Ride: X-Max 400 ABS

Post by Spoogle »

I have never had a problem with warping discs on any Xmax I owned. Mind you I am quite gently on the brakes initially until about the first service and then use them a tad more firmly thereafter.....

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

You have to e careful when using things like WD40 and anything with silicone in it,
if it gets only a small amount on the discs it will feel like a warped disc till it wares off.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif