BMW 400GT

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

BMW 400GT

Post by Filonian »

Called in at my local BMW dealer (Barrie Robson's @ York) and they had both models of the 400 on display. I particularly liked the GT version, very comfy for my 5-10 frame and personally I thought the styling very neat. Top model SE is nicely equipped and not bad at £7950.
OK servicing may be expensive (didn't check) but knowing the mechanics and how they have to attend training on all BMW bikes, at least you know that whoever is working on it should know what they are doing.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: BMW 400GT

Post by MrGrumpy »

Filonian wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 am Top model SE is nicely equipped and not bad at £7950.

Cor.... icon_spin-on-head.gif Makes the somewhat more advanced scoots like the Tmax, Burger and X-ADV seem like bargains!
In theory, servicing costs for the C400 should be only normally BMW style overly expensive, unlike the C650s with their final chain drive.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

8 grand.. They won't sell many.. I'd get tmax xadv or bug

Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Post by Filonian »

MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:00 am
Filonian wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 am Top model SE is nicely equipped and not bad at £7950.

Cor.... icon_spin-on-head.gif Makes the somewhat more advanced scoots like the Tmax, Burger and X-ADV seem like bargains!
Sorry but I don't think a TMax at £1 under 10 grand without heated grips is now a bargain. Noticed they don't sell the DX here now. Dealers still trying to sell old stock at over £11k

More advanced scoots ?
Basic 400GT is £7050 and has ABS ASC LED Headlights, keyless ride, TFT dash, If you can do without heated grips and seat (having had a R1200RT with heated seats don't knock it until you've tried it)

I'll wait for all the other anti BMW posts, won't be long.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Filonian wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:42 am Sorry but I don't think a TMax at £1 under 10 grand without heated grips is now a bargain. Noticed they don't sell the DX here now. Dealers still trying to sell old stock at over £11k
I was being slightly facetious...even a Tmax fanatic like me would hesitate to describe the Tmax as a bargain....however, the C400GT does strike me as over priced. Leaving aside the equipment, engineering wise, its still a basic swinging engine scooter, whilst scoots like the C650, Tmax, Integra are more advanced with proper swing arms making them a whole different experience to ride. Whether that's worth £2k more is obviously in the eyes of the beholder! I speak in general terms of course, as I haven't ridden the C400.

Hadn't noticed that the DX had vanished from the UK market. My impression was that they were selling as many DXs as basic models.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I think £8 grand is too much for a 400cc scoot with a chinese Loncin engine whatever its badged up as.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

horobags wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:53 am I think £8 grand is too much for a 400cc scoot with a chinese Loncin engine whatever its badged up as.
The Chinese have the capability to make anything you ask them to.

The problems arise when the conversation turns to how cheaply they can make it.

Chinese manufacturer: We can make these lamps better than your sample and for half the price

Western buyer: Can you do it cheaper?

Chinese manufacturer: Yes, we can do it for 25% of the price but the quality will only be half as good

Western buyer: How about for 10% of the original price?

I can't really see BMW having a similar conversation. I could be wrong, though. 8-)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

And likewise the Italians make very nice Japanese scooters. (Even if the headlamps are cack).

The BMW is undeniably high priced for a decent spec. I suppose the base model isn't far from other 400cc scoots but adding stuff like heated grips, TFT and keyless to it costs a fortune. The basics of power/weight/emissions/mpg aren't very special either. Still, it's good to see more choice, even if I couldn't make a case for it for myself.

What will be interesting though, is if/when there's a leccy version with a newer generation of powerpack beyond the C600-based model currently on offer.

BTW, digressing a little (and a Muppet thread should always have an off-topic element). For all the concerns about 10 year old batteries making electric scoots valueless at that point, I just realised how many old Toyota Pious I see around yet I haven't noticed horror stories in Which? and elsewhere about their battery life. Just saying...
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

StephenC wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:16 am BTW, digressing a little (and a Muppet thread should always have an off-topic element). For all the concerns about 10 year old batteries making electric scoots valueless at that point, I just realised how many old Toyota Pious I see around yet I haven't noticed horror stories in Which? and elsewhere about their battery life. Just saying...
Am I not wrong in thinking that the Prious was the first and original hybrid so had to set the bench mark so quality mattered.
It also wasn't cheap & actually sold better second hand after huge depreciation unless you count stupid Californians who like to look like they give a f***

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

To be fair, I call it a Pious too, it seems to suit the car. I read car stuff on't 'tinternet and Prius' seem to last a long time, under-stressed drivetrain apparently.