Will a 300 have enough go??

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Tanker man

Will a 300 have enough go??

Post by Tanker man »

Hi, I’m hoping some of you may be able to give me a bit of advice.

Around 15 years ago I had an X9 and loved it and would go all over in it, over to the Lakes, into Northumberland etc, but often found it a little lacking in the omph department with it only being a 125 as I didn’t have a licence.

Fast forward to now, I have all the gear in my wardrobe, my theory booked and hopefully in the next couple of months, a brand new licence in my wallet!

But I’m a little torn as to what size scoot to get. I really like the look of the X-ADV and the power it offers, but not very keen on the whole chain thing and also I think the insurance would be a bit of a killer for a newbie.

I did also consider a T MAX , but once again insurance and I’m not to sure on how often it may need servicing (I have heard stories of every 3000 miles, not sure if that’s strictly correct).

So this brings me to 300’s, namely the X max and the Forza. Basically what I want to know is are they any good? I’m after something that will put a smile on my face, without scaring me, that will be used mainly for pleasure but may have to be called on to take me to work at 0300 in the morning or back again late at night on a 35 mile blast down the A19 if my car decides to start playing up. I want to feel safe sitting at about 75 without screaming the nuts off the motor with hopefully a little more to give if I need it and being able to sit at that speed on the slopes too.

Am I asking to much of a 300cc or are the modern ones much more useable than I am expecting with plenty of go about them??

Sorry for the long winded post, I’ve tried to edit it down to a more manageable level but fear that my waffling ability has kind of won through!! :D

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Re: Will a 300 have enough go??

Post by Maxsymuppet »

From what you say I think a 300 would suit you fine. By the way I hope 'I didn't have a licence' means a full licence as opposed to a provisional.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Tankerman without being offensive if you utilise the search facility on this forum then your concerns shall be resolved

Tanker man

Post by Tanker man »

Hi sorry Maxsymuppet I should of said a motorcycle licence, I was on L plates and a CBT.

And yeah, thanks Symcity, I just wrote this when I got back from work so my brain wasn’t/isn’t exactly firing on all cylinders. I will have a search when I get out my pit tomorrow.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

A 300 will be suitable. My forza does everything that I ask of it. Its quite happy on the motorway.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

And ditto the X-Max - happy on the motorway and everywhere else.
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Tanker man...
You thinking is wise...
T-Max and X-Adv insurance costs etc, plus the chain on the X-Adv if maitenance isnt your thing...
I have a '13 X-Max 400 with a lot more torque over the old 250, but is quite big...
The new X-max 300 engine has been about a few years, and a strong following on here, the engine is meant to be great..
Honda Forza 300, legendary Honda engines... Fair few owners on here
Sounds like you want more the type with a bit of weather protection rather than the more city styled large wheeled scoot like the Honda SH300...
As long as you are not too large a fella, and i dont mean tall... A 300 sounds like a plan, and maybe the ideal step up from the 125, with something larger if you feel the need after a couple of years...
Try and get a demo ride.

Enjoy...

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

My SH300 is pretty much as fast off away from the lights as you need and it trundles along the motorway at an indicated 75mph, no problem (the satnav indicates 68 mph).

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Personally I'd redo CBT get a decent used 125 about £1250 .Get back into it do your test before splashing out load of cash .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

IMHO, a 300 is fine in most cases, but if continuous M-way riding is your requirement, a little more grunt is always handy. Of course, not all 300s are born equal - the Piaggio Bev 350 had something like 35bhp so had bonkers performance and the SH300 was grunty in a light scoot so that went very well, but others have less power. Basicially 33bhp or so allows you to break any speed limit in any conditions. You will probably only notice a lack of power at M-way speeds in headwinds or up long drags. Some older 250s with around 20bhp could cruise comfortably at 65 or so, but probably wasn't a good idea to ask for more for long periods.
Anyway on the A19 in North Yorks, you have to keep a wary eye out for ludicrously frequent speed cameras.....

Btw Tmax servicing - only oil change required at 3000 miles, standard service at 6k, bigger service at 12k with VeeBelt needing replacing. Servicing isn't particularly expensive, but 'consumables' are expensive - tyres £100 each, Vbelt £120, air filters (3) £60