TMax recall

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Re: TMax recall

Post by bugsy »

Mr Grumpy

How is your dealer doing with your T Max. Has the drive been rebuilt yet.

Bugsy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Haven't heard anything yet.Snag is its peak time of year and they are booked solid. I'll give them a ring today or tomorrow to see if there's been any progress.

bugsy

Post by bugsy »

Hope it doesn’t take too long to sort out. This was not your problem.......

Bugsy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

News....apparently, its not the CVT that's failed, or the drive belt mechanism, but some major bearing between the two. I'm a little confused as to exactly where the bearing is and what it does, but its in the power train and there's a hydraulic clutch in there somewhere as well. Apparently this failure is almost unprecedented and Yamaha are taking an interest and failed parts will be shipped back to Japan!
The bad news? Its a massive job, requiring the engine to be removed. As its a warranty claim, it seems that everything has to be taken apart and parts examined before replacements can be ordered, and they will have to come from Japan.
I was warned that it will take WEEKS.
I've no idea what I think about all this, yet!

bugsy

Post by bugsy »

Bit of a co incidence the belt was fitted that day. Was the belt overtightened.

Mine seems loose now. You can only feel it in the gap ahead of the drive pulley where the cover stops. I can move mine about with ease. I’m going to have them check it on the service next week.

Bugsy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

They did say after they changed the belt that I might, or might not, hear some noises as the belt had to be quite tightly tensioned after refitting. Maybe they stretch a bit in the first few miles, like yours might possibly has.
Whilst its pretty clear that there was an underlying fault I have wondered if a change in the stress patterns due to the new belt may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. So yes its coincidence, but maybe not totally.

Another thing has occurred to me, when I thought the problem might be in the CVT I consoled myself that it probably wouldn't fail at high speed on a dual carriageway, but as it did, on acceleration when the CVT is changing ratio. However, as it appears to be nothing to do with the CVT, a bearing could fail at almost any time (I presume), including at speed in heavy traffic. There was very little time between any indication of a problem and a total seizure of the transmission - a sudden rear seizure at speed would be hard to handle at any time and if there was traffic behind you, it would be downright dangerous. It is fortunate that this is almost unprecedented.....I hope there wasn't a bad batch of bearings!

bugsy

Post by bugsy »

Thank you for those thoughts. I hope they are looking after you as a customer and providing some type of replacement machine. I am sure I speak for all TMax owners on this site that we appreciate your maxi muppet imputs especially concerning the T Max’s we all enjoy owning.
Your problem is a concern for all of us. I hope they speedily sort this problem out and recompense you in some manner for what could have been a serious incident.

Bugsy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

bugsy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm Thank you for those thoughts. I hope they are looking after you as a customer and providing some type of replacement machine.

No mention of a replacement or courtesy bike! Perhaps foolishly I mentioned that I had another Tmax at home...

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Well at the very least as compensation for time without the bike you should be asking for an extension on the warranty period plus the next service on-the-house.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

poldark wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:39 am Well at the very leastyou should be asking for an extension on the warranty period plus the next service on-the-house.
Well, I noticed that its almost dead on 6000 miles, so I asked them to do the service whilst they had it, so may be I should ask them to do it for free! Snag is, a free service would come out of their pocket, whilst they will feel that the problem is due to Yamaha.