TMax recall

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Re: TMax recall

Post by tmaxrobbo »

The Pulley metal is too soft causing the belt t slip . I'd noticed it on mine at 7000 RPM, it would slip and go no faster . If you have the belt recall they will do the CVT . There were 3 T Max's at my dealer awaiting all this work

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Apparently SOME Tmaxs affected by the belt recall need a new CVT, but some don't (dealer did check). And mine doesn't. God knows why.

HOWEVER.....
Had my new belt done this morning in York. Leapt back on, travelled the 40 miles back home with no problems, until I turned into my road when it suddenly seemed to be towing a large rock, and when I was 10 yds from my house came to a complete halt - rear wheel completely stuck. Couldn't even put it on the centrestand. Called the AA out (especially as it was in the middle of the road). I assumed brakes had seized but it turns out the front pulley of the final drive has seized. Is this a coincidence that it fails soon after the belt was changed? But there again, this wasn't a bit they worked on, just changed the belt, and wouldn't it have failed earlier if it was going to? Much to-ing and fro-ing between AA and dealer - its hard to believe in coincidences. Anyway, its being relayed back to York at some point. What a screw-up!!!!!

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:50 am I assumed brakes had seized but it turns out the front pulley of the final drive has seized. Is this a coincidence that it fails soon after the belt was changed? But there again, this wasn't a bit they worked on, just changed the belt, and wouldn't it have failed earlier if it was going to? Much to-ing and fro-ing between AA and dealer - its hard to believe in coincidences.
Bummer,
but is this a proper diagnosis or just the AA guys prodding bits about and coming to a wild conclusion. Not had any faith in them since my intruder broke down.

Hopefully all covered under warranty

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

The front pinion certainly isn't turning, which is worrying. Its hard to see how changing the belt could cause that, but there is too much coincidence. Anyway, its currently on the back of a truck on its way back the dealer! I guess I should be grateful it finally seized 10 yrds from my house and not at 70+mph in the outside lane of the A19.....

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 am I should be grateful it finally seized 10 yrds from my house and not at 70+mph in the outside lane of the A19.....
Good positive attitude thumb.gif

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:50 am

HOWEVER.....
Had my new belt done this morning in York. Leapt back on, travelled the 40 miles back home with no problems, until I turned into my road when it suddenly seemed to be towing a large rock, and when I was 10 yds from my house came to a complete halt - rear wheel completely stuck. Couldn't even put it on the centrestand. Called the AA out (especially as it was in the middle of the road). I assumed brakes had seized but it turns out the front pulley of the final drive has seized. Is this a coincidence that it fails soon after the belt was changed? But there again, this wasn't a bit they worked on, just changed the belt, and wouldn't it have failed earlier if it was going to? Much to-ing and fro-ing between AA and dealer - its hard to believe in coincidences.
Wow....strange indeed....as you say a real coincidence,my recall and service should be done before Saturday,I finally get to collect Max,with his new steering lock,i will update the “stolen tmax”thread when i have collected Max,

I am sure you will keep us informed on your Tmax

Steve
“
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Just had a thought...(one of those 4AM lying awake in bed thoughts!). I was wondering what could cause the front pinion to seize, given that the dealer only changed the drive belt. Of course, what drives the pinion? The CVT. Maybe there was some sort of severe failure in the CVT causing the Vee-belt to jam? There do seem to have been issues with the CVT (see TMaxRobbo's post) and I've noticed odd things with mine, but not always.

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Post by bugsy »

Um, keep us updated. This is all very odd.

Bugsy

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Post by bugsy »

I have just spoken to Yamaha Customer Service in Woking about this CVT issue. They inform me that the dealers were simply asked to check the CVT ‘s on all the recalled T Max’s subject to this letter during the new belt replacement . They were instructed to replace those they regarded needed changing. Just how you go about that I am not sure.......

Bugsy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

bugsy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 am They inform me that the dealers were simply asked to check the CVT ‘s on all the recalled T Max’s subject to this letter during the new belt replacement . They were instructed to replace those they regarded needed changing. Just how you go about that I am not sure.......
Its good to know that Yamaha tell different people different things!! I wasn't aware of the CVT issue before it was mentioned here, just before I went to York for the recall. The dealer WAS aware of it, but clearly said that they had been onto Yamaha to check and had been told that that whatever it was only needed replacing on bikes with certain chassis numbers (which mine wasn't). Of course, its possible to reconcile the two accounts if dealers were told to change some, and inspect the others - though my dealer didn't mention any inspection. And it now seems possible that mine's gone bang (my speculation, still waiting to hear). I have previously been back to them about the CVT complaining of a delay in acceleration and an odd funny noise, though only when seriously cracking on. They told me that it was working absolutely perfectly - but of course, as the owner I'm far more finely tuned to what's normal and what's not than they are.