TMax recall

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

TMax recall

Post by bugsy »

Had a recall letter this morning for my 11 month old T Max. Yamaha want to fit a new drive belt and re map the ECU to eradicate two potential defects.
Poor throttle response at low revs and the durability of the belt.
Just spoke to dealer who says they need to claim the parts first then book me in. They have already had a broken belt repair on a relatively high milage T Max.

Bugsy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: TMax recall

Post by MrGrumpy »

Interesting!!! My Tmax is now around 18 months old, and I've heard nothing yet. When they say 'Drive Belt', do you know if they are referring to the CVT belt or the final drive belt?
I'm particularly interested I've always complained that there is an odd fault with the throttle system ( though response at low revs is fine) and something odd with the CVT but dealers always insist it's perfect!

bugsy

Post by bugsy »

The letter uses the words ‘final drive belt’. It is a thin belt rather than that on my 2016 T Max. They want to order the part before the work, I guess they are very expensive.

bugsy

Post by bugsy »

I forgot to say. I am aware of your TMax’s behaviour on the downhill runs. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this bike is any different from the last. However I have found that around 30 mph on the over run just as you are trying to keep it going at slow speed it hesitates, as if the injectors open and closes until you give it a little more throttle . Doesn’t really concern me, but the ‘poor throttle response at low speed’ mentioned in the letter could mean just that......

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Got my letter now! Clearly their new design narrow drive belt on the mk6 has proved to be not strong enough - bit of a cock-up for Yamaha that is!!

As for the ECU - my troubles are off throttle, when the revs oscillate between around 3500 and 3000. As I'm not using the throttle 'poor throttle response' doesn't seem to cover it, though of course these people speak in Euphemisms and new map might change things. I've always found its throttle response at low speeds to be superb - its the thing that really makes the mk6 stand out from previous versions.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Sorry I’ve just put a thread up on this as well. I’ve had mine stop at low revs but it has a full termigioni system, that shouldn’t make it stop. The belt is £320 so yes expensive. The ecu reflash is just that . The Mk 4/5 belt was thicker but mine was trashed at 15000 miles . The old double chain enclosed in oil was better , but I guess the belt is cheaper ......... until now !, For Yamaha at least .Still love mine and it’s done stoic work over the winter in minus 5 . At least Yamaha are on the case

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yamaha originally claimed the belt offered a better riding experience compared to the chain-in-oil, but I can't say I've ever noticed! The new thinner belt drive was supposed to save weight. I wonder if they will effectively put parts from the mk4/5 on instead??

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 pm Yamaha originally claimed the belt offered a better riding experience compared to the chain-in-oil, but I can't say I've ever noticed! The new thinner belt drive was supposed to save weight. I wonder if they will effectively put parts from the mk4/5 on instead??
That’s my thinking , though that was still noisy and shot at 15000 miles on mine . Supposed to do 24000 miles

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm
MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 pm Yamaha originally claimed the belt offered a better riding experience compared to the chain-in-oil, but I can't say I've ever noticed! The new thinner belt drive was supposed to save weight. I wonder if they will effectively put parts from the mk4/5 on instead??
That’s my thinking , though that was still noisy and shot at 15000 miles on mine . Supposed to do 24000 miles
Its supposed to last the life of the bike, unless physically damaged!
I read somewhere that early mk4s had some weak point in the bearings on the front spindle (or whatever the correct term is) causing the racket.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:59 am
tmaxrobbo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm
Its supposed to last the life of the bike, unless physically damaged!
I read somewhere that early mk4s had some weak point in the bearings on the front spindle (or whatever the correct term is) causing the racket.
Never found out what made the noise on mine . I had a Mk 3 that had dried out wheel bearings at the front that made a real noise speed related . The noise came up through the cockpit so was hard to diagnose . looking at the Mk4 and Mk 6 rear belts the Mk 6 is a lot narrower with more room to move about on the pulleys , hence perhaps wear faster