TMax recall

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Re: TMax recall

Post by XP500FUN »

That should be free etc with all your costs and on going drama.

Also I`d be hoping for a whole new engine unit myself. Certainly the CVT needs to be renewed as well.

I think you could do with getting in touch with Yamaha yourself not just the dealer.

What is, or isn`t !!! going to happen needs careful monitoring.

You were very lucky not to end up badly hurt.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:41 pm ... as the belt had to be quite tightly tensioned after refitting. Maybe they stretch a bit in the first few miles...
A belt would require to be tensioned within tolerance - not overtight for a bit to be loose later...

A Drive linked chain stretches - but you don't run it tight - putting strain on the output shaft and bearings to get it to stretch... and be right later

A Belt will stretch - which is why it is tightened - and then re-tightened... or has a sprung idler / blade to take up the tension - cam chain?

Have none of it - how old is the scoot? replacement scoot?

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

XMax400Paul wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 am
MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:41 pm ... as the belt had to be quite tightly tensioned after refitting. Maybe they stretch a bit in the first few miles...
A belt would require to be tensioned within tolerance - not overtight for a bit to be loose later...

A Drive linked chain stretches - but you don't run it tight - putting strain on the output shaft and bearings to get it to stretch... and be right later

A Belt will stretch - which is why it is tightened - and then re-tightened... or has a sprung idler / blade to take up the tension - cam chain?

Have none of it - how old is the scoot? replacement scoot?

Think it’s outside the time limit for anew scoot . I guess they will make it as good as new , probably a new engine . Yamaha are pretty good at this stuff . Although it’s a hassle they take mechanical failures very seriously.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Think it’s outside the time limit for anew scoot . I guess they will make it as good as new , probably a new engine . Yamaha are pretty good at this stuff . Although it’s a hassle they take mechanical failures very seriously.
Can't imagine it'd need a new engine - no problem in that dept, though I wonder if there were any implications for the CVT. The only clue I had that something was wrong was at the last junction before home when it suddenly felt like I was towing a caravan or something - like the CVT wouldn't change down and there was a bit of slip in the system - which I can't quite square with a bearing in the shafts failing /seizing.
I'll have to ring them for an update - they said it would be 'weeks', and its been there a month.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 pm
tmaxrobbo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Can't imagine it'd need a new engine - no problem in that dept, though I wonder if there were any implications for the CVT. The only clue I had that something was wrong was at the last junction before home when it suddenly felt like I was towing a caravan or something - like the CVT wouldn't change down and there was a bit of slip in the system - which I can't quite square with a bearing in the shafts failing /seizing.
I'll have to ring them for an update - they said it would be 'weeks', and its been there a month.
Personally I’d want a new engine . Who knows what crap has been thrown elsewhere , easier for them as well , though a bit of a hassle for you . Running in again etc . The new engine / gearboxes don’t have this issue so I’d push for a whole new engine / gearbox . If you are happy to wait fair enough. I’d want peace of mind . You are clearly loyal to the brand . Just a thought

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Personally I’d want a new engine . Who knows what crap has been thrown elsewhere , easier for them as well , though a bit of a hassle for you . Running in again etc . The new engine / gearboxes don’t have this issue so I’d push for a whole new engine / gearbox . If you are happy to wait fair enough. I’d want peace of mind . You are clearly loyal to the brand . Just a thought
Latest news is that it'll be another two weeks at least! I did get the impression that they are doing work on the engine, though whether taking it out requires some work than just disconnecting things I don't know. Apparently they want it shifted as its now apparently all dismantled, and the parts (including bodywork) are taking up all their storage space!

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 am
tmaxrobbo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Latest news is that it'll be another two weeks at least! I did get the impression that they are doing work on the engine, though whether taking it out requires some work than just disconnecting things I don't know. Apparently they want it shifted as its now apparently all dismantled, and the parts (including bodywork) are taking up all their storage space!
Any news on your T Max ?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:00 am

Any news on your T Max ?
Absolutely none! I was told it'd probably be a couple more weeks - 3 weeks ago, but then they said it'd be at least another fortnight! What on earth are they doing that takes this long? Doesn't help that I'm a fair way away from it, so its not that I can easily pop in and have a look at what they are doing and what the damage is. It was supposed to be bearing failure in the shafts, but they must be doing a helluva lot of work to replace a bearing!

I guess I ought to hassle Yamaha UK, but I'm not sure what line to take, given that I don't necessarily want to piss off the dealer. Obviously I can complain that I've lost use of the bike for 2 months, and am wondering about something along the lines of if its such a massive repair, perhaps it should be replaced, but I'm not sure that the arguments would be that convincing (Yamaha can be quite hard boiled at times I think). All I really want is the bike back!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:00 am
Any news on your T Max ?
An update....aggravatingly very little has happened. Since my e-mail to Yamaha has yet to receive a reply after 2 weeks, I decided to ring them. The story is that whilst a pile of parts were ordered, some weren't held in Europe and had to be ordered from Japan. These parts aren't scheduled to arrive in the UK until June 10th - almost exactly 3 months after it broke down. And then of course, the parts will have to make their way to the dealer, and then the dealer will have to rebuild the bike! More mysteriously, the warranty claim wasn't made, and the parts not ordered until May 2nd - which means that it took 2 months for the dealer & Yamaha to actually do something.
Getting seriously pissed off with all this. I feel the dealer has been keeping me completely in the dark with statements like 'it'll be at least another 2 weeks' over a month ago, and Yamaha couldn't give a shit.

And now my road tax reminder has arrived - shall I tax it or Sorn it???

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Post by bugsy »

I am appalled at the way you have been treated. You must have the patience of a saint. My blood boils as I read your updates. These machines are the price of a small car.

Yamaha and your dealer probably have no idea that you update interested parties over this forum and the effect that this bad press has on buyers is quite obvious.
I will seriously consider not remaining loyal to Yamaha when the time comes for the trade in next year.

This is a sad affair. Thank you for keeping us updated. You have been dealt with appallingly.

Bugsy