Vespa GTS 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

Vespa GTS 300

Post by Scootypuff snr »

So having visited Colchester Kawasaki they have pre reg Vespa 300s at £3999.

Saturday took Silverwing in for PX values. Offered basic book price so i walked away. Today dealer phones back offering top book price that I asked for Saturday.

I said should have offered that Saturday I now want £150 extra over book price. Replied if I put deposit now he'll do it (desperate for end of month sales)

This evening I phone insurance company as wing is on my little toy policy. Current company won't cover Vespa so with less than 2 months to go I have to lose another years NCD (been here before with Carole Cash)

So the difference (allegedly) for saving another year 7 pence difference.

However a Vespa is 3X the cost to insure of the silverwing (when stated it's because of thefts in London I'm reassured it's actually due to the thefts of 125cc)

Decisions decision

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Vespa GTS 300

Post by capitano »

Scootypuff snr wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 pm
However a Vespa is 3X the cost to insure of the silverwing (when stated it's because of thefts in London I'm reassured it's actually due to the thefts of 125cc)
That's a bit of a porky on their behalf.

If you do a bit of digging around on the Modern Vespa forum you'll see the extent of GTS300 thefts. You'll have to go back a few years though as a lot of London folks who were GTS300 riders aren't any longer, because their scooters kept getting nicked.

The two top rides for bikejacking, handbag/phone snatching and general ride by or getaway thievery are the TMax and the GTS300, with the GTS definitely in top position.

In short, here's a good reason the insurance on a GTS is jacked up, and a good reason why there are lots of ex-GTS owners in London.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

This is a London phenomenon, I got very decent rates in Doncaster on my GTS before I sold it.

bn1966
Current Ride: Vespa GTV 300 SG

Post by bn1966 »

GTS theft is now becoming a problem in the South West, appears they've got the idea of off some of the London scrots & shifted along the M4 corridor (E.G: Swindon). My renewal is coming up & thankfully my Postcode (15 miles outside Swindon) hasn't been subjected to the theft epidemic yet. Vespa insurance still coming in relatively cheap.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

My son said he read somewhere they are going to start bumping them off now.

Less of the softly softly etc.

I mean surely if you steal a bike etc and go head first trough a wall etc its all down to you.

Just out of interest if you don`t mind saying how much is the SW to ins compared to the GTS.

I know Bennetts etc are £50 less for my SW than I pay with C/Nash. Its the £40 change anything fee that gets me, just click etc.

Also if you were given any discount etc its generally cash bells ringing as that goes out of the window then as well.

Hope you can get sorted and be very interested to hear how a GTS feels compared to the SW.

About time there was a amandatory 10 years to serve fully for vehicle theft with an extra 5 if you don`t stop.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

XP500FUN wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:55 am
Just out of interest if you don`t mind saying how much is the SW to ins compared to the GTS.
£70 to £202 Bells & Whistles policy

Didn't do the deal in the end, reliably informed South of the County 16 scooters stolen in 7 days, so sticking with the less desirable SW.

Also GTS wasn't such a bargain once you started adding all the farkles I have on the SW, though the SW is the only scoot I've owned still worth more as PX than I paid (at present)

When I offered it for sale at less than PX (and was ridiculed for such post) whoever bought would have made then/now

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

No one will nick that dirty scoot... ;)
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

£202 is hardly a fortune 🤔

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I am wondering about sticking with my SW for this nick/rob issue, they are a heavy old lump too. ( a few other reasons as well ).

I may be alone here but the Silverwing Styling is my favorite of all the Scoots.

Just something about it I like.

Putting the 26G Dr Pulleys in this year when I do the belt again, or earlier if I deglaze the clutch, tempted as lookng forward to seeing how they go compared to the 28G stock rollers.

Also I took a passneger on the back the other day, 10/11 Stone and on the hills it was Ok, but an extra 150 cc or so would of been nice.

So going back over to a 300cc size is off my agenda now, though I was tempted.

I also think I would miss the wind protection of a GTS300 compared to the SW as well.

I think you did the right thing in the end.

You obviously got a good beast, at a good buy back when it landed.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Symcity wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:20 pm £202 is hardly a fortune 🤔
Alone it isn't but as part of the fleet of vehicles I run not forgetting I change bikes frequently (& get financially punished accordingly) every hundred saved can be used elsewhere