Sym Scooters Engine notification

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Sym Scooters Engine notification

Post by Sylar »

I bought a new Cruisym300, in May last year. At the 600km mark it needed first service, I changed oil in engine and final drive units, and did all checks and cleaning of variator cover. For about two weeks the Engine management light was on. I knew nothing was wrong so ignored it,after roughly 250km it went out and stayed out . At the 5000km mark I again changed oil in engine ( there is no oil filter as such) and did the service as scheduled. Again engine management light stayed on for about 250km. I recently did the 10000km service changing oils and checking spark plug, also fitting new air filter and a new rear tyre. Again Management light on for roughly 250 km and then goes out. Is this normal for a SYM? does anyone know? or had the same experience?.

Deleted User 7077

Re: Sym Scooters Engine notification

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Is there an oil check light as well as engine light .What does handbook say about oil change reminder.

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

Handbook is almost useless. There is an oil check light that has never come on after start up. There is an oil check device that is like a second trip meter. It is to remind you to check the oil every 1000 km, as I don't need reminding to check the oil, I use it to monitor my mpg useage, restting it at fill ups.

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Have you spoken to the supplying dealer?
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

if memory serves me right . think that light is the service indicator aswell..? i'm sure it was on my old gts300 an 250.
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

That's what I was thinking as its going on and off at regular intervals .There must be a way to reset service light as they would do at a dealer .my sym isn't that clever its just mechanical flag indicator goes green to red when needs oil change .

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

phantom309 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:32 pm if memory serves me right . think that light is the service indicator aswell..? i'm sure it was on my old gts300 an 250.
Agree you have to re set service indicator lights for both oil changes and eventually belt replacement.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Its puzzling that the light should come on for a while, and then go out again. Is there an oil change or service trip meter like the Tmax has? If there was, did you reset it after the service?

Sylar

Post by Sylar »

It is possible that this light has something to do with service schedule, similar to the V light on my Silver wing that comes on at mileage for belt change. I usually do servicing just before indicated mileage. As the Cruisym is a new machine in the UK I probably have more experience of it than the dealer, it does not bother me so much as just had me wondering. As I already said there is a trip meter for oil check every 1000km. It is not an oil warning light ,that is separate.

basil 69
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxisym 600i

Post by basil 69 »

On the maxisym 600I the oil check light comes on at about 6000km which means the oil needs checking or due a service in the manual that came with it. Once serviced it is reset by the dealer but can be done by myself if I was inclined to do my own servicing.