Yamaha Tricity

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

Yamaha Tricity

Post by Scootypuff snr »

As title

Any body test ridden one- better still own one :?:

Yamaha UK only demo bike is at Jaxs of York & though it's now listed for sale, demo ride still available (helpful sales guys)

As it's nearly 5 hour ride each way no point in doing a day trip so if weather improves likely load MH and make a fortnight break out of it (not visited York in a few years)

There are several S/H ones locally but they are all pre 2017 models so lack the facelift/upgrades.

I'm looking at it as a poor man's MP3 though it doesn't lock out on wheels but having given it the once over at Copes it's basically an N max with a 3rd wheel (except you have to lift the seat to refuel :roll: )

Build quality looks high as well.

Other considerations, there's a 155cc elsewhere (which I'd prefer but even less S/H sales market) rumours still abound of a 300cc version .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Yamaha Tricity

Post by MrGrumpy »

No, I haven't ridden one, though I've seen the one at Jax!
Whether its a poor man's MP3 or not is a matter of opinion - one thing Yamaha have sorted is that whilst the MP3 (and most other 3 wheelers) are humungously heavy, the Tricity is remarkably light. As you say based on the Nmax so not so much grunt as an X=max, so it only goes around 60 flat out. And it looks tiny, so may not be great if you are a rugby player. It strikes me as a handy urban commuter, though without enough speed for out of town.
If you haven't ridden one, I guess it'd be worth having a go on a secondhand one to see if the general experience appeals or not.

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

Have had one from new , Mines a 66 plate so the older model , Great commuter especially in the poorer weather .

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

I almost bought one about 2.5 years ago.

My Son was having to commute by bike on untended back roads during Winter. He wouldn't accept any financial help from me, but a dealer local to me had just got a used Tricity in stock.

I figured I'd buy it, then lend it to my Son for Winter, and I'd have it back in the Spring.

As it was a used model on the showroom floor, a test ride was limited to a brief spin around the car park. It felt like a Yamaha 125 scooter. That's about as much as I can say, really.

My Son decided to change jobs, luckily before I'd signed anything. The Tricity sold in days, so no loss to the dealer. I figured that even if I'd bought it before Winter and it wasn't used, I'd have got most of my money back in the Spring.

Not much help, Harv, but heyho. :)

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

theres a bloke on here Harvey who has reviewed his if you want to search.
http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

I had a brief test on one at Crescent in Bournemouth last year. It's here somewhere.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Whatsisname wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:37 pm I had a brief test on one at Crescent in Bournemouth last year. It's here somewhere.
Cheers folks for responses and Whatsisname I read your review thanks (I did save it as a draft but have forgotten how to multi quote :roll: )

I defo need a test ride as when sat I found the position of the bars to close for my arm length but as it was on a centre stand (due to no tilt lock out) its difficult to judge)

Looking there over 250 registered on UK roads I just never see them but agree it's about town transport.
DTO wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 pm Have had one from new , Mines a 66 plate so the older model , Great commuter especially in the poorer weather .
Will update when I've ridden one :kiss:

DTO

Post by DTO »

Only seen 1 other in Colchester but guess you have to be in the right place/time to see one ?
I’m 6’1” with long limbs and have got use to the bars back position !

The new model only has a few upgrades including .
new 4 valve engine with 1 hp extra . 12 hp verses 11 hp will it be much faster ?
Abs + linked brakes . Almost impossible to lock up all 3 wheels with just the linked brakes .
Bigger fuel tank . 7.2 l verses 6.6 l will do 120 on tank full before reserve flashes .
13” rear wheel . Handling fine with 12” tyre and cheaper .
Auxiliary plug and cubbyhole . Pretty small but will be handy if you can plug a charger in there when needed I have a lead fitted under seat to battery for my optimate charger .
LED main headlight . In the few times I’ve used in the dark it been fine with normal h4 bulb it’s also easy to change .
new Bigger seat ? To be honest most new scooters all have rock hard foam seats and most hurt my bony arse :lol:

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Yes I had a long test ride on one.
Handled/cornered superbly like all these 3-wheelers
but
Far too cramped for my 5'10" and desperately underpowered.
IMHO!
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

DTO

Post by DTO »

I like the fact it’s compact and no problems at over six foot tall .
It’s no more underpowered then other 11hp scooters I’ve ridden , The power improves as mileage increases the one you tested was probably new with low miles ?
It’s heavier then most 125cc scooters at 150kg and has more drag because of the extra front wheel and front end width .
Most of my use is in town 30mph limits so power was not top of list , A scooter that can be driven the same in any weather conditions was !