Motorcycle and Scooter Driving License

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Motorcycle and Scooter Driving License

Post by bornagainbiker »

I follow the Maxi-Muppets Facebook group and answered a member's post (don't know if he is on here?). To save time I've taken a screen shot but to get it all in I had to reduce so may be small but hopefully ok.

As I've had no reply, I can't confirm that the person actually has taken a bike\scooter test, but I assume not from one of his comments.
As you will see he THOUGHT he had been UPGRADED to a full category A license when he had his license renewed but only for Automatics?

As I stated all people with a full car B license and renew their license will have Category A populated with dates, however you have to look at the code field where it will have 79(3). This being restricted to tricycles only, ie the Piaggio MP3 LT series of scooters. https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

Sadly a personal friend of mine several years ago that also thought the same. It's confusing to fully understand the technical rules, hence why many wrongly have assumed, thank you DVLA I now have a full bike license without taking any tests!

I had to fully research and understand the rules as I worked for a Honda dealer, Newcastle Motorcycles and one of my tasks was the administration of their riding school.

I hope that this helps to resolve any confusion and stops someone going out and buying a large motorcycle or scooter "thinking" they have a full A license.

MM Forum screen shot.JPG
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Motorcycle and Scooter Driving License

Post by Funkycowie »

If he passed his test a long time ago and got an A2 which auto updated to A after 2 years, but he only rode 125's since, then that is the only way he could legally be riding a higher cc.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

bornagainbiker

Post by bornagainbiker »

Funkycowie wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:58 am If he passed his test a long time ago and got an A2 which auto updated to A after 2 years, but he only rode 125's since, then that is the only way he could legally be riding a higher cc.
Yes I agree, it was the 33bhp rule then. I think that's why the Burgman 400 had 33 bhp?

I passed my test in 1973 when you could ride a 250cc as a learner and the examiner jumped out Infront of you for the emergency stop πŸ˜‚
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

bornagainbiker wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:57 am
Funkycowie wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:58 am If he passed his test a long time ago and got an A2 which auto updated to A after 2 years, but he only rode 125's since, then that is the only way he could legally be riding a higher cc.
Yes I agree, it was the 33bhp rule then. I think that's why the Burgman 400 had 33 bhp?

I passed my test in 1973 when you could ride a 250cc as a learner and the examiner jumped out Infront of you for the emergency stop πŸ˜‚
I took mine in 1966 and the examiner did the same. The funniest bit was, we were on a road with a row of large Victorian terraced houses. He told me to go up the road, take the first left, first left, first left and then he'd do the stop. "Great", I thought. "Once I've turned left, I'll be out of sight." I do my turns and am going along the parallel road and there he is. He must have gone through one of the houses.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Quite a few were limited to 33 bhp or like my Gilera Nexus 500 had to be restricted to 33 bhp until the 2 years passed, my A did not appear on my license until I finally got around to renewing it when moving some 4 years later. Having read the discussion It sounds like he could have been in a similar scenario as me.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

rayb wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 am

I took mine in 1966 and the examiner did the same. The funniest bit was, we were on a road with a row of large Victorian terraced houses. He told me to go up the road, take the first left, first left, first left and then he'd do the stop. "Great", I thought. "Once I've turned left, I'll be out of sight." I do my turns and am going along the parallel road and there he is. He must have gone through one of the houses.
1966 here too! My mate always swore he had to resit his test because the examiner jumped out in front of the wrong motorcyclist, who wasn't ready for it and ran him down! He rode past the accident scene waiting for the emergency stop!
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Me too (1978 in my case). I remember it well. Now it is so convoluted (and keeps changing). Glad I don't have to go through it all now.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Reading the FB posts, that would be my conclusion, too.

My Son passed his A2 in 2008 on a 125 and was upgraded to a full A category licence after 2 years. His CB500 had to be restricted to 33bhp until then.

bornagainbiker

Post by bornagainbiker »

I have replied to that thread to the person asking did he pass with the older test rules and the 33 bhp for two years but he hasn't responded yet.
If you don't have any restriction codes in the notes like 79(3) against the A section then you are good to go with a full A category license.
However due to the varying types of test rules over the years it can very confusing to many, they have made riding two wheels a somewhat complicated process that probably has stopped many younger people progressing through all the stages they have now. However, If over 24 then you can do the Direct Access straight to the full A license, which in my experience is the majority of new riders.
I know lots of 125cc Vespa type scooter club enthusiasts who just re take the CBT every two years and continue with L plates.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

bornagainbiker wrote: ↑Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:05 am I know lots of 125cc Vespa type scooter club enthusiasts who just re take the CBT every two years and continue with L plates.
Known as a 'Perpetual Learner' or 'Perpetual L-Plating'
I though that the law was going to be changed to enforce a year break from CBT expiry to stop such behaviour...