What to try and buy

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Graffig
Current Ride: Honda cbx750fe

What to try and buy

Post by Graffig »

Hi folks,

Currently looking around as to which scooter to buy (will be my first). Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, however, any advice for the following contenders would be greatly appreciated.

Planning a trip from Scotland down to Portugal and Spain in a couple of months, so that might be a consideration of size, storage etc needed.

The contenders so far are:

1. 2003 - Yamaha T Max 500 with 14,500 km Asking: £1,750 - at this price I wouldn't need to get into debt :) Though obviously and typically prefer the styling of the newer models
2. 12 reg - Aprilia SRV850 with 22,522 miles - Asking price: £3,888 (it's on eBay) - debt required if I don't sell the other bikes privately or trade-in. Not sure if parts are easily available, reliability and is the under seat storage adequate compared to some other models - cannot find many images
3. 2015 Yamaha X-Max 400 with only 83 miles! - Asking Price: £4,499 - debt required :) Are they powerful enough for motorway miles etc
4. 2011 Yamaha T-Max with 27,000 miles - Asking Price: £4,000 - debt required
5. and finally, 2012 - BMW C600 Sport - 11,000 miles ABS etc - Asking Price: £4,395

All these are from traders as I would need to trade in if possibly my Honda CBX750F or try and sell privately.

Many thanks again folks,

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Re: What to try and buy

Post by mottza »

X-Max for me. SRV expensive parts and to run. T-Max to old or high milage.

You could get a good Honda NC750/700/Integra for around £3-4k
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Maxster
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Post by Maxster »

I think many on here would go for the Burgman for luggage space 650 or 400 ideal for the longer trip. Silverwing 600 similarly.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Graffig wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:46 am Hi folks,

1. 2003 - Yamaha T Max 500 with 14,500 km Asking: £1,750 - at this price I wouldn't need to get into debt :) Though obviously and typically prefer the styling of the newer models
2. 12 reg - Aprilia SRV850 with 22,522 miles - Asking price: £3,888 (it's on eBay) - debt required if I don't sell the other bikes privately or trade-in. Not sure if parts are easily available, reliability and is the under seat storage adequate compared to some other models - cannot find many images
3. 2015 Yamaha X-Max 400 with only 83 miles! - Asking Price: £4,499 - debt required :) Are they powerful enough for motorway miles etc
5. and finally, 2012 - BMW C600 Sport - 11,000 miles ABS etc - Asking Price: £4,395

Hmmmm!
2003 Tmax will be a mk1 - nothing wrong in that, though the mk2 from 2004 had more power, more brakes, better forks, radial tyres etc. Interesting that mileage is quoted in km! 2003 is getting old, but I guess its most important how well its been looked after. Early ones were generally very reliable.
2011 Tmax is probably a mk3, which is in many ways my favourite version, as its a fun ride. If you are tall, best to sit on before purchase as they had less room and lower bars than other versions which may not suit - I've always found the riding position a little odd feeling, but never uncomfortable. You should be OK with 27k miles, though make sure its been serviced. There is supposed to be a valve clearance check at 24,000 miles which may or may not have been done.
Xmax 400 - don't know a lot about them, but they have 33bhp I think. This is enough to exceed any UK speed limit in any conditions. Genuine top speed is around 90 (more on speedo probably!). Lets say adequate performance for a long trip, rather than ample.
BMW C600 - a decent scoot to ride - the only query is really the silly cost of everything with a BMW badge on and the reportedly insane service costs - I believe you are suppose to change the V Belt and final drive chain & sprockets at 12k miles at a cost well in excess of £1,000. Make sure you have a conversation with a BMW dealer or whoever will do your servicing before purchase.
Aprilia - don't know much about these, tons of power, but I've heard criticism of the handling in the press, but there is at least one owner on here who likes his! Only a small luggage compartment (even worse than Tmax) I believe. Also think about service costs - Vbelt and final drive chain to replace.
Hope that helps

Graffig

Post by Graffig »

Mr Grumpy
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly - very much appreciate the advice and useful intel - I'm trying to not be guided by looks alone :) though I do like the look of the newer T Max and BMW - though as you mention, well worth checking about past services etc.

Many thanks again
MrGrumpy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:31 pm
Graffig wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:46 am Hi folks,

Hmmmm!
2003 Tmax will be a mk1 - nothing wrong in that, though the mk2 from 2004 had more power, more brakes, better forks, radial tyres etc. Interesting that mileage is quoted in km! 2003 is getting old, but I guess its most important how well its been looked after. Early ones were generally very reliable.
2011 Tmax is probably a mk3, which is in many ways my favourite version, as its a fun ride. If you are tall, best to sit on before purchase as they had less room and lower bars than other versions which may not suit - I've always found the riding position a little odd feeling, but never uncomfortable. You should be OK with 27k miles, though make sure its been serviced. There is supposed to be a valve clearance check at 24,000 miles which may or may not have been done.
Xmax 400 - don't know a lot about them, but they have 33bhp I think. This is enough to exceed any UK speed limit in any conditions. Genuine top speed is around 90 (more on speedo probably!). Lets say adequate performance for a long trip, rather than ample.
BMW C600 - a decent scoot to ride - the only query is really the silly cost of everything with a BMW badge on and the reportedly insane service costs - I believe you are suppose to change the V Belt and final drive chain & sprockets at 12k miles at a cost well in excess of £1,000. Make sure you have a conversation with a BMW dealer or whoever will do your servicing before purchase.
Aprilia - don't know much about these, tons of power, but I've heard criticism of the handling in the press, but there is at least one owner on here who likes his! Only a small luggage compartment (even worse than Tmax) I believe. Also think about service costs - Vbelt and final drive chain to replace.
Hope that helps

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

What about this?
Private seller but full history and relatively low miles for year?
Will do your planned trip with ease.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... UKI&page=1

Nyarlathotep
Current Ride: Tmax mk3 and R1200RT

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I have a 2011 Tmax (mk3, 500cc). It’s a fantastic machine.
However, if I was looking for a bike on that list to jump on and go to Spain/Portugal in the near future, I’d likely go for the Xmax with practically zero miles and no hassle. You’ll have a better holiday not listening for strange noises and wondering if the valve checks are done!

Graffig

Post by Graffig »

That's a nice one stibbs - will drop them a message - many thanks for the pointer
Stibbs wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm What about this?
Private seller but full history and relatively low miles for year?
Will do your planned trip with ease.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... UKI&page=1

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I agree with Maxster. A Burgman 400 would have sufficient power for motorways and oodles of storage. A 650 more so. Or how about a Maxsym 600? It's like a Burgman 400 but on steroids! But you will have to do a fair bit of hunting for one as there aren't many about.

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

Avoid the 2012 BMW C600 Sport. Early model with TONS of issues/warranty problems/ poor quality control/recalls.

E.G.: Porous engine blocks leaking oil (replaced engines), Rear chain drive leaking oil (too bad), Cheap neoprene seals behind the clutch leaking oil onto the clutch (upgraded seal eventually supplied), Rear chain guides wear too quickly, TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS FAILED, killing the engine :shock: (cheap spring in tensioner breaks. BMW replaced with exact same cheap design tesioner, but with a better spring. Finally completely replaced the crap design with a hydraulic one, which they should have done in the first place), Poor clutch operation (upgraded later), poor variator calibration (upgraded later).

Get the picture? AVOID all the early BMWs like the plague...
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)