Tyres TMax DX

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Tyres TMax DX

Post by Stephen »

.....proberly been discussed before,2018 model,clearly one of the answers will be”depends how you ride it” but here goes,how many miles should the tyres last? 5,300 miles i do a lot of lanes & twisties on my rides,not used for commute to work,normally at weekends after our breakfast we ride the lanes,rear tyre is almost done,which i can understand,but the front tyre dont look to good,perhaps i’ve been enjoying the Max to much :D had a few weekends away on it as well,its got the original Dunlops(i think) on it.......just curious as to how long any other owners of the Mk6 have done on their tyres

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tyres TMax DX

Post by MrGrumpy »

As I mentioned elsewhere I only got 4600 miles from the OE B.stones on my base model - but I'm terribly hard on tyres. I think its because I do a fair amount of miles on fast main roads and not much in urban areas....and I don't hang around.
Interesting that you got through the rear before the front! Later Tmaxs are almost unique in that the front usually goes before the rear! Although I swapped them both at 4600, neither was completely shagged, but there wasn't much left in the front, but a little in the rear.
I have Michelin Pilot Rd4 in both my mk3 and mk6. The mk6 isn't using tyres much at the moment.....but conversely I'm doing lots of miles on the mk3!! I'm impressed with how the PR4s are lasting on the mk3. On my previous mk3, I only got 4000 out of a pair, but I'm pretty sure that the PR4s have lasted 5000 miles so far. The front is beginning to wear, but the rear barely looks half worn! I'd guess I will get 6000 out of the front and maybe 8000 out of the rear which is amazing for me!!!

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

What would be the reason for putting Bridgestones on the base model & Dunlops on the DX model? On all the Burgmans i’ve owned i have always stuck with the Bridgestones without any problems,so i am tempted to try them on the Tmax DX unless there is a reason the Bridgestone isn’t suitable for my model🤔

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stephen wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:40 am What would be the reason for putting Bridgestones on the base model & Dunlops on the DX model? On all the Burgmans i’ve owned i have always stuck with the Bridgestones without any problems,so i am tempted to try them on the Tmax DX unless there is a reason the Bridgestone isn’t suitable for my model🤔
Puzzling isn't it! I can't think of any rational reason for different tyres on the different versions of the Tmax - its not as though there is any technical differences and the weights are very similar. The Bridgestones worked pretty well on the base model - very good in the wet. The Michelins work fine and Metzelers (as fitted as OE on the Kymco AK550 are another option). Never found Dunlops are as good on as B.stones, though I haven't ridden the latest editions.

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for the reply MrGrumpy,i will phone my dealer tomorrow,the salesman dont work on a Monday,so i may get to speak to the most helpful person there who is the actual mechanic,very chatty,is a fan of Tmax’s and uses one for his commute to work,Pirelli Diablo Rosso were mentioned in another thread somewhere on here,but someone else has told me under 4k miles with them......i shall see what the dealer says about the Bridgestones

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

I’ve ordered two new tyres for the Tmax,i have gone for the Bridgestones,which will be fitted Sat 15 June,there is a cafe less than a minute walk away,so hopefully a couple of the Saturday Breakfast mob will meet me there,once the tyres are fitted,we can go for a gentle bimble to scrub them in......Could be an expensive month,just had a look at the tyres on the X ADV and they are very near the mark with very nearly 6k miles on the clock 8-)

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Max has his new tyres,the mechanic took much longer than expected as the amount of corrosion was unreal after 15 months,really struggled with the nuts and axles on both front and rear,frightening to see the corrosion as its washed on a regular basis to keep the road grime at bay......bit nervous on the ride home as it was lashing down.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I really think that Yamaha build quality is going downhill....every non-plastic part seems to rust very quickly.
btw Turns out that the Michelin PR4s on my mk3 aren't going to last as long as I'd hoped - the front is really rather worn, and whilst the back looks superficially great, its quite worn in the centre, though not knackered yet. Still, I have got significantly longer out of them than I did with my previous Mk3 with B.stone BT11/12s.
I never mind riding in heavy rain particularly, but I'm very cautious when its just a bit damp! There again, I presume you mean that you were a bit cautious with brand new tyres in heavy rain.

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:44 pm I never mind riding in heavy rain particularly, but I'm very cautious when its just a bit damp! There again, I presume you mean that you were a bit cautious with brand new tyres in heavy rain.
Indeed thats what i mean.......Bridgestone Battlax’s SC2’s on Max now,i have made a note of the milage,did’nt get any chance to scrub the tyres in,so hopefully i can get out tomorrow for a bit breakfast and get a few miles on the new tyres....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I've had great experiences with Pilot Road 3's,4's and the new 5's on my other bikes, especially in the cold and wet. Assuming the design and compound are the same that's probably what I'll go with. I just checked the tread on my T-Max and with 3,300 miles the front is down to 3mm and the rear still has almost 5 on the original Dunlops. Can't say I feel terribly confident in those tyres currently, but it could just be my getting used to a scooter vs the traditional bikes I've ridden previously.

Do you guys take in loose wheels or just ride in to your local dealer? Do normal non-Yamaha shops know how to properly handle with the belt drive? Is there a trick to it? I've always had chain drive...

Nick