From Xmax to Forza - early impressions

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: From Xmax to Forza - early impressions

Post by Ralph »

Faster you ride the Xmax the better the suspension feels, it is definitely set on the sporty side
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Mine never felt as good as the J300 though, even after adjusting the rear pre-load. The J300 was pretty special in the way it moved down the road.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Best adjustment I made on the Xmax 300 was moving the handlebars to the forward position - body weight (72kg) a little more forward, and not leaning back against that concrete bum stop quite so much! My legs must be the right length as I find them comfortable forward or bent.
Can't remember what rear suspension setting I've settled on; standard I think. But I do run the tyres 2 or 3 psi less than standard, which feels better for me.
As Ralph says, the bike feels better the faster and further you ride. The handling and grip are excellent, and that engine is a willing and economical gem.
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Greyerbeard wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:44 am ... that engine is a willing and economical gem.
Absolutely! Now if only they can drop the intermediate oil change and extend the main interval to 8000 miles (and sort that main beam) then I may come back to the fold.

Generalpurpose

Post by Generalpurpose »

hi all,

I have only ridden the xmax300 for 25 miles and my forza 300 now for 1600+ miles and yes they are both very capable machines.
I do like the electric screen on the forza and the seating position. I also think the seat is more comfy.

as for mpg I track mine using an app and my forza does comfortably over 90 mpgImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

StephenC wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:55 am
Absolutely! Now if only they can drop the intermediate oil change
A ten-minute job - really!
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I thought the Silverwing was every 16000 miles.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Meldrew wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 am The Forza's belt change is every 16000 miles which is a nice change from the usual 12000 miles on my previous maxi scooters.
And is included in the £600 Honda service plan for 3 services (600, 8k, 16k).

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Some further thoughts now I've ridden it for nearly 24 hours and 560 miles ( from the trip computer!)

Mirrors - Hate 'em. I don't like the potentially expensive damage I might get from a mirror slap due to the indicators being in the mirror housing. And why are the indicators on all the time? This isn't the US where we have amber running lights! I also don't like that they are mounted so far forward, do not have a wide-angle segment and that although they fold, it's bloody awkward to do on the fly.

Refuelling - Easier than the Xmax, with a wider pipe for the fuel pump hose so it's easier to see how near the top you are getting.

Buttons - I am still hitting the wrong ones. So I lower the screen instead of flashing the headlamp or change the trip computer display instead of using the horn. Annoying. Hopefully time will fix this but I do worry for when I fit the handlebar mitts in the winter.

Engine - Still running it in and being (mostly) gentle with it but I am getting nearly 89mpg since I first got the bike. I'll update on this after the 600 mile service this weekend (although that report will be delayed a bit because I am travelling for work next week and so parking the bike up until July). What I have also noticed is that it is noticeably louder than the Xmax and I think the J300 too. Maybe because it's an old design? Anyhow, I still hanker after the Xmax Bluecore.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

The transmission is very good on the Xmax or at least the one on mine is,
what I don't get is how they get so many miles to a gallon, the belt transmission
on scooters is said to loose about a 3rd of the power and yet the thing can still
manage over 100 mpg.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif