From Xmax to Forza - early impressions

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

From Xmax to Forza - early impressions

Post by StephenC »

Right so I've now done 250 miles on the 2019 Forza 300 so I feel it's ok to make a few comparisons with my previous Xmax.

Engine.
The Xmax wins by a mile. More powerful AND economical.

Suspension
Score one for the Honda. The rear is much better, being supple without harshness or excessive bounce, which is what I found with the Yam.

Instruments and controls
Yamaha is less fussy and the number of the buttons on the Honda's handlebars are a bit of an overload, IMO. I do like the range function though.

Under seat storage
Good on both. No complaints with either but I like the Honda's separator although my helmet only fits one way if put in the rear half.

Glovebox.
Look, these are maxi scooters- this stuff is important! Anyway, the Honda has only one but it's a big 'un. I like that it locks only when the steering lock is on. The 12v socket is easier to access and there's a section which is nicely sized to hold a phone when it's charging.

Seat.
Yeah, comfy enough on both.

Feet Forward?
Not really on either, but the Honda seems to allow a little more stretching space for the feet slightly upward position.

Curry hook.
Neither have one. Major failing!

That windscreen
No, I don't think it's worth having but I am using it. So err.... ?

Lights.
Not yet tested at night so I'll return to this later on in the year or if I get the chance to go out late one night

Service interval.
Major plus for the Honda. 8k with no intermediate oil change. 6k with an oil change at 3k for the Yam

Running In.
The rules for the Yam were ridiculous. Honda simply says go easy.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Re: From Xmax to Forza - early impressions

Post by orange1290 »

Why did you change the xmax?
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

I was wiped out by a driver making a snap turn as I passed them. Impact on the left of the bike followed by it falling on the right, so panels broken on both sides.

The Xmax was really competent but never really grabbed me and the main beam was a real annoyance so I was open to getting something else. Hence the Forza.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

I had an xmax 300 for a short time but unfortunately found the feet position so uncomfortable... so disappointed because had it been true feet forward say like a burgman....I'd still have it today....the engine a peach

orange1290

Post by orange1290 »

I tried the new Forza but found it a let down compared to the Xmax 300. It seems to be a generation behind in engine/handling etc. If Honda had developed a new technology engine (as with the bluecore in the Yamaha) then it might have been interesting but they put in an old engine from the SH300 in a cosmetically enhanced new body, hence the big difference in fuel consumption and power. Feet forward I never use as I find it an artificial position for more than a couple of minutes.
2017 XMAX 300
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Very interesting, though of course I've no experience of either. The Honda engine 'failings' are quite interesting. I had a SH300 for a while which had basically the same engine, although Honda have worked on it since then, presumably for emissions reasons. Whilst the SH did NOT float my boat, the engine was great giving fantastic performance and could do silly speeds in the outside lane of the dual carriageways! And I got over 70mpg most of the time which I thought was pretty good for me, and the speeds it went. Probably not the most refined engine - I read somewhere that it was originally a Motocross engine, and it did have that feel. On the Forza they seem to have tuned it down a bit as it produces less power than it did in the SH.
As for the Forza vs Xmax, it seems to be a choice of a scoot with a good engine with harsh suspension or one with a so-so engine and better suspension! Tricky!

orange1290

Post by orange1290 »

I find the suspension on the Xmax fine. It took 2 or 3 adjustments during the first few weeks but after that no issues. If you find it harsh there are many replacement options for a couple of hundred pounds. You can't replace an engine in the same way. My Xmax is consistently giving 2.7L/100kms which is 105mpg in all conditions, town and out of town and it's driven pretty hard.
2017 XMAX 300
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

orange1290 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:59 am I find the suspension on the Xmax fine. It took 2 or 3 adjustments during the first few weeks but after that no issues. If you find it harsh there are many replacement options for a couple of hundred pounds. You can't replace an engine in the same way. My Xmax is consistently giving 2.7L/100kms which is 105mpg in all conditions, town and out of town and it's driven pretty hard.
Sure, but Yamaha and Honda you should expect to get basics right, without aftermarket stuff.

The Yam's Bluecore engine is truly exceptional and unmatched, IMO.

Although still new and I am keeping the revs down and trying not to push the motor too hard, I'm getting 88mpg compared to 100-105mpg on the Yam for the same journey. I'll update once I've had the 600 mile service (which is included along with the next 2 services under the £600 service plan).

I'm struggling getting used to the handlebar controls - I angrily lowered the windscreen at someone yesterday. That told 'em!

My ideal scooter would have the Bluecore engine, Honda tech, J300 looks and handling, with Satelis thoughtfulness and practicality.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Certainly the engine in the forza is getting on a bit however it is super reliable and fuel consumption isn’t too bad considering the speed and whopping acceleration - and yes the engine was derived from the honda crf250

orange1290

Post by orange1290 »

StephenC wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 am Sure, but Yamaha and Honda you should expect to get basics right, without aftermarket stuff.
Yamaha did get the basics right, you just didn't like the suspension, I find it fine. Not sure how much you weigh but I am 75kg. Maybe you didn't try adjusting it enough to suit your requirements but not everyone can be satisfied with something as subjective as suspension whereas fuel consumption and power are very objective and concrete deliverables. Honda looks like they wrapped old technology in new clothes, probably as a cost saving exercise and/or interim exercise until they introduce a model with a more efficient and powerful engine, maybe for EUR 5 requirements.
MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:59 am And I got over 70mpg most of the time which I thought was pretty good for me, and the speeds it went.
That's 33% worse fuel consumption compared to the Xmax, which is terrible and you're getting less power/acceleration for the privilege.
StephenC wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 am Although still new and I am keeping the revs down and trying not to push the motor too hard, I'm getting 88mpg compared to 100-105mpg on the Yam for the same journey.
And that's when you running it in before the 600 mile service as you say, so still 16% less compared to the Xmax which gets a consistent 105mpg when being driven normally in mixed town/out of town riding, with no restrictions on rpm or load.
2017 XMAX 300
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B