What top case for a Mk6 Tmax?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
WillowCat
Current Ride: Tmax Mk6

What top case for a Mk6 Tmax?

Post by WillowCat »

I have a dilemma. I MUST have a top box - my bike's my daily commute and gets the weekly shop too so it's a work horse.

I have a Givi on my old bike, the mount rusted out about six months after I fitted it, though the box has been strong all that time (14 years).

I'm looking at the Yammy rear carrier with base plate and the 50l box. I love the look of the carrier and seems streamlined, but the box looks awkwardly shaped and not particularly pretty.

The Givi cases are gorgeous, but the racks/mount look fiddly and frankly a bit naff.

What do people have? What works? Is there any way of fitting a Givi monokey plate to the Yammy rear carrier?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: What top case for a Mk6 Tmax?

Post by MrGrumpy »

The Yamaha box is pretty crap actually - its big but its not a simple box shape, but has several strangely curved sides, meaning its harder to fit things in than it ought to be. The locking mechanism is secured by two tiny screws that look they were designed for model making - normal screwdrivers don't fit, and yes, they came unscrewed! So I'd stick to Givi, though they weren't an option when I bought mine.
I get hopelessly confused between Monokey and Monolock - one's the lighter 'scooterish' range, and the other's more bike orientated. I had the latter on my mk4, it was fine but weighed a ton!!
If you have a carrier, I think the mounting plate fixings for the scooterish Givi range is quite flexible and can be mounted to most racks - then any Givi box (from the right range) will fit on to the mounting plate.

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

I use a Monolock Givi box and rack on my Xmax 300, fantastic piece of equipment and great quality.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Shad or Givi are good . The Proper Yamaha one is probably the best . I had a Yam one on a Mk 2 and it was great , the frame was very strong . not had one on a Mk 4 or 6 but the Yamaha one will have the same key as ignition

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yamaha boxes are normally someone else's rebadged. On the mk4 I had the heavy weight Givi Monokey (I think) box, sometimes a Givi Monolock is fitted, and one along the way was made by NonFango....whoever they are! The current box is more of a Yamaha special - it says on the website who designed it, but as I said, I'm not impressed with its practicality.

WillowCat

Post by WillowCat »

I think given how ugly the Givi rack is I'll fit the Yammy rack and city case base plate, then see if I can fit one of the Givi universal adapter plates on top, so I can fit a Givi box.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

WillowCat wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm I think given how ugly the Givi rack is I'll fit the Yammy rack and city case base plate, then see if I can fit one of the Givi universal adapter plates on top, so I can fit a Givi box.
My MK6 Tmax will be the first scooter i’ve not fitted a top box to,i keep thinking about it,if i were to get one i think i would get the Yamaha rack then like you get a Givi plate and box,would probably go for a 47 litre box,which would be ample for me,my Tmax already had the pillion backrest on installed by the dealer,i guess put on to help sell the scooter,so that would need to be removed if i did go for a top box....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

WillowCat

Post by WillowCat »

Stephen wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 pm My MK6 Tmax will be the first scooter i’ve not fitted a top box to,i keep thinking about it,if i were to get one i think i would get the Yamaha rack then like you get a Givi plate and box,would probably go for a 47 litre box,which would be ample for me,my Tmax already had the pillion backrest on installed by the dealer,i guess put on to help sell the scooter,so that would need to be removed if i did go for a top box....

Steve
Looks like the backrest shares the same rear carrier base as the top case mounting plate so theoretically you can take the backrest off and fit the mounting plate straight to it....half way there already.