European Sales Figures.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Deleted User 407

European Sales Figures.

Post by Deleted User 407 »

Although they dont sell many over here,in Italy the Honda XADV is outselling the Tmax! No sign of many on the Uk sales figures though.Also selling well in other parts of Europe.

http://www.britishdealernews.co.uk/gene ... op-25-2018

Deleted User 7142

Re: European Sales Figures.

Post by Deleted User 7142 »

I do like the XADV and would consider it as a future purchase,i also like the look of the new BMW400x.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Interesting. The Italians do like their big wheel scoots!!
Yamaha should be worried - in Italy, the Tmax usually sells far more than that, historically.
I wonder why they go for the X-ADV rather than the Integra???

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Integras not as bling with spec as the x adv and its a bit plain and lardy, plus its road biased and x adv has at least the ability for a little dirt riding so opens up more places to go ride, i think the tmax has needed a radical change for years now, its latest guise is a bit ugly too, all those years of promising a bigger motor etc and nothing has changed much, resting on your laurels is folly as sooner or later someone else will bring out a game changer, i still prefer the tmax but wish it could be much more powerful and lighter than previous incarnations as now its turned into a bit of a Ford Mondeo.
Dezzie

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

The weight of the Tmax has actually changed very little over the years - its always been a few kg over 200kg. Yamaha even claimed that the mk6 was around 10kg lighter than the previous version. They all look roughly similar as well - all variation on a theme. Its hard to tell which version is which, except by the sort of brakes, forks, exhaust and lights it has! But....as you say the concept is now nearly 20 years old, and people are imitating it! Yamaha have always resisted the idea of putting a bigger engine in as it makes everything bigger and heavier, and thus not so 'scooterish' and these days would put it into a higher licence category.

I bet most X-ADVs go offroad as often as most BMW GS's do!! ie not very often!

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

gardener wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:24 am Although they dont sell many over here,in Italy the Honda XADV is outselling the Tmax! No sign of many on the Uk sales figures though.Also selling well in other parts of Europe.

http://www.britishdealernews.co.uk/gene ... op-25-2018
Here is where they got the info:
https://www.lofficielducycle.com/sites/ ... ropeen.pdf
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

In France, Italy and Spain combined, the Tmax outsold the X-ADV 8,662 to 7,527. That's only 13% more than Honda's almost new bike, with a real DCT transmission, not a scooter-based variator.

All the other maxi-scooter competition is negligible; you see nothing in the top 25 of the BMW C650 GT or Sport (dated, cheap Tmax copies...), the KYMCO AK550 (a much BETTER Tmax copy...), or Honda Integra.

The X-ADV comes in 5 colors, with a really cool quick adjusting windscreen, bigger 17" front wheel, and almost 1/3 BETTER gas mileage than the Tmax. It weighs 22kg more than the Tmax, and still has a chain drive, but sells for only 11,790 to 11,999 Euros. The Tmax STARTS at 12,099 Euros, increasing to 14,199!!!

So, it's newer, more cutting edge technologically, is marketed by Honda as an Adventure/Trails Bike or Crossover Scooter, and is really close to catching the Tmax.

Yamaha better have a bigger-engine/more power/higher efficiency design with a DCT coming, or Honda is Going to EAT them up. They survived the threats from BMW (done in by a cheap design and crap quality) and KYMCO (great alternative and almost 2,000 Euro less..) but the FUTURE is a real DCT.
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

The NC750 is the bike to have
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

SkuTorr wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Yamaha better have a bigger-engine/more power/higher efficiency design with a DCT coming, or Honda is Going to EAT them up. They survived the threats from BMW (done in by a cheap design and crap quality) and KYMCO (great alternative and almost 2,000 Euro less..) but the FUTURE is a real DCT.
Though, when I had a test ride of the X-ADV, I was slightly disappointed that whilst the DCT worked fine, it didn't provide a significantly better riding experience than the cheapo but pretty well sorted CVT fitted to the Tmax, and that most of the driving modes were very very dull. Also the DCT ought to be more efficient fuel wise, especially compared to a belt driven CVT, but it seems that the economy of the NC range of bikes is down to the engine, and DCT versions are significantly less economical than the manual versions unless you stick to the impossibly dreary D mode (or so I read - not that I've done fuel economy tests myself!). And as you point out, the X-ADV isn't as light as perhaps it should be.

Yamaha have seemingly optimised the Tmax to fit its niche perfectly. Whether that niche remains the most successful in future is obviously difficult to tell. Its interesting that the X-ADV has done so well especially since the very similar Integra has been a monumental flop, when the X-ADV is so obviously a bonkers idea. Or maybe that's why its done so well......

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

mottza wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm The NC750 is the bike to have
Yep ! ;)

But just had a week in the Cotswolds with the J300 and loved it to be honest on the back lanes, effortless riding, sensible pace, easy parking & loads of storage....
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X