Burgman 650 now Discontinued.....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Burgman 650 now Discontinued.....

Post by StephenC »

Articles found online a couple of months ago suggested it wouldn't meet Euro 5 emission limits.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

Be very interesting to see what the replacement is

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 am Articles found online a couple of months ago suggested it wouldn't meet Euro 5 emission limits.
Well, maybe, but I'm sure that the 2001 Tmax wouldn't have either! Yamaha developed the same base engine with new tech as it came along (eg Fuel injection, new electronics and now the Fly-by-wire throttle) so that it meets current standards. I can't see any reason why the Burger engine couldn't have been developed to meet new standards, if Suzuki were to put a little money & effort into it.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

It's all about commitment regarding whether or not the 650 motor would meet Euro5. No reason it wouldn't if tinkered with. In fact, the 650 motor was still a very fresh unit after it's upgrade in 2013. Most of the important bits in the engine were replaced. The mechanical bits were indeed quite different to early models as was the transmission.

I used to ride two works 650 Burgs (only one at a time though!). One of those had a transmission failure at 45,000 miles. It's a long complicated process to rebuild, which I did under the guidance of a Suzuki factory tech as part of my training as a bike tech years ago. It took 19.5 hours of hard graft. The problem is, when that happens and it will happen to every single one ever sold eventually unless some sadistic sado religiously rebuilds the tranny before it happens, it's hugely expensive and is the reason so many old ones sell cheap before the belt breaks. It's not just the belt that break usually, it takes out bearings too. Big job!

But, sad to see it go. :(
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

There must surely be a market for something like a new Silverwing as they used to sell very well I think.

If they can make a 300 with a proper swinging arm ( as said before ) it would be a good step forward.

Best Mark.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

Surely it will be replaced wont it

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

charles1976 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:44 am Surely it will be replaced wont it
Suzuki do have some history in dropping even hugely successful bikes, even model ranges, without direct replacements. The Big Burger is more of a niche and the loss of sales won't really be felt that much. It may even boost sales of the 400 in Europe and the USA.

My guess is that like the GSX1400, Bandit range etc. they'll simply let it fade into memory. I would be happy to be proved wrong, though ... and stranger things have happened. ;)

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Think a 500 dct would be good if considerably lighter and engine in frame, a lighter xadv at that capacity if much lighter could be on par with its bigger brother speedwise bur even better on fuel.
Dezzie

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

400 dct be good be in lower tax class and A2 licence as well .Given traffic nowadays do you really need more power .

I suppose its down to weight and cost of dct gear box versus CVT .

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Having bought my first Silverwing 600 in 2010, and exchanging it for a new one in 2014 (after first trying the Burgman 650). I now have a Cruisym 300 as well as my Silverwing, having the choice of rides means, I usually opt to ride the Cruisym. It does everything my silverwing does only more nimbly and without the weight, okay I don't have the top speed of the Silverwing but I rarely used top speed anyway. Cruising at 50/60 mph is very relaxing and getting over 90 mpg is a bonus. It seems most of the Maxi riders are realising 300/400 cc is all that is needed and looks like the big makers agree.