Tmax Smart Key system

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Tmax Smart Key system

Post by MrGrumpy »

Since I've got my Tmax back, I've noticed that a warning light lights up when I switch it on, though it goes off after a while. Its next to the ABS and engine warning lights and has some incomprehensible icon, and I ignored it for a while as it went out everytime.
Decided I'd better get the manual out and turns out its the Smart Key System warning light and when it comes on when you start up, it means the key battery needs changing. Fortunately I'd got some batteries ready!

The manual says typical life is 2 years, and mine is just over 2 years old, but I probably have used it less frequently than most and always turn the key off when not in use, and of course it hasn't been used for 4 months whilst it sat in the dealers!

So...make sure you have batteries ready if your Tmax is nearly 2 years old!

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Re: Tmax Smart Key system

Post by bugsy »

If the dealer had your bike for four months with your smart key, I bet they didn’t switch it off for the whole period. They never do on service day.

On the last trade when my dealer brought the new t max and took away the old I noticed that the warning light came on as he started it......two years to the day it turned out. Yamaha seemed to have got that right then.......

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

bugsy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:21 am If the dealer had your bike for four months with your smart key, I bet they didn’t switch it off for the whole period. They never do on service day.

On the last trade when my dealer brought the new t max and took away the old I noticed that the warning light came on as he started it......two years to the day it turned out. Yamaha seemed to have got that right then.......
I was worrying all the time that the key wouldn't be switched off, but the manual says that it is supposed to turn itself off if not used for a week or so - but as they all seem to run flat after 2 years, however much or little used, maybe they don't actually fully switch off at all!!

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Yes I carry a spare battery on the XMax 300 'just in case' - haven't needed it yet so it's probably going flat as well!
Was prompted to do so by Forza 300 owners' tales of their keyfobs going flat after a couple of months; it seems Yamaha have a better system; and the dashboard does warn you when the battery's getting low.
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

One of the first things I did was find out what type of battery it needed and order a couple of spares; I'll keep one under the seat at all times. And before you ask, the mechanical key in the fob can open the under-seat storage! ;)

Nick

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Mine flashed after 14 months , but I was using the bike every day . I found it a great system and one thing I miss on the Evo