T-Max Underseat Bag

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Re: T-Max Underseat Bag

Post by Whatsisname »

I think you only need the jacket if you're stopped/broken down. Less certain is the reflective stickers on the helmet (Ooerr!) requirement. technically this applies to everybody, since it's in their highway code, but tourists seem to be left alone. Some say that it's effectively an extra charge they can add to the list if you're stopped for speeding or cause an accident, so staying the right side of the law is a good plan.

Here's a European guide.

http://www.fema-online.eu/website/index ... ng-abroad/
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:56 am Alright, the tunnel bag is starting to sound like a sound investment! the Mk6 T-Max only has one glovebox, and it's pretty difficult to reach into while wearing gloves. The french throw the book at you if you can't produce your high-vis bib without leaving the driver's seat, and with sunglasses, wallets and autoroute passes...

Anyone got any photos they can share?

Nick
I've taken a photo of the bag on my mk6

You can just see one of the fabric loops under the fuel filler flap.

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Oh wow, that's a lot bigger than I expected! Having to move it every time I filled up would be a bit of a pain, and I've got 500 miles to cover on day one...

Apparently, the 50litre top-box is back-ordered until September, so I've had to track down somewhere I could order the 39litre. I may need the console bag to make up the 11 litres I'm losing!

Regarding helmet stickers, the loophole I recall is that helmets bought in France have to have those stickers, and that if you buy/wear helmets bought elsewhere you're clear. But as you say, the french police a) don't seem to exist b) don't seem to bother tourists.

Nick

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

EvilRacer329 wrote "the french police a) don't seem to exist b) don't seem to bother tourists."
The French speed cameras have a different attitude. Largest complaints on UK Bikers Touring Europe Facebook page is about returning home and then getting speeding fine through the post. Some are for exceeding the limit by 4 to 5 mph. Some for the riders not realising you have to travel well below the speed limit on wet/damp roads. Not defending them for breaking the speed limit but it would appear you don't get the UK 10% leniency.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 am Oh wow, that's a lot bigger than I expected! Having to move it every time I filled up would be a bit of a pain, and I've got 500 miles to cover on day one...

Don't think you'd have to move it... the flap still opens as normal so the petrol neck should still be reasonably accessible. You might have to scrunch the bag up a bit. Though with the fuel flap open, the bag will just lift off anyway. Its biggish, though its a funny shape, so big objects eg a full face helmet won't go in there.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 am
Apparently, the 50litre top-box is back-ordered until September, so I've had to track down somewhere I could order the 39litre. I may need the console bag to make up the 11 litres I'm losing!
Is that the Yamaha box you are referring to? I'd buy a Givi anyway. I'm Not impressed by the Yam box - its big but instead of being a nice rectangle shape, someone has got arty and made it a sort of wedge shape which seems to make it awkward - you always seem to be struggling to actually get things in and shut the lid. Also some poor design details - its far too easy to bend your key in the lock since it didn't occur to the designer that you might have other keys and a key ring with the box key (the handle has to pass over the key), and part of the mechanism that locks the box to the rack is secured by two of the tiniest screws you've ever seen - too small for normal screwdrivers - and yes, they came unscrewed!

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I've been flashed a couple times in France, but given that the French vandalised 90% of their speed cameras during the riots last year I got nothing in the mail afterwards. Amazing what a can of spray paint on the lens can do, I guess! Not that I'm advocating vandalism/speeding...

I heard what you're saying about the top box, but I really dislike the ugly scaffolding mounting systems that after-market hard luggage uses. Maybe I'll hate the Yamaha box so much that I'll change my mind, so watch this space! The official mounting hardware is really neatly integrated...

I'll wait and see how much extra space I need, but it's good to know that the console bag could still be an option.

Thanks again!

Nick

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

I have put the Givi rack and a Monokey mounting plate on my Tmax DX,when i brought it,the dealer had put a little pillion back rest on,so that had to be removed,then i dug the original grab rails from the spare room,the instructions took a bit of studying,mostly Italian,with a couple of words in English,anyway its fitted,so now to get a top box.

Sportsbikeshop states if a selected top box is in stock or not,motorcycle planet aren’t so clear,The main Givi uk warehouse is only 20 miles from me In Daventry,would be handy if i could go there direct.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

After a test-pack last week and finding a number of items I hadn't accounted for I've caved and ordered the tunnel bag to carry 'during-the-day' use items like spare visors, visor cleaner, water bottles etc. Also means I can maybe take items like my camera for easy access! I still reckon the bigger top box is going to be on the shopping list for next year's big Scandinavian trip though...

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:30 am I still reckon the bigger top box is going to be on the shopping list for next year's big Scandinavian trip though...

Nick
You can never have too much luggage space.....although the more space you have, the more you pack, so you need yet more space which allows you to pack yet more.........