Tmax CVT Recall

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Re: Tmax CVT Recall

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Thanks, MrGrumpy. Do you recall which parts of the CVT exactly it is that needed replacing in your case? I'm looking here: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/59 ... s/clutch-2 and assuming it's either #14 and #15 or #1 and #7 (all on back-order, interestingly...)

It would also be interesting to know if those are the original/defective part numbers or the new replacement part numbers, redesigned to resolve the problem.

I'm thinking I may drop it off at my dealer and at least try my luck with Yamaha, but I'd like to have all my options mapped out if I can!

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 am Thanks, MrGrumpy. Do you recall which parts of the CVT exactly it is that needed replacing in your case? I'm looking here: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/59 ... s/clutch-2 and assuming it's either #14 and #15 or #1 and #7 (all on back-order, interestingly...)
Sorry, really not sure exactly what was changed. I was shown a surprisingly large box containing my parts but I barely got a glimpse at what was inside it. You might be able to get the info from Yamaha Tech Services, or I might be able to check back with the Yamaha dealer at York.
One would assume the part numbers are for the newer versions of the parts, as you wouldn't expect them to sell duff versions.....would you???

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:25 am Sorry, really not sure exactly what was changed. I was shown a surprisingly large box containing my parts but I barely got a glimpse at what was inside it. You might be able to get the info from Yamaha Tech Services, or I might be able to check back with the Yamaha dealer at York.
One would assume the part numbers are for the newer versions of the parts, as you wouldn't expect them to sell duff versions.....would you???
Hah! I really hope not, but Fowler's microfiche only lists 2017 models, so it's possible that they're not up-to-date...my dealer will have the latest though, so I can compare numbers. Of course, that assumes I've correctly guessed which parts are faulty, which is questionable at best...

Damnit Yamaha, you had one job!

Nick

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Alright, T-Max is booked in with Motorcycle World, my local dealer, and I'll drop it off tomorrow. They're happy to charge me a basic diagnostic fee to verify the issue and raise the question with Yamaha. MrGrumpy (or anyone else who's had this issue) - this may be asking too much, but do you have a case number from Yamaha I can give them as additional evidence? I'm hoping to do whatever I can to help push my case through to someone who has the power to agree to foot the bill, rather than risk getting fobbed off at the first hurdle...

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 am Alright, T-Max is booked in with Motorcycle World, my local dealer, and I'll drop it off tomorrow. . MrGrumpy (or anyone else who's had this issue) - this may be asking too much, but do you have a case number from Yamaha I can give them as additional evidence?
No, after my initial call to Yamaha Tech Services, I wasn't involved as they asked me to get the dealer to ring them, and there was a fairly lengthy negotiation process between the dealer and Yamaha that was entirely hidden from me. As you say, the dealer told me that they had to make a case to Yamaha to fund the replacement - which was in part based on the hassles I had with the failed bearing!
If you PM me, I can supply my details / Reg No / VIN whatever so you can refer to my case in your negotiations.

Whether your dealer will even spot the problem could be a problem - my dealer failed to spot it at all when I took it to them!

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Eugh; fingers crossed it is, then! I've sent you a PM.

I described in detail how to replicate the issue to my dealer, they said they'd look at it tuesday. You can pretty reliably trigger it by taking it up to around 70mph and then whacking the throttle open as in an overtake. The revs climb to about 6k and then suddenly slip to 6.5k pretty reliably - especially on a bumpier road that's providing sudden spikes of rolling resistance to trip it over.

My guess is that is't the primary (front) pulleys that are flexing, as under these conditions the belt will be riding out near the edges of the primary and down in the middle on the secondary. I guess it could also be some sort of contamination on the belt or a slipping clutch, but given the experiences of everyone else on this thread it seems unlikely.

I'm prepared for the worst, which is having to pay for the parts and repair it myself - but I'm hoping that they can at least confirm which parts are faulty!

Nick

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Quick update for those still interested.

It seems my dealer didn't bother trying to replicate the issue, they were quite happy to take my word for it and went straight to Yamaha technical. Apparently, the rep said that he thought there was further work outstanding as part of the recall than just the final drive belt and ECU, potentially alluding to the CVT repairs that some folks have reported getting done at the same time. Fingers crossed Yamaha comes back with an affirmative on that score!

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 am Quick update for those still interested.

It seems my dealer didn't bother trying to replicate the issue, they were quite happy to take my word for it and went straight to Yamaha technical. Apparently, the rep said that he thought there was further work outstanding as part of the recall than just the final drive belt and ECU, potentially alluding to the CVT repairs that some folks have reported getting done at the same time. Fingers crossed Yamaha comes back with an affirmative on that score!

Nick
Sounds slightly positive! My dealer couldn't replicate the fault, despite claiming to try. I think part of the problem is that with the Tmax being a pretty rare beast, dealers have no idea what's normal and what's not.

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Good news, everyone!

Got a call from one of the service guys at Motorcycle World in Northampton this afternoon. Yamaha have sent them a looooong list of parts to order and install in my bike that is described as a "CVT kit". In other words, they're acknowledging the fault and are repairing it for free! I honestly couldn't believe my luck.

I've taken MrGrumpy's advice and agreed to cover the cost of a new belt even though it's not due, simply because it seems insane to rebuilt an entire CVT with a half-worn belt. They've also said they'll give me a copy of the parts order when I collect the bike; I'll share it here if I can in case it's of any use to others.

Still, I believe that this confirms many of our theories on this issue while giving hope to those of us who don't uncover the problem until the warranties on our scooters are well-and-truly expired. I don't know how hard my dealer had to fight for me on this, but the result has impressed the hell out of me. Yamaha didn't really have any obligation to help me here, and in an era when simply standing by your product and doing right by your customers is increasingly rare, I'm a very happy customer. The parts should be in Monday, bike ready for collection a couple of days later. Apparently the workshop is very quiet this time of year, otherwise it might've taken a lot longer.

But let's be honest here; I daresay they still had the files open from MrGrumpy's case and couldn't be bothered to get into another 3-month-long argument!

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, that's brilliant! And very quick as well - the hidden negotiations between my dealer and Yamaha went on for weeks, and it seemed to have been a process. So yours was completely out of warranty? Mine was only a year old when I reported the first symptoms, and was just out of warranty when it came back from its 4 month holiday in York, and was about a month out of warranty when they agreed to replace it.
I wonder why they don't replace all the 2017 models' CVT? Apart from the expense....
Congrats!