Tmax mk6 pillion comfort?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax mk6 pillion comfort?

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:30 pm For those interested, I finished my write-up: https://boymeetsbike.com/2019/09/22/i-b ... ax-530-dx/
Interesting! Thanks. I told you that it was possible to drag fuel consumption down to 40mpg if you thrash it!

Interesting that you compare the handling with that of a BMW Telelever system....whilst I've never ridden a bike with Telelever or Paralever system, I've always thought that the Tmax handles how I imagine that a 'funny front end' bike would feel (if that makes any sense!). Its the separation of the steering and suspension feeling that's so interesting on the mk6...at least until the road becomes bumpy enough to dispel the impression! Its quite different in feel to the mk1 - 4 Tmax so I presume its down to the upside down forks (the mk5 had similar looking forks but I've never ridden one, so I don't know how similar it is to the mk6). The Tmax mk3 is great fun to ride, and you feel everything and it gives you great feedback, but the mk6 is more....refined I guess. I don't find it lacks feel. Its notable how well the mk6 handles bends on hills and with difficult cambers - you had to make some effort with other versions, but the mk6 just swings round effortlessly.
Reading your review I suspect that the Tmax was really designed for one person hooning around (like me), and not really designed with 2-up long distance touring in mind, but I guess its the genius of the maxi-scoot that it can do almost anything and everything pretty well (OK I wouldn't take it off road!).

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:30 pm For those interested, I finished my write-up: https://boymeetsbike.com/2019/09/22/i-b ... ax-530-dx/

There's not a lot more to add for pillion comfort, but it does go into more detail on the two-up experience.

Nick
Good review.Thanks for sharing. Might get a better audience in the Ride out section. Just a thought.
I have also shared it on 3 other Facebook pages. One of which (Over 50 and on two wheels) has a real "downer" on scooters. Will be interesting to the responses it gets from there.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Thanks for the feedback folks, always appreciated!

MrGrumpy - I've ridden a lot of new bikes for review, and the T-Max has one of the most impressive stock suspension systems I've come across. Firm enough to provide a good corner response, yet compliant over bumps. Most software systems hydrolock over harsher bumps, causing the chassis to shudder, while still wallowing when the going gets faster. Impressive.

Muddyfox - thanks for the tip; I wasn't necessarily chasing traffic here, more that I thought it was relevant to this thread and didn't want to have to repeat myself. :D Still, thanks for sharing, and do let me know what the reception is! I disabled comments on my blog a looooong time ago, as it was 95% spam...

Nick

Nyarlathotep
Current Ride: Tmax mk3 and R1200RT

Post by Nyarlathotep »

A really good, well written, write up on the mk6 there!

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Thanks, I appreciate it! :)

Nick