NC750X DCT

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: NC750X DCT

Post by MrGrumpy »

XMax400Paul wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:14 am
Seems a little agricultural at low revs - down to the 270 crank, and labours a bit in D...

Trying to fathom all the extra display, change colour setting, open and close message bollox!
That's what put me off the X-ADV when I test rode it. There again, riding in S2 or S3 modes cures it to an extent! I know it probably doesn't make the slightest difference in reality, but possibly better to run an S mode when running in so keep engine running smoothly and under less load....though I guess the engine only sounds like its slogging away rather than actually labouring.

The Tmax's electronic dash is much simpler than Honda ones, but I rapidly gave up with it!

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

If I am in no hurry to get any where I stay in D, but in all modes I predict the gear changes for corners by giving it a bit of acceleration if I feel like it will drop when I don't want it or if I deliberately come in too fast drop the accelerator early this times the gear drop it does just right to get me round the corner in the right gear followed by playing with the revs to remain in gear and then pull out. It also depends on the corner...
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Sounds complicated, is the DCT better or worse than CVT Yes or No.
Reason for the question I'm going to be riding one in traffic for the first time. My Silverwing is good, so I don't want any rider input.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Yes, you get more engine braking.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Dave Weller wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:39 am Sounds complicated, is the DCT better or worse than CVT Yes or No.
That was my thought as well!!
I've only ridden a DCT for approx an hour on my X-ADV test ride - my impression was whilst the DCT generally works fine - and is presumably more efficient than a CVT - it didn't seem to actually add anything to the riding experience, compared to a cheap crude CVT. I was expecting some sort of computer controlled genius, but I got something that did the job....pretty well. I did experience the odd glitch eg I accelerated rapidly away from a junction to overtake a slow person, but after that the DCT decided to hold on to 1st or 2nd despite me slowing down and took a bit of persuading that my hooligan phase had now finished and it could return to normal boring mode!

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

There are a couple of benefits that I can see. Firstly, fuel economy is improved, though I don't know how much of that is down to the direct-drive technology versus very conservative shift programming. Secondly, DCT servicing consists of an additional oil filter to clean I believe, as opposed to an expensive variomatic belt. Finally, some people prefer the "feel" of a direct-drive gearbox versus the mushier-feeling CVT. I think it's down to personal preferences and priorities.

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, yes, I sometimes do think the advantage of the NC+DCT drive train is that there are no wretched rubber bands to replace! And fitting an auto oiler would in theory avoid frequent chain maintenance.
The DCT should be more efficient, though whilst I've no direct experience, I've seen figures in magazines that suggest the NC engined bikes with DCT are significantly less economical than their manual equivalents, and I think I've read somewhere that using the S modes (like I would) or even semi-auto rather than D mode increases consumption significantly. Obviously I won't know until I try it for real!
The TMax mk6 set up does seem to be significantly more economical than previous versions - even I can achieve 58 or so in normal riding - whether that's down to the most recent CVT or the computer controlled throttle or what I'm not sure.
Yes, the feel of the CVT vs DCT is a matter of personal taste. I suspect the CVT will drive people used to manual bikes a bit potty with the indirect and fluid feeling connection between throttle and drive, and they would prefer the DCT, at least initially. Personally I'm entirely used to the CVT and quite enjoy its characteristics. As I mentioned, I was expecting the DCT to be fun when I test rode the X-ADV but it didn't seem to add anything.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

As an owner and long time regular on the dedicated NC Forum I'm unaware of DCT having any negative impact on mpg, in reality it's easier to achieve the "official" mpg using DCT rather than have a human involved in the process.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I did see some figures in a magazine....I did cut it out, but I seem to have lost it in one of my rare purges on junk!

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Lovin' the NC and DCT...
In D around town it seems to change its mind as often as my wife!
In S1 mode it changes stroke for stroke as i would...
With the occasional down shift by button for a corner or roundabout... When, like me, its not looking where its going properly...
And as suggested, feels better and less laboured for running in...
S2 and S3 will bectried in due course after its been run in a bit...
Took the eldest for a ride and ice cream on sunday...
Quite enjoyed it and noticed quite a difference over being on the XMax400...