NC750X DCT

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Re: NC750X DCT

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Don't get me wrong - if your chain is going out of adjustment every 500 miles you've got issues, but it's still a good idea to check it regularly. Sticking links, damage etc. can all get missed if you ignore it for too long. I also use the heavy-duty DID chains, and probably find I need to adjust them once or twice in their 20,000-mile lifespans!

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Since we've been talking about chain lubrication, I found this video from the FortNine guy about the effectiveness of various chain lube substances, which I found very interesting, if not entirely relevant to me!

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

On my CBF600S I use a light fully synthetic oil squirted on from the old oil can (brought new in about 1970)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Wesc ... Swh~9dWRKD
It has cost me nothing over the years, and I think I have never brought a new chain, (replaced bikes quite often though).
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I'm a big fan of FortNine's videos, but this is one where I felt his scientific method had some big holes. Yes, gear oil works very well, is cheaper than cans of chain lube and is even what your manufacturer officially recommends if you read the instruction manual. What this video doesn't take into account is how much of that oil is still on there after 50, 150 or 250 miles. A quick fling test isn't really sufficient to simulate what happens over more than a few hundred rotations, and the major difference between regular oil and sticky chain lube is that it's meant to keep working over real-world distances without needing reapplication.

If you have a short commute in dry weather and can re-apply the oil every day or so, then absolutely brush some gear oil on there, it'll probably work great. But it's not a good solution for 3,000-mile tours or even 50-mile commutes in the rain.

Nick

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Chainsaw oil may be worth a try if you want something different, it's very sticky and is made to stay in place whilst whirling around.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I used anti fling chain saw oil for years till my supply ran out, it worked very well.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

So... One more sleep
Pick up the NC750X DCT tommorow...
The XMax400 has been fun...

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Went and picked up the screen for 'Dobbin' the SH125 from 21s Moto... Then Wetherspoons for breakfast.
Got to Dobles about 12, and left about 1 just as it started raining... Arse!
So the ride home, on unfamiliar roads, unfamiliar bike, brand new tyres and brakes in what became pi$$ing rain...
So was straight home in D mode via the petrol station...
Been out in the garage... Riot Shield of a screen now on Dobbin...
As for the NC (No name as yet...) Mudguard off and fender extender on... Bolt back tommorow with fork guards...
Shorth brake lever on... Shock Sock on... Rad guard looks like it will need a bit or manipulation...
Screen is fine but orderd screen adjuster brackets for the extra inch or two from eBay - China for about £15 rather than Honda for £100...
Seems a little agricultural at low revs - down to the 270 crank, and labours a bit in D...
Was in D mode and manually nudging a gear down for bends and roundabouts, to keep the drive tension on the wet roads...
Mudguard is back on... After spending an age looking for the missing mudguard bush i must of dropped somewhere between the garage and the lounge where the extender was afixxed... You know the one... The one that is acually part of the mounting bracket... And wasnt missing at all... Anyone had that? Can't just of been me!
Trying to fathom all the extra display, change colour setting, open and close message bollox!

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

I do sometimes feel the engine lugs too much in D, sure it isn't really but I kept it in S1 for the entirety of initial run-in period.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Just back from a quick ride of main-ish roads an some B road lanes around Westerham, Edenbridge and Sevenoaks...
Quite a marked difference between D and S1...
D seems to change its mind more often than my wife! :D