Contemplating 1st ever Scooter.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Beetle
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300

Contemplating 1st ever Scooter.

Post by Beetle »

Hi,i've just joined the forum,this is my 1st post(after intro).
As the title says i'm(we're)thinking of buying a scooter,we've owned biggish 2up bikes on & off since 1961,but never a scooter.
We're(wife & myself) getting older the & biggish touring type Bikes we have been riding for the last 20yrs. or so are getting too heavy for me & to be honest I really just fancy trying a scooter for all the reasons you guys have known about(probably for years) & i'm only just catching on :mrgreen: .

My thoughts are buy an older(cheaper)scooter so I can make sure scootering is for us,it has to be 2 up capable & be able to keep up with UK speed limits.
Just as an example i've spotted an 08 Xevo400,that is the right money & looks the right sort of scooter that would work for us,but I no zilch about them,so i'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice & recommendations,if I let my heart rule my head,i'd just go & buy a new Vespa HPE,but probably not the "sensible" thing to do (sensible & motorbikes don't mix all that well do they :D )so i'm going to try & keep to a budget of £1500 & do the best I can for that,then if we're happy with scootering sell our present bike & then go for it properly,although an 08 Xevo,may be all we really need.

Cheers,Graham.(sorry about the long 1st post,i've tried to rain it in :lol: )

Deleted User 7077

Re: Contemplating 1st ever Scooter.

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

400 is good choice for 2 up .Ask about service history and if belt has been changed is my advice .If its cheap enough and no history just allow some money to do the jobs belt brakes oil and filters ect .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, something in the 300 -400cc range might be a good start, as they have enough performance. As ever it depends on what you want to do with it - if you are basically going to doddle round town, then something smaller (like the Vespa) would be good, but if you are doing longer trips than a more touring orientated scoot might work. One good place to start might be a Suzuki Burgman 400 - there are heaps around as they've been made since 1999 in various forms. The 2008 onward ones had some mechanical upgrades. They are more touring type scoot - they are actually quite a big scoot, with lots of luggage room. Otherwise, Kymco and Sym are names that may not be so familiar to you coming from bikes - they are Taiwanese and make top notch scoots.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

If your used to big bikes an early silverwing might be the one. 50bhp, 600cc, lots of room and comfort, and its a Honda. :)
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

Have a look at something like this .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-HOND ... Sw-0FdVT~Q
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

Beetle
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300

Post by Beetle »

thanks for the replies,i'm trying to keep below £1.5K,so the appeal of the xevo is it's an 08 for a bit less,i think I might struggle to get a similar year Burgman or Silverwing for similar money ?,any thoughts on whether an older Burgman or Silverwing would be more preferable than the Xevo,in terms of owning/reliability etc. ?.
The other thing about the xevo that appeals is the rider & passenger are at roughly the same level/head height(according to cycle-ergo), which the boss would prefer.
If I thought a Vespa GTS would be ok for 2 up,i would make it 1st option,but at the money i'm in at it would have to be a 250ie,maybe pushing it a bit to expect decent 2 up performance & comfort ?,of course i'm only guessing I've never ridden any of them.
Obviously there's no knowledge attached to my comments,just my thoughts,so please put me straight if i'm talking crap.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Again, depends on your use. The Silverwing is a big beast with a lovely engine, whilst the Xevo is rather more basic. Both the Silvewing and Burgman 400 are decently designed scoots without too many problems - the Silverwing changed only very subtley over its life span, whilst the Burger 400 evolved slowly but steadily (the earliest ones probably the iffiest!).
Opinions on Piaggio reliability and dependability vary! To an extent its taking a punt. I had a Beverly 350ST for a while and it had its stengths and weaknesses. I did have a few issues with it, though they weren't disasters. At least the Piaggio Group seemed to have got their spare parts service sorted out these days - it used to be awful but now seems very effective!
As for any bike at that sort of price, you are buying the owner and condition as much as the bike itself - something well cared for may be worth considering even if it isn't the scoot you might have chosen.
Old Tmaxs are worth considering, though even 12 year old ones will probably exceed your budget. The old ones seem to have been well put together.

Deleted User 7077

There's an 08 xevo 400 up road from me for £1295 with 20 k miles on it .I think its good value at that no rear rack tho and they are expensive as it hinges . When compare to a 2013 Burgman at £2495 with 12 k miles that's a cat d he has not far off half the price

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

horobags wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:21 am If your used to big bikes an early silverwing might be the one. 50bhp, 600cc, lots of room and comfort, and its a Honda. :)
I'd heed this advice, seriously. 8-)

Deleted User 7077

I had vespa Gt 200 which was pre gts but same chassis I found it very cramped with wife on and she's tiny .Bang for buck xevo beats gts on used prices high due to it being popular . Plus have to be careful with rust on a gts around £1500 mark .