Contemplating 1st ever Scooter.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!

Beetle
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300

Re: Contemplating 1st ever Scooter.

Post by Beetle »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:44 am I agree then I see a 2016 70th anniversary model GTS 300 for sale local for more than I'd spend on a decent 400 Burgman and common sense goes out the window .
MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:20 am Many people have 'affairs' with Vespas - I've never been tempted, but I've never ridden one!
I can't help feeling that however fun the bigger Vespas are, a modern Maxi is more practical - more space, more luggage room, more grunt (depending on model obviously), maybe better weather protection. There again, whatever Maxis are, its all about your personal desires and needs!

Thank you both & thanks all for all other comments.
It's fair to point out that i've never ridden any scooter(only motorbikes) & i agree that for our use (2up & just riding for the sake of it) a Maxi looks like the better option,but my wife doesn't like the elevated passenger position that sticks her head up above mine(we started riding together in 61',when all bikes had flat seats & i have to say looked like motorbikes) :) & it looks like the popular Maxis(Burgman etc) all have that elevated rear seat ? .
The Vespa certainly gives that riding position but 'till we at least sit on one,that may be all it has going for it.
Also it looks like with a Vespa,my self imposed budget will be blown to hell. :mrgreen:

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

My wife is the same she liked the Vespa for that reason .She rarely goes on back now unless her car is not working .She may do if get back into motorhoming and taking the scooter .

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

simple way of learning for me is watch a few youtube videos.. you get to see and hear loads of info that might help with your final purchace .iv'e not had a Vespa ( yet) . but have come close a couple of times . gts300 in metallic green , does look awesome .. but you need to test one before you jump in. as going from big wheels to smaller wheels is an eye opener if you've never tried it. it doesn't take long to adapt. but you have to be aware pot holes an bumps are more intense with smaller wheels. also that you need to plan overtaking , as you don't have the power anymore to just blast by.
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

Sh300s don’t have small wheels and can be had for much less. We had 2 tmaxs and though the sh is slower, is nearly 90 2up compared to 100mph, on the autobahn of course, such a big deal? If we had the sh first and now with a tmax I think I would be disappointed with the weight, handling and ground clearance for something as sporty as they are touted. Also strangely enough, the sh pulls away sharper and even stranger pulls off more overtakes! Not very stylish though the sh, but I like it and that is the best requirement, to just like something.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

....which demonstrates how different our likes & dislikes are! I had an SH300, but whilst it does go stupendously well, I grew to dislike it immensely as it was probably the most uncomfortable scoot I've ever ridden! Cramped, vestigal wind protection, unpleasant riding position, so-so ride, no luggage space...shall I go on? I'm sticking to Tmaxs!

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:18 am ....which demonstrates how different our likes & dislikes are! I had an SH300, but whilst it does go stupendously well, I grew to dislike it immensely as it was probably the most uncomfortable scoot I've ever ridden! Cramped, vestigal wind protection, unpleasant riding position, so-so ride, no luggage space...shall I go on? I'm sticking to Tmaxs!
About the only thing I can agree with you on is the small space under the seat, quite large compared to most motorbikes though and not a priority for me. As for ride and the lack of screen, I changed the shocks and fitted a screen, I don’t expect bikes to be like cars where one setting suits all, individual requirements can make or break a bike and they are all set for average use. Riding position I like though the bars are close but the seat is plush and I don’t need much room as I ride the bike not do excercises on it. Shall I go on?