Contemplating 1st ever Scooter.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Contemplating 1st ever Scooter.

Post by MrGrumpy »

Beetle wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:29 pm
MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 am What's with this sudden popularity of Xevo 400s???
Well for me they're cheap ;)
Well, have a look for some Burgman and Yamaha Majesty / Xmax 400s. There are tons of Burgers around and prices seem quite cheap to me - and they've been around so long there are some at every conceivable price point!

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

If Burgman 400 look for double front disc ones they also have double cam engine.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I was thinking about this below £1500 scoot .How are you with spanners as bound to be few things need doing. Also have you looked at honda SH 300 a lot lighter than 400 maxis .I've got the poor mans SH the Sym city com find it a lot easier than 400 Burgman in fact sorned it as have few repairs to do plus needs MOT soon and using the City com at moment .Might have to up budget tho not may cheap ones and usually rough at £13 to 1500

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

We had two Piaggio X8 250's from brand new back in 2009 (one for my wife and one for me)

The X8 was an earlier version of the Xevo. Other than some styling changes, not much difference between them.

Owning it made me stay away from non-Japanese/Asian scooters for good. We had a bunch of things go wrong with our X8's and parts from Italy was a nightmare. Any expense was luckily under warranty, but sometimes we had to wait for months for parts.

Since the X8 I've had a Honda PCX 125, Yamaha Majesty 400 and now the Yamaha Tmax. Had no trouble at all with these past 3 scooters.

I know you can get a lemon from any manufacturer, but just seemed weird that the 2 Piaggio's we had were not good. Once bitten twice shy.

Id only buy an Xevo if I lived next door to a Piaggio parts factory.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but the above is my experience with Piaggio

Aaron

Deleted User 7077

They used to call it character on here years a go when a lot had piaggio scooters and wouldn't have a bad word said about them .

Deleted User 7077

As said in previous post need to be okay with spanners buying cheap scooter .Otherwise may cost as much in repairs.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Aaron wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Id only buy an Xevo if I lived next door to a Piaggio parts factory.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but the above is my experience with Piaggio
Probably wouldn't do you any good as the parts would have to go via Turin anyway!
When I had an Aprilia in the early 2000s, the spare parts service was disastrous. However, when I owned a Piaggio Bev 350 during 2014-2018 approx, the parts service was actually very effective (in the UK anyway).

Beetle
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300

Post by Beetle »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:35 am As said in previous post need to be okay with spanners buying cheap scooter .Otherwise may cost as much in repairs.
I'm not too bad with spanners & luckily our Bass player has a biggish workshop & can work on anything from bikes(mostly old BM's)to tractors etc.

I'm taking on board all the comments about Piaggio's possible parts & service "issues",but I think when you're trying to buy cheapish(something we don't normally do)condition is the most important factor,especially because a test ride is probably going to be difficult,if not impossible.

On the test ride subject I've also discovered that even on new dealer bikes test rides are going to be difficult because the dealer insurance won't cover me because of my age. :shock:, sometimes being too old is as bad as being to young(with insurance).

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

This is a great buy, and a lot of Honda for the money, don`t worry about the miles, they go for 100K or so if looked after.

A Black one too !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-HOND ... Sw-0FdVT~Q

Best Mark.

Deleted User 7077

I think he'd be better with an S wing 125 .

It will be way I head if still riding at 70