The end of the road

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Re: The end of the road

Post by tmaxrobbo »

When fully recovered maybe try a Honda cub , one of the new ones . lighter and pretty agile . However given your situation it may be time to call it a day . Time off a bike can be good to get your mojo back

Deleted User 7142

Post by Deleted User 7142 »

Hope you feel better soon and good luck with any decision you make.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Meldrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:01 am

An added bonus is in the eyes of the Lycra clad racing bike types, an eBike isn't a classed as a'proper bike', and where have we all heard that line before. :D
That is becoming very much less the case with the new super eBikes you were talking on. During the TdF, one of the teams went for an eBike training spin on their rest day and a lot of pro riders get their partners out on them when training.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Meldrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:01 am it's a lot less hassle than getting suited up in all the gear you need for all seasons riding on a maxi.
That was the main reason why Mrs Capitano's last scooter went in favour of an e-bike. For local journeys and leisure rides they make perfect sense.

It might be an option to consider for the OP. 8-)

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Meldrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:01 am .........One way I could go next is to buy an eBike, they were all rather crude and basic and there wasn’t that much choice when I bought my Dutch push bike five years ago. Nowadays there's some real beauties, and a couple I've looked at cost more than my Forza. The type of eBike I like are more cargo and touring oriented, with Gates belt drive, disc brakes, and CVT type gears.

My experience of the last few years of all year round cycling in hot cold or wet weather on a push bike is, it's a lot less hassle than getting suited up in all the gear you need for all seasons riding on a maxi...........
Well Meldrew, that is a bloody good way to go for anyone these days, especially us scoot and bike riders. The bikes have in 2019, I would say, have enough R&D and technology built into them and are now, amazing machines. I have a 2019 Trek Powerfly which did indeed cost more than my new accessoried-up NMAX125!

I was only thinking today how I wouldn't be without mine now, such fun and convenience too, despite the cost .......... and these bikes are only gonna get better and more accessible.

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

If i sell my Forza and work search is nigh on impossible i will go the ebike route, as much as i want to build a custom bike the ebikes are popping up which look great and obviously i can get off the roads full of arseholes that try to kill me daily and go for nice jaunts to the coast etc as i am getting fatter and in more pain and having the extra power is the difference of me not going out riding in the wind and rain to actually pushing me as i am getting more angry and dispondant with riding every day but thats my only outlet so i stick it out hoping for a miracle, i just miss the fun and freedom i used to get with motorbikes but the tech has caught up with ebikes now to make that a more viable option.
Dezzie

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Good point Meldrew, it looks as if even my triking days may be over soon and what on earth do I do with all the junk,boots,suits,gloves etc.? Will the charity shops appreciate them ?

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Getting into biking gear is an added bind especially at 82, but having a garage full of four bikes all licenced and ready to run give choices...., having recently recovered from cardiac intervention surgery (and able to drive in a couple more days following lay-off) it’s soothing to know I have choices of what to ride when I want, or feel like it.

To have NO choices would bore me to tears and probably hasten my demise.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Jimo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:57 am Getting into biking gear is an added bind especially at 82, but having a garage full of four bikes all licenced and ready to run give choices...., having recently recovered from cardiac intervention surgery (and able to drive in a couple more days following lay-off) it’s soothing to know I have choices of what to ride when I want, or feel like it.

To have NO choices would bore me to tears and probably hasten my demise.

Jim
I can empathise, from a post surgery point of view if a 25 years younger one. That was the reason I spent a year messing around trying to get my rides rideable in my post-op condition, successfully with one, and not with the other.

My decision was to ride when I wanted to rather than own and ride less, hence my change of vehicle. Keep on rollin' fella. 8-)

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Meldrew wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 am Riding is now simply another retirement activity I do. I'm off on the Forza to France tomorrow for a bit of touring
Nice one Meldrew; no 'end of the road' for you at the moment ........... where are you off to and for how long?

I suppose you'll pack under the seat and use a top box?