The end of the road

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: Foresight 250 92 Helix
Great Britain
Re: The end of the road

Post by Jimo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:57 am

Getting into biking gear is an added bind especially at 82, but having a garage full of four bikes all licenced and ready to run give choices...., having recently recovered from cardiac intervention surgery (and able to drive in a couple more days following lay-off) it’s soothing to know I have choices of what to ride when I want, or feel like it.

To have NO choices would bore me to tears and probably hasten my demise.

Jim
'52 Sunbeam S8, '83 Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, '98 Honda FES250 Foresight, '92 Honda Helix

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90
Great Britain

Post by capitano » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Jimo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:57 am
Getting into biking gear is an added bind especially at 82, but having a garage full of four bikes all licenced and ready to run give choices...., having recently recovered from cardiac intervention surgery (and able to drive in a couple more days following lay-off) it’s soothing to know I have choices of what to ride when I want, or feel like it.

To have NO choices would bore me to tears and probably hasten my demise.

Jim
I can empathise, from a post surgery point of view if a 25 years younger one. That was the reason I spent a year messing around trying to get my rides rideable in my post-op condition, successfully with one, and not with the other.

My decision was to ride when I wanted to rather than own and ride less, hence my change of vehicle. Keep on rollin' fella. 8-)

Meldrew
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2018 Honda Forza 300 A
Great Britain

Post by Meldrew » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 am

As I'm an old git now riding a maxi scooter is just another retirement activity. If I can get my act together and pack up all the stuff I've got laid out, I'm off to France tomorrow for a bit of touring. My first time on a smaller capacity maxi scooter for many years, and my last touring trip before Brexit kicks in. Ironic really as the Forza is the first bike or scooter I've ever owned that came with a dealer fitted EU style number plate. :|

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Nmax 125
England

Post by Capt. R Swipe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:22 am

Meldrew wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 am
Riding is now simply another retirement activity I do. I'm off on the Forza to France tomorrow for a bit of touring
Nice one Meldrew; no 'end of the road' for you at the moment ........... where are you off to and for how long?

I suppose you'll pack under the seat and use a top box?

Meldrew
Benefactor
Great Britain

Post by Meldrew » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:34 am

Hello mate, I've been editing that post again when I really should be packing. I'm just going to leisurely have a nose round the Champagne-Ardenne region for a week and stay at a hotel in Riems. As it's just me I don't really make firm plans and I'm happy riding to places like Épernay, wandering round food markets, or poking round motorcycle or cycle shops. I like a good department store to browse round too.

I'm off to Montenegro on holiday a couple of weeks later with Mrs M so I'm not that interested in clocking up loads of miles, as the novelty of riding in Europe wore off many years ago.

The touristy things I'm supposed to do in Riems are all related to Champagne. I'm not much of a wine drinker, although I'd like to try Demi-Sec and sweeter Champagnes because they'll be more to my taste than the dry Brut ones. I may even hire an eBike for a day or go on an organised eBike ride, it all depends on the weather and how much I like Riems and the region.

Under seat storage on the Forza is not as deep as on the Silver Wing I had, so I'll be going minimal like on a budget airline hand luggage only break. Overnight kit goes in my Givi E55, and I'll pack an Ortlieb bag to bring back any stuff I buy.

Has been maxi tours
Benefactor
Current Ride: Sym Citycom 300
EU Flag

Post by Has been maxi tours » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:57 am

I planing Dudley to Dubrovnik next year for my 65th ;) ;)

Its better to be a "Has been " than a "Never Was "

Meldrew
Benefactor
Great Britain

Post by Meldrew » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:02 pm

I had a day in Dubrovnik while on a Mediterranean cruise with Mrs M and family members a few years ago. We sat in a cliff side bar until it stopped raining and then a walk round the city walls and old town when the sun came out. It's a nice place.

Although if I was wanting to go there again, I'd simply take a Jet2 flight from Leeds Bradford Airport to Dubrovnik and be there in 3 hours. It works out a darn sight less expensive than riding there too.

Has been maxi tours
Benefactor
EU Flag

Post by Has been maxi tours » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:41 pm

I'll more than likely drive been as far as Zadar so have done it before .Coast from Rjecka south is amazing .I've been checking the Bosina bit as long as not stopping in Bosnia just use Transit lane seems easy enough .

Meldrew
Benefactor
Great Britain

Post by Meldrew » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:50 am

I have to say that the new Forza is very impressive at covering the miles on it's first time abroad. Off the ferry yesterday at Zeebrugge, across to Reims here in the Champagne-Ardenne region of France. Performance great, seat comfortable, the combination of Givi screen and bodywork mounted hand guards work very well, and I got to the end of the road here to where my hotel is without feeling as if I'd been though the mill.

I even got a phone call from the good people monitoring the tracker as I was strapping down the Forza on the ferry in Hull the previous afternoon checking it was me. Again I was the only scooter rider on the car deck amongst the usual collection of shaven headed older blokes in black, also strapping down the usual assortment of Harley Davidson tourers and GS adventure bikes with the oversized biscuit tin panniers. It's hot here and I'm glad I chose a light coloured textile suit with mesh panels.

I was also musing over the fact that on the Hull ferries I no longer go for the all inclusive dinner and breakfast deal. I enjoyed it for many years but gradually I've reached the end of the road when I want to get stuck into a carvery or a hot and cold buffet on an evening with a beer or two. Neither do I want to face the rigours of a Full English breakfast not long after I've got out of my bunk.

I enjoy one occasionally, although hardly ever ate themwhen I was worked shifts for for nearly 40 years. On mornings my shift mates would up at the hot plate ordering “two sausage, two bacon, two black pudding, two fried bread, two black pudding, two hash browns” etc.

Anyway enough of this nonsense, I'm off down to see what breakfast treats this fine French establishment is offering, and if it's not up to scratch I'm cancelling it for the rest of my time here.

Has been maxi tours
Benefactor
EU Flag

Post by Has been maxi tours » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:09 am

I'm having scrambled egg in Paignton on another £9.50 Sun hol special . :lol: :lol