The end of the road

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below
England
Re: The end of the road

Post by Greyerbeard » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:12 am

newscooter wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:06 am
Good point Meldrew, it looks as if even my triking days may be over soon and what on earth do I do with all the junk,boots,suits,gloves etc.? Will the charity shops appreciate them ?
Yes they will, and with open arms, if our local Sue Ryder is anything to go by - it all goes on eBay...
1987 Triumph T140 Bonneville 750
1989 Honda C90
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
2018 Yamaha XMax 300

Meldrew
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2018 Honda Forza 300 A
Great Britain

Post by Meldrew » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:55 am

I gave loads of stuff to local charity shops in the months before I retired and moved to York, and some of it was riding gear.

If I'd have been a bit more clued up I'd have probably tried to sell some of it on eBay. One example being a two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit that I'd imported from the US when they were virtually an unknown over here.

I'd kept it in good condition but it no longer fitted me. By then it was just another bike suit cluttering up my wardrobe. The charity shop I donated to didn't have a clue about what it was or what it might be worth, and even when I explained what it was and had cost me a lot of money, they probably still sold it for a tenner.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300
EU Flag

Post by rayb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:49 am

Someone took a textile jacket and new armoured jeans to Sue Ryder. Cost me a Tenner and fit well. :)

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i
England

Post by Maxsymuppet » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 am

Just taken the Maxsym out for a short ride. Bit hard on the shoulder but it was only for a few minutes. And it was painful getting it on and off the centre stand. It was primarily to see if the collision with the wall did any damage. It hasn't. It rides perfectly, and the only damage is a few scratches on the front mudguard.
Started second go after 8 1/2 weeks sitting outside under a cover. I'm impressed. Of course I let the engine run for a few minutes to get the oil circulated first.
Of course the big question is have I changed my mind about going from two wheels to four? No - I still don't enjoy riding nearly as much as I used to, and I think my confidence isn't what is was. I have considered keeping the bike as well as a car, but not really - for the number of times I think I would ride it it isn't really practical. But this isn't to say I won't change my mind at some point in the future. Time will tell.