cvt

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Re: cvt

Post by Drago »

My SYM Joymax tends to stick at 5500rpm (55mph on flat speed). From pulling away at idle - even at WOT it will always stick to this rpm until the speed is at about 50mph, then rpm will increase higher alongside the mph. Even going up a hill in a 30mph to a NSL when throttling up to get to 60mph NSL speed it will always go to 5500rpm and wait for the mph to catch up before revving higher. Which is a bit annoying as peak torque is at 6500rpm (indicated 65mph).
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

A question......
Are the engines used in CVT-engined scoots specially set up to work most effectively with the CVT? eg to like working at certain rev ranges? Or are they normal engines so that if you somehow fitted a manual box to them it'd work like a 'normal' manual bike??

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am A question......
Are the engines used in CVT-engined scoots specially set up to work most effectively with the CVT? eg to like working at certain rev ranges? Or are they normal engines so that if you somehow fitted a manual box to them it'd work like a 'normal' manual bike??
Some of them would definitely not work well with normal transmission. For example my Kymco 300i would pink badly for a few seconds when opening the throttle wide from standstill. So the ignition advance curve was probably not set up for flexibility at low rpm. When tuning for CVT it is useful to concentrate on the working range of rpm which makes it easier to achieve good results than a normal transmission. There is also scope for increasing the rpm in the acceleration range by changing roller weights if you want an engine that revs to peak power every time you use full throttle. But this does significantly damage fuel economy and possibly engine life too.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Engines on scooters are generally designed for the actual purpose they are intended, like any engines in any vehicle. Since the engines in a manual bike and CVT bike generally have to do the same job and need similar to identical pulling characteristics, there isn't actually usually any big differences. So rather than making an engine specifically for CVT transmission, the CVT transmissions are made to work with the engine concerned and that's where the real tuning comes in. Not saying some bikes with CVT haven't had the engine characteristics tuned a little, but generally there is no difference. You can see this on cars in particular. Some cars have a manual transmission, while an identical model has the CVT (eg: the Honda Jazz). The engines are identical, same power and delivery of torque, same ecu software etc etc. apart from the transmissions which also usually have their own ecu to control some aspects of the gear ratio changes.

This is often the case with any modern cars with auto tranny too. My own Citroen car has a modern 6spd auto box coupled to a powerful petrol engine. The same car is available with manual transmission with 6 spds and the engines are entirely the same in every way.

So CVT makes no real difference to any bike engine specs in most cases.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Anyone remember the F1 CVT Prototype that was banned - Williams & David Coultard that was involved in the testing an development...
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-tech ... deo/34642/
https://www.racefans.net/2007/05/03/ban ... ssion-cvt/
https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewt ... 5&start=10

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I was watching a program this morning, Henry Cole and Sam Lovegrove had found a 1960's Centaur scooter, USA made, it folded up. The transmission had loads of tiny ball bearings instead of variator rollers. Never seen that before, or the scooter.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Saw that one... interesting transmission idea...
Can't Stand Henry Cole though... his diction and inflection is so annoying, he should present children's programs!

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

XMax400Paul wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 am Saw that one... interesting transmission idea...
Can't Stand Henry Cole though... his diction and inflection is so annoying, he should present children's programs!
I can see your point about Henry, I'm ok with him. I like the other guy, he genuinely seems knowledgeable.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

smeghead wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:19 am
XMax400Paul wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 am Saw that one... interesting transmission idea...
I can see your point about Henry, I'm ok with him. I like the other guy, he genuinely seems knowledgeable.
Just to be contrary, I find Henry Cole very slightly irritating, but Sam Lovegrove to be the dullest human on TV - however knowledgible he is!! :lol:

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

[/quote]

He should be, I'm sure I read somewhere he was chief engineer at Brough Superior....?

https://www.broughsuperiorgbltd.com/cop ... ry-burnand
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X