belts (again).

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: belts (again).

Post by horobags »

thanks guys. Oil and filter done, done 40 miles including full throttle on the motorway, :oops: . I'll risk a few more miles if it looks ok.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

I got my Sh300 showing about 21000 miles, I suspect the service book couldn’t be taken as fact that it had been changed at 13000 ish , many dealers are not honest. I looked at the belt anyway and finding the rollers were worn I got some and a belt to fit later, like just before a long trip. I think it was about

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

I think it was about 800 miles later the belt started making noises so I fitted the new one. The new belt didn’t look any different to the old one previously so I trusted the old one not to break. It didn’t break but was missing half the teeth, still have it so will have to attempt to get a pic on here some time. So how many miles had it done? 7 or 21 thou? If you do the work yourself is better than trusting a dealer. Sorry had a glitch so had to post in 2 parts.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yeah, I've seen a belt with missing teeth with just 5k miles on it, that was on one of our members bikes a few years back. This was because the time period for changing the belt had expired by a couple of years, not due to mileage. The belt looked peachy, you couldn't tell it was fooked, no cracks, width ok etc etc. That was on a 400 Burgman which has a 14,500 mile change mileage or 5 years, whichever comes first. The belt was overdue by 2 years. So be careful out there, transmissions are dangerous!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

horobags wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 am Do drive belts perish with age?? I know all rubber eventually perishes, Im looking at a 2011 sh 300 with only 3k miles and am wondering if I should budget for a new belt.
Ta.
No Mark personally I would not change the belt - similar to yourself I purchased a 2011 sh300i with nominal milage and worked the belt to fourteen thousand miles before I changed it - you got yourself a good deal buying that

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Symcity wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:57 am
horobags wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 am Do drive belts perish with age?? I know all rubber eventually perishes, Im looking at a 2011 sh 300 with only 3k miles and am wondering if I should budget for a new belt.
Ta.
No Mark personally I would not change the belt - similar to yourself I purchased a 2011 sh300i with nominal milage and worked the belt to fourteen thousand miles before I changed it - you got yourself a good deal buying that
thanks. ;)
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

I don’t think Yamaha or Piaggio state a time limit on belt just mileage ?

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

On Sym citycom it says 8000 mile 12000 km or every 12 months on drive belt .Oil is every 2000 mile also .They want them to last lol .

No big deal if doing diy as no filter just gauze so only cost of oil just get 5 litre car oil easy get 4 oil changes out of that .Or I just use what's left after oil change on wife's fiat panda .I had Mitsuboshi belt £39 inc delivery from Italy eBay .

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Just brought one of these under £12 delivered keep under seat with breaker bar and sockets to get belt case off can do belt at side of the road .

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm Just brought one of these under £12 delivered keep under seat with breaker bar and sockets to get belt case off can do belt at side of the road .Image
I purchased something similar to that and it buckled upon the first use - total waste of money - spend a little more money on a reliable holding tool