belts (again).

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

belts (again).

Post by horobags »

Do drive belts perish with age?? I know all rubber eventually perishes, Im looking at a 2011 sh 300 with only 3k miles and am wondering if I should budget for a new belt.
Ta.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: belts (again).

Post by Ralph »

I would, servicing tends to time as well as distance expire, I would give it a full service and
then you are set up for many miles.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I would my Sym only has 3000 km but 2011 .I've brought new belt to swop .

If just knocking about local would risk it but long mway run could put it to the test .

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

If you look at inside of belt and bend it back on itself see if any hairline cracks open up in between the ridges .That's a sign it on way out .

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I wouldn't bother changing it before the mileage, my original silvering belt was 6 years old and 16000 miles of use, nothing wrong with it when I checked it out, no width wear and no cracks showing, so my conclusion was it was a waste of time and money, other than cleaning the case filter. They are greatly improved from early scoots. Keep the filter clean to aid cooling, not that its a major factor up north. It's a Honda.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

At about £90 for an OE belt... £88 on fowlers parts...
2011 isnt that old... And with only 3000 miles i wouldnt.. New Oil and filter YES..
What sort of mileage are you expecting to do?... Belt life is prolly stated at 15000... But will do more...
With an older belt and putting on say 5k a year... I would put a new belt on AT the recommended interval...

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

Personally no and no for you as you wont have the bike more than 3200 miles :lol: :lol:

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I think I'd change it without any hesitation. Belts vary quite a bit in construction and it's actually not always possible to tell how worn or degraded a belt is by looking at it (a mistake folks make with car engine cam belts which suffer the same fate sometimes). The lack of cracks on a used belt is no indicator as to how good or bad the belt is.

This one with 3k miles on it is getting on for 9 yrs old so well past it's service time. The mileage is fairly irrelevant. It's like tyres too, they degrade whether you ride on them or not. It's best not to risk a belt breakage as that can be very very expensive in more ways that one. I wouldn't want you to be reflecting on that from a hospital bed. :o

All said with due regard for Daves case where his belt was younger and still within tolerable time limit and wear limit. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

My instinct would be that although belts probably degrade, its 'only' 9 years old so will probably be OK.
There again, I guess how much a new one costs (I guess an SH300 belt costs less than a £120 Tmax one!) and whether you are working in the area anyway. I wouldn't do a special job but if you are dismantling the thing anyway, it might make sense.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Just gave my SH300 a severe caning, so the belt should be ok now. :)