Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Re: Who's going to the NEC M/C Show?

Post by bikerdezzie »

For me its easier to watch whats posted on youtube, its free, no crowds and if i want to hurry to the next brand i fast forward without traipsing in pissing rain like i used to as i used to drive down with my mate, stat overnight in the Travelodge so i was fresh to walk around all day but not been for about 10 years, i prefered the Ally Pally show. Seen a vid today but not many browsing scooters hence better to watch EICMA show instead as you see way more.
Dezzie

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Meldrew wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:49 am buy a rail ticket
That's the bit that would put me off.

I love travelling by train. Attempting to travel via Southern Rail is another matter entirely. :lol:
bikerdezzie wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:27 pm For me its easier to watch whats posted on youtube, its free, no crowds and if i want to hurry to the next brand i fast forward without traipsing in pissing rain like i used to as i used to drive down with my mate, stat overnight in the Travelodge so i was fresh to walk around all day but not been for about 10 years, i prefered the Ally Pally show. Seen a vid today but not many browsing scooters hence better to watch EICMA show instead as you see way more.
I've watched many a lap of the TT course at unbelievable speeds ... but I preferred the much slower ones I did myself. ;)

There's a whole world of difference to me between watching a video and seeing, feeling, sitting on, and asking stupid questions about the bikes at a show.

These days there's much ore of an incentive for me too. I need to know what bikes I can sit on without them harming me. No point in even contemplating a bike in the future if it isn't suitable for that reason. 8-)

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Got to agree capitano, excellent experience again this year. Those that haven't been to the show for a few years really ought to try it. You may just get a surprise how good it has become. I went on the Tuesday after having to alter my plans (sorry again Chris) due to an ongoing health issue, but I picked up several bargains which as mentioned by others are more prevalent earlier in the week. Going in the week for me is a nicer experience (not crowded) but even a weekend visit is fine. Plenty of space!

It's nothing like visiting a multi-franchise dealership in my view Meldrew as you have the importers, factory reps and often the technical people on hand to answer questions and give first hand information. I gleaned a considerable amount of information from importerer who told me not to tell you about any of it... :lol:. I even ran into an ex-tech colleague who was my apprentice over 30 years ago on one of the stands. He is doing what I used to do in the engine development field so we were able to talk cog wheels for what felt like 10 days over a cuppa and a crankshaft sandwich.. :lol:. I was also accosted by a Tribologist I worked alongside some 35 years ago on an engine development program. Took me by total surprise that he recognised me. He was a slippery customer....(get it!!) who brought me up to date on what's happening in the engine oil world. But the biggest thing is, it's clear many manufacturers are gearing up for the new electric world so we can all keep breathing...which is kinda helpful I thought. The Zero electric adventure bike was fantasti!c. It seems XFC (extra fast charging for existing batteries) is going to revolutionise charging times from next year onwards as manufacturers slowly introduce it. Then of course there's graphene batteries around the corner that will blow current battery technology out of the water!

So all in all a very enjoyable experienced again this year. Had a nice lunch then browsed some more, setting out to come back home at around 4.30pm. Traffic was ok both ways with no hold ups but some fog which slowed proceedings a little on the way up to the show. I drove my car this year and ended up going with just one other person, but the car managed a comfortable 58mpg for the 340 mile trip. Had I gone on the Vespa I would have benefited from somewhere around the 88-90mpg mark. And yes, I've done the NEC trip by Vespa several time in the last 3 years, sticking to around 60mph listening to my music, very pleasant!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

There was seating available inside and outside. Food was reasonably priced.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

The Kymco stand was pretty good with the new large maxi (whatever its name is). However Sym was just a few small bikes hidden around the back of Moto GB. Piaggio didn't have the full range, concentrating on the Vespas. Honda and Yamaha had good stands. Kawasaki had just the J300 and BMW just the 400cc scooter.

Sorry that none of us gave a full show report. :D
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

mottza wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:06 pm Sorry that none of us gave a full show report. :D
Likewise, I obviously didn't get the memo. 8-) I may wear the same hat as Henry Cole sometimes but I'm no reporter of any merit, and my personal reasons for liking and attending the show aren't that relevant to anyone else to be honest. My photo skills are pants, too!

MotoGB did indeed have a few Syms there, but the range of scooters, and their positioning (literally hidden behind their banner) displayed their indifference to the brand in the UK. It typified their whole approach, "Great product, rubbish support network."

Kymco were a bit more of a conundrum. Another great product, that they displayed well. I'd take an educated guess and say that they had their whole range there.

Kymco's bikes looked great, particularly the AK and Xciting models and there were plenty of Kymco staffers on hand to answer queries ... about the bikes. Although I knew, I did ask who my local dealer was. When they answered, my response was, "They aren't really a bike dealer, they are a small repair shop and clothing store." Summing up, plenty of knowledge and pride about the product (and they did look/feel great) but the support needs a lot more work.

As a true potential buyer in the near future, the lack of dealer/importer/distributor support puts me off buying one.

So, no change really. :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I wasn't demanding a full report, but I was intrigued that no-one who'd visited had felt excited or interested enough by what they'd seen to mention anything about their visit. However, it seemed that people who did go did seem to have liked it. For me, its just too far, too much money, too much hassle. If I lived within easy reach I'd no doubt pop along pretty regularly.

As for Kymco, I know what you mean - their 'dealer' network in the North seems to include a secondhand car dealer....

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Meldrew wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:12 am

Anyhow that was then, now it's currently online Black Friday deals. I can't be the only one that's had loads of emails from a variety of motorcycle clothing and accessories companies in the UK, Germany, France, and the USA. I'm quite tempted by one specific offer. :)
My inbox is crammed with e-mails from every firm I've ever dealt with (and many I haven't) all offering me Black Friday deals! Dozens more arrive each day. Sportsbikeshop had a 20% offer code so I actually used that one....

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

I thought the show was ok,well set out,most manufacturers seemed to be there,some had made their stands nice,some not so,Triumph motorcycles always appeal to me,they make some nice machines,Disappointed that both Honda & Suzuki have given up on the bigger twin Maxi scoot,tried to find out if their was anything in R&D,but got no feedback.I was impressed withe Kymco Exciting 400 and the AK550,but as i dont/cant tinker myself the dealer network is a bit pants,clothing and accessories,i kinda just glanced over,J&S Accessories main warehouse and shop is only 10 miles from me,so i get most of my stuff there.At the Milton Keynes show earlier this year i went to get ear moulds taken from Ultimate Ear for a decent set of earplugs,but my ears were checked and i had an ear infection so couldn’t be done,the same guy was at the NEC,so he checked my lug ‘oles and all was ok,got the moulds taken and have gone for plugs with the filters in,makes listening to sat nav and music better,not bothered with earplugs before,so it’ll be interesting to see how i get on,should have them before Chrimbo.

Undercover parking was good,the ride there and back dry,the company good.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Stephen wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 pm
Undercover parking was good,the ride there and back dry,the company good.

Steve
Yes the parking was excellent as ever and the staff on the gate as cheerful and helpful as ever - top marks to them for keeping it up all day.
My legs would prefer less of a walk to the show, but can't complain for free really.
Was intrigued and bemused when the old boy next to me laboriously removed a full heavyweight all-weather bike cover from his panniers and securely fastened it over his bike...
And ditto what everyone has said about Kymco - good looking products, but where are you supposed to buy them?
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350