Winter

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Winter

Post by Symcity »

Reckon the mighty sh300i is going in hibernation soon - since we came back from our vacation in Cyprus last month it’s done nothing but pish down here in west coast Scotland - fucking miserable and I no longer like riding in the rain

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: Winter

Post by horobags »

I hate wet riding these days, although did it recently on the DGR. I dont mind the odd shower but if its going to rain from start to finish I wont bother.
Still not too bad here in Mancfester, Im still getting the odd 2 hour weekend ride in atm.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Don't mind the rain too much, retired so can choose my days, it's the manhole covers and wet leaves on the road I don't like!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah, I quite enjoy riding in the rain, though having to dry wet bike gear is a nuisance.
The bad thing about riding in the winter is when it gets colder and there can be hidden patches of ice, especially in the more remote and hillier countryside areas. You never quite know what the road round the next corner is like!

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I'll avoid the rain if I can, but if its just a shower that's no worries.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

SH is a commuter - rain or shine...
Lots of local flooding especially at the kerp side, and patches of road breaking up a treat...
Water proof over jacker and trousers, as it takes an age for a wet outer of a jacket to dry, even if the water proof liner did hold out!
When the clocks go back, then it will be a Steady Eddie commute...
Don't mind the Cold.... Don't Like the Wet... Don't do the Ice and Snow...

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

SH125Paul wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 am SH is a commuter - rain or shine...
Lots of local flooding especially at the kerp side, and patches of road breaking up a treat...
Water proof over jacker and trousers, as it takes an age for a wet outer of a jacket to dry, even if the water proof liner did hold out!
When the clocks go back, then it will be a Steady Eddie commute...
Don't mind the Cold.... Don't Like the Wet... Don't do the Ice and Snow...
What he said.

With a screen, the SH300 offers a lot of protection from the rain, so long as you're moving. That's where the waterproof over-trousers come in.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

This, and Spring, my favourite time for riding. Been out today started off with mist and a little bit of fog, mist was on the hills and open spaces, but cleared up. Rode through a couple of light showers but, if you have the right clothing, no problems. Last week had trouble parking. This week me and two other bikes. Roads are mainly dry , only need to watch out for wet leaves. Most packs of cyclists are gone, just the odd few souls. On bright days you feel you have the road to yourself as most people stay inside and keep warm. Many good days riding ahead I hope

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

I think it was Billy Connolly who said: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!" Even so, I tend to stay closer to home and especially hearth in wintertime!
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

It's worth investigating gear with laminated waterproof layers like GoreTexPro. The gear doesn't soak up water because the waterproofing is on the outside, rather than sitting underneath the armoured layer.

With heated grips, jacket and - on the T-Max - seat, I'll ride in all weathers. Whether I'd head out for a fun ride in the rain? Not so sure. Manhole covers etc. don't worry me since I discovered Michelin's Pilot Road 3/4/5 tyres - those things grip anywhere...except on ice. Once the temperature drops below ~5C I tend to avoid backroads early in the morning. Been caught out and scared myself more than once...

Nick