Winter

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Re: Winter

Post by riders in the storm »

It was a cold crisp morning the other day and I was thinking of going to work on the scoot rather than the car, it's still got a full tank of petrol and I would like to use it up before the real winter......

But I needed to be in work early and it was still darkish when I was ready to leave so at the last minute decided to go in the car.....

On my route over the mountains there is a bend where water flows across the road. I had slowed right down to about 35 in the car, when it just suddenly careered straight on towards the grass bank. A patch of black ice I hadn't seen even though I was half expecting it.There wasn't any time to do anything but suddenly the front tyres gripped again and the car carried on round the bend. But it frightened me, for the rest of the day I couldn't stop thinking about what would have happened if I had gone on the scooter....!
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I would still do the odd ride but the mix of mud and S++t ( real S++t as rural ) and salt makes for the most ruddy awful sticky bike rotter going, also very nasty when damp to ride on too. Getting the stuff off, and out of awkward places, is a nightmare on the scooter.

Also the amount of wrong side of the road twits on our single track roads on two wheels you really need a dry and not slippey road to stop on.

Also they have now started the many months annual hedge cutting, and not clearing up at all leaving the roads all strewn with the thorns etc too.

So Basically to summarise the S Wing is now sat in the garage with a new MOT waiting for spring.

But if we get a very dry and warm session like in 2019 in February I may sneak on out, but have to be dry with the salt mix.

Winter is here.

That black ice is a very cautionary tale. Close call there.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

I'm a fan of Marathon Plus tyres too. I won't use anything else on my Brompton. 8-)

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Had a set of Dutch Perfect tyres on my commuting bicycle to prevent punctures as part of my route was along a cycle path next to train lines and tree's. Prior to these tyres punctures were a regular event. Finally decided the extra weight of the tyres were not worth the benefits. Got the job of replacing inner tube , at the roadside , down to around 5 minutes. Repair puncture once back home and put repaired inner in cycle pannier to use when required.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Meldrew wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:30 pm I've had a rear wheel puncture on my push bike, I can't remember riding through any metal or glass but at this time of year I have to ride a long length of cycle lane covered in the spiky shells of fallen chestnuts which may be the culprit. So I borrowed Mrs M's Gazelle bike for a few days and at the weekend I discovered it had a rear wheel puncture too.

I can handle bad weather on a cycle, but with these bloody punctures it puts the push in pushbike.
This is why I don't buy an electric pushbike (or even manual pushbike) - punctures! I hardly seem to be able to get on a bike before I get a puncture! I know there are puncture resistant tyres these days, but even so, I bet I'd puncture them!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

riders in the storm wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:13 pm

On my route over the mountains there is a bend where water flows across the road. I had slowed right down to about 35 in the car, when it just suddenly careered straight on towards the grass bank. A patch of black ice I hadn't seen even though I was half expecting it.There wasn't any time to do anything but suddenly the front tyres gripped again and the car carried on round the bend. But it frightened me, for the rest of the day I couldn't stop thinking about what would have happened if I had gone on the scooter....!
Yeah - this is the real snag of winter riding in rural areas...hidden nasties in unexpected places. I still haven't quite recovered from finding myself on a sheet of ice whilst climbing a 1 in 5 gradient up to the N York Moors! I'm still not quite sure how I managed to reach the top. One thing about riding in the pouring rain - its not likely to be icy!!!

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Oof, I'm glad you're ok, Riders In The Storm! Black ice is lethal, a combination of low overnight temperatures and unsalted roads has me taking the more boring main roads or "wimping out" and taking the car/train. Play it safe and you'll be riding again in spring. Smash your bike or yourself up being a hard-ass and you might never ride again.

Be safe, people!

Nick

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Whatsisname wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:05 pm I think it was Billy Connolly who said: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!" Even so, I tend to stay closer to home and especially hearth in wintertime!
The quote from Billy Connolly sounds about right from a scot!

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Yes, the cold and wet, the togging up and the risk of a spill (especially the last) are contributory factors to my decision to give it all up. Along with the waning of my enthusiasm over the last couple of years or so. The incident leading to my dislocated shoulder I think was the last straw.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I agree with you about Connelley Meldrew, he wore what he thought that American riders wore, a Bandana on his head and a teashirt, it was to give the impression he was some kind of "rebel". A bit like the Goldwing riders that trailer their bikes to within five miles of an event and then ride up in full gear and not even dust on the sparkling machines