Sym tl500

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Sym tl500

Post by Data »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:24 am
And yet a weedy peak power output of 41bhp!
But that's pretty good! The Piaggio 500cc units, either the 460 or 490cc singles put out around 40ps so the 460 TL Sym is spot on. Plus it has a nice amount of torque, which don't forget is the actual amount of power an engine produces, not the BHP figure. BHP is just a measure of how quickly the engine produces it's power (torque), not how much power it makes. Everyone gets that wrong. (ps.I know you probably know all that but for anyone that doesn't etc). So 41ps is pretty good and it should be quite quick off the line if the torque is good.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

But the 500cc mk2 & 3 Tmaxs produced something between 45 & 47....no idea about torque figures for either the Sym or any version of the Tmax though.

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Mk3 was 39bhp at the back wheel standard, i got 46 after fitting a pc3, pipe, filter, variator etc i think your figures are at the engine as a cvt is not super efficient and loses quite a bit by time it gets to the road.
Dezzie

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm assuming the 41bhp of the Sym is at the engine? Manufacturers have never quoted bhp at rear wheel figures. If it is 41bhp at wheel, then that's pretty impressive, and would make it much more interesting. Still not keen on the chain drive though. You have to change the V-belt on the Tmax and AK550 every 12k miles (or whatever) but - in theory - don't have to change the final drive belt. The X-ADV / Integra /N750X have no belts but you have to change the chain every 12-20k miles (or whatever) and lubricate it. The Sym seems to have the worst of both worlds - a V-belt to change AND a chain to change and lubricate.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Meldrew wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:56 am
MrGrumpy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:48 amThe Sym seems to have the worst of both worlds - a V-belt to change AND a chain to change and lubricate.
You've forgotten the less than enthusiastic importers that sadly seem to concentrate on supplying dealers that are mainly in Lancashire.
:lol:

No, Mr Grumpy hadn't forgotten that. 8-)
capitano wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:11 am
MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:21 pm If only the importers and dealer networks were up to selling and supporting either the Sym or Kymco!
That sentence sums up the whole sorry situation. 8-)
The belt and chain wouldn't worry me. The whole importer/distributor/spares situation would ... immensely.

Once bitten, (I ran a Daihatsu van for work when the importers pulled the plug) twice shy! ;)

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

On Sym uk facebook today says QB motorcycles now have Sym scooters in showroom .I've asked about Cruisym but looking at photo all look 125 or under .Quarry Bank or Quarry Bonk if your local is about 2 or 3 mile's away had few mots done there .Proper old school dealership

Be handy if get a used Cruisym or Maxsym ar least they will have diagnostic for it .

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Was a cruisym at Motech a while back a 300 but i think thats gone and a 125 is there now, based in Newcastle.
Dezzie

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I'm waiting for low miles private sale let first owner take the depreciation hit .

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

You are right about the dealerships of Sym Meldrew, Moto GB seem to be the main agent. I sat on one in the Bolton dealership but, I did not like the salesman ,so, bought one from Moto Gb in Rochdale ( who did not have one in stock). I have only been back to the dealer for an air filter and a Drive belt in the Year and a half of ownership. I can understand how others would go for the main dealers such as Honda, I have never seen another Cruisym anywhere I have seen a couple of Joymax's. I did have a Sirion for a while some years ago until it got broken into, in about five seconds (as seen on a cctv camera), I got rid of it after that.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Meldrew wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:54 am As for Diahatsu, I still wish I'd bought a Sirion new when I was living in Cumbria and before they stopped importing them. Even now when I see the occasional one I'm reminded of that, and it's very rare to see a scruffy one either.
Mrs Capitano went through 3 Sirions as teaching cars (she's an independent driving instructor) and they were 100% reliable and frankly the cheapest cars ever to run while all was well at Camp Daihatsu.

Thankfully, the last one got written off (just as they all did, funnily enough) by being rear ended, before she needed to trade it in, as its value had dropped like a stone.

The insurance paid out a decent residual sum, though and she switched to Hyundais. While decent enough, the Hyundais aren't anywhere near as likeable as the old Sirions were. Especially the 3-cylinder motor that sounded and felt like a Hinckley 1st generation Trident engine. 8-)