The new SYM TL500 is rolled-out in Europe!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

The new SYM TL500 is rolled-out in Europe!

Post by SkuTorr »

Yep, it's here. Looks and sounds amazing; Spanish Tester/Reviewer said he road his 2008 Tmax to the event in Portugal and when he got on the TL 500, it was EXACTLY as if he just got back on his Tmax! Oh, and it's 4,000 Euro LESS than a Tmax 530 or BMW 650 Sport, 2,000 LESS than a Kymco AK 550.

It's 2,000 Euros LESS than a BMW C400 GT Single Cylinder. At 7,999 Euro they won't be able to keep up with the demand...

2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Re: The new SYM TL500 is rolled-out in Europe!

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

SkuTorr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 pm Yep, it's here. Looks and sounds amazing; Spanish Tester/Reviewer said he road his 2008 Tmax to the event in Portugal and when he got on the TL 500, it was EXACTLY as if he just got back on his Tmax! Oh, and it's 4,000 Euro LESS than a Tmax 530 or BMW 650 Sport, 2,000 LESS than a Kymco AK 550.

It's 2,000 Euros LESS than a BMW C400 GT Single Cylinder. At 7,999 Euro they won't be able to keep up with the demand...
Nice one Skutorr, it does look good but imho, what are the pay-offs, if any, for paying that smaller price over the lofty Tmax price? In other words what is this new scoot lacking for that cheaper outlay?

I can't help thinking that there might be a few................poorer fuel economy, poorer quality fasteners and fit n finish, cheaper components, crappier lighting, an apparently shite dealer network.......... etc?

I may be sounding negative here :roll: but does that old idiom 'You get what you pay for.', still ring true in today's pain-in-the-arse-fekin-austerity-shaped UK or am I spouting an outdated cliche?

I've only owned and ridden an old second-hand Sym Shark many years ago; perhaps you recent and current Sym owners will chime-in with your experiences and wisdom.
:D

Edit: i gotta agree wiv ya Meldrew

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I`m not so sure re finish etc, Yamahah are not what they were.

Sym are a good quality brand. Be easier spares wise if we weren`nt going out of the EU cost wise at least.

But our importings etc are still up in the air.

I think price is the thing here, if its kept Under £7K UK wise it may well be a hit. £6.5K I think they would fly out.

But they will need to push it, not have just 2 or 3 sat in the show rooms around the UK here and there.

I don`t think they are looking to the UK for sales though, more Europe.

We shall see.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Exactly the same as a MK3 Tmax???? Hell, things have moved on in the last 11 years!! Fun as the mk3 is, the mk6 Tmax is quite a big step forward in many ways (notably the performance and poise of the suspension). I should know as I've got both! Its all very well doing a clone, but cloning an old model (not even having the mk3's chain-in-oil-bath drive) strikes me as a bit pointless. At least the Kymco rides as well as the latest Tmax.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Capt. R Swipe wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:06 am
SkuTorr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 pm Yep, it's here. Looks and sounds amazing; Spanish Tester/Reviewer said he road his 2008 Tmax to the event in Portugal and when he got on the TL 500, it was EXACTLY as if he just got back on his Tmax! Oh, and it's 4,000 Euro LESS than a Tmax 530 or BMW 650 Sport, 2,000 LESS than a Kymco AK 550.

Nice one Skutorr, it does look good but imho, what are the pay-offs, if any, for paying that smaller price over the lofty Tmax price? In other words what is this new scoot lacking for that cheaper outlay?

I can't help thinking that there might be a few................poorer fuel economy, poorer quality fasteners and fit n finish, cheaper components, crappier lighting, an apparently shite dealer network.......... etc?

I may be sounding negative here :roll: but does that old idiom 'You get what you pay for.', still ring true in today's pain-in-the-arse-fekin-austerity-shaped UK or am I spouting an outdated cliche?

I've only owned and ridden an old second-hand Sym Shark many years ago; perhaps you recent and current Sym owners will chime-in with your experiences and wisdom.
:D

Edit: i gotta agree wiv ya Meldrew
My old Sym Shark. Lived outside for 4 years and used for commuting all year round. Never once failed to start and always cleaned up well. This is the photo I used to sell it.
My Sym Voyager. No dealer would take it in part exchange. "Cannot take Chinese scooters" was the regular uneducated response. Sold privately.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

My city com 300 is great for £800 lol

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Meldrew wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:05 am Having a look at one of those How Many Left websites, the reality is that a grand total of 2 Kymco AK550’s are registered on the UK's roads, and the only one we know about belongs to the boy roadster on here.
Actually both those AK550 are present on this forum if the figure of two is correct. I won't name the other user who PMed me just in case he would rather not be known. There were more than two registered for the demo tour last year so perhaps those figures are accurate. Its a machine I would recommend on form and function but not on service and support. On balance it is the best two wheeler I have ever owned once on the road but is the price worth paying? And I say that having owned everything from superbikes to mopeds ( lost count at something over 50 machines).
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've come across a little more info....its 'only' 465cc, slightly more power but slightly less torque than a mk1 Tmax. Weight 223kg, none of which implies an wild ride. It seems an odd choice to have a smaller engine with less power than its competitors, then give it super trendy brakes and sophisticated rear shock (& USD forks). Still, €8000 is pretty cheap, though what the UK price will be, who knows!

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

So to sum up not as good as a tmax ,lot cheaper than a tmax probably never see it in UK and no one on here will buy one .

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

Such much negativity on here it's unreal.

1) it's not a clone. It's a competitor for the sports scooter category yes. So it will be similar in layout/style to a t-max. I find it odd how SYM/kymco get labelled clones, yet the Japanese NEVER do. The Yamaha tri-city 300 - met with excitement no it's a piaggio MP3 clone comments at all!? The Japanese always tend to copy each other. 70's universal Japanese motorcycle, 80's sports bikes and so on... Oh and clearly only the honda Helix is a true maxi scooter, all others are clearly clones :?

2) Yes, it's out specced by the t-max but it's a lot cheaper, parts will be cheaper as well. With 'proper' suspension it will handle far better than a conventional maxi scooter.

3) I've owned SYM's for years and they are generally very reliable. The only breakdown I've had was the stepper motor was playing up on my Joymax earlier this year, resulting in poor start up and initial idle. The side stand switch was also playing up, had to tap it after kicking up the side stand to turn off the immobiliser. Covered under warranty no arguments but...

4) Yep, the UK importer is utterly useless, took five weeks to get the throttle body replaced. Tried to blame it on the chinese new year when they ended up getting the part from belgium. If they just got themselves a decent UK importer...

5) If you can afford it. Go for a t-max. Personally i don't think a sports type scooter will suit my needs, though i would like to get a good condition and reasonably price one second hand to try/experience in the future. T-max still go for silly money, even mark 1's are about £2000 for a good one.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-