X-ADV and me

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Garyc1

X-ADV and me

Post by Garyc1 »

Thought I`d do a little write up on my own impression of the Honda X-ADV. But first a little background. At 64 years young and starting to think I`d missed out on the midlife crises scenario, I decided to get myself a little runabout, just to break me in gently to the idea of using a mobility scooter, after 64 its all downhill, right? Well with the big numbers came a few other anomalies like Rheumatoid Arthritis, blood pressure, piles, but by far the worst an abundance of digestive gasses. The gentle drift into degradation that my body had taken, pretty much dictated what my penis substitute was likely to be! Yup a scoot! A Honda Forza 300, I didn’t have to waggle my ankles about or stamp on levers to make the thing move, and it had a nice wide lounge area for my slightly less muscular butt. When I wanted to move I twisted the handle thingy and it went , to stop I just had to drag my feet along the ground……great!
I enjoyed the Forza for a couple of thousand miles, doing quite a few long runs with my pillion, it really was the most enjoyable thing since Izal toilet paper was banned! Anyway the Forza was due various services etc and on one of these occasions I happened to be dribbling over the bikes in the dealership showroom when I made the mistake of putting a hand on the saddle of an X-ADV, within the time it takes a fly to fart, I had a new friend! “we`ve got a good deal on that one” Now being a polite nice sort of guy, I let the young chap (who incidentally had the tenacious manner of a Jack Russell on a promise) tell me all the wonderful and magical things the X-ADV could do. Well its pointless drawing the story out, the short of it is, I tried it, I got a little damp, and I got a good deal.
In truth I had been looking for something with a little more uummph! The thought being to do some touring next year, Mrs pillion was happy cos her assets were cosseted by the adequate lounge area `up back` and I was happy cos I could load the scoot with loads of gizmos, top and side boxes, and fully loaded it would still pull a sheep from a muddy ditch.
The X-ADV is an oddity, and it seems most who review it, cant make up their minds `is it a scooter or a bike? Is it twist and go? Was it designed by someone with a grudge?' Well if you’ve an interest in the machine, you probably have read most of the reviews and know just what’s available in the package. Its got a lot of everything, which it does very well, it is unconventional to the UK pallet. However, if like me, when choosing a puppy, you pick the one with three legs! Then boy are you going to have some fun! When your at the lights, beside one of those American `re engineered bricks` and the ground is shaking to the sound of the poorly designed 405deg firing sequence, smile mockingly at the father Christmas beard because he deserves it for not being adventurous! And then smoothly, with dignity, accelerate away in the knowledge that being stuck in the past is not a virtue.
Although the scooter is relatively new to our shores the Europeans have been playing with this this for some time, even using it for rally`s in which it has achieve many accolades.
There`s a thriving industry in aftermarket parts and bling. Should you ever get round to the `Grand Tour` the chances are this scooter will spend less time on its side than the Grandeurs 1000+ cc enduro monsters favoured by film stars and jobbing actors. It is heavy! (for a scooter) but what reviewers seem to miss when complaining about the weight, is that the weight is so low that it is a big plus. After all the centrifuge velocity of a Penny Farthing contributed to a spectacular lack of willing riders. I suspect had the ADV been around at the same time, humans would have evolved missing out the `Hipster` facial hair and ancillary grooming equipment and arrived directly at the vaguely balding 64 year old `wannabe 18 again` (me) .
This scooter is different, too different for most, but that’s what will makes it special.
If you get a chance try it! Kick out those fears of being different, but mostly kick out those desires to be “the same.” :kiss:
Gary

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: X-ADV and me

Post by Stephen »

I’ve had mine for 18 months,i love it,the DCT is great,Honda really got it right with that,got the after market givi windscreen on mine along with crash bars,top box was part of the deal,the 750 cc engine pulls like a train,away from lights like a flash,not had a pillion on mine as yet,it does draw attiention when i pull in to the biker cafes i use and as you say people are at a loss to name it as a scooter or motorcycle......Enjoy

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Garyc1

Post by Garyc1 »

Hi Steve, was wondering about the Givi screen. how did it compare to the original? I`m 6ft 1/2 inch in my bed socks and get a little wind noise on the helmet intercom.

Garyc1

Post by Garyc1 »

As you say the DCT is spot on and as for the traction....brilliant! Its like being on rails. Oh and two up....I think there is a wizard somewhere deep inside the body cos it accelerates just as well with the additional weight and corners even better. thing is its a bit addictive, I cant keep off it, regardless of weather..lol
Gary

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Post by bugsy »

Nice write up.

I have just traded my mk6 T Max having fallen out of love with Yamaha for reasons already discussed in previous threads.
I was riding the T Max like an old man and just decided it wasn’t for me any longer. I had never really got used to the high reving engine at low speeds and the poor fuel consumption. Our Volkswagen SUV often managed more mpg. I couldn’t understand why Yamaha had never introduced a stop start system for the engine.

Looking at the Honda marque again I took the XAdv out for a while with my back seat rider who keeps an eye on me and we enjoyed it very much. I liked the handling and the twin front disc brakes. I didn’t like the information screen much. Too much information which I couldn’t read easily. We thought the basic bike was overpriced and servicing costs involving plastic panel removal would increase costs along the road.

It’s not the first time I have ridden a dct bike.
However after all considered wifey preferred the NC750X dct. She found the foot position high and uncomfortable for her on the X adv it had a wider seat like the T Max. She is 5ft 3. We were also unconvinced about panniers for touring on the XAdv which clearly Honda didn’t think were worth adding as an accessory. It lacked storage. The Givi panniers stood out a long way and just didn’t look right or allow easy filtering without worrying what was going on behind.
So the NC.
We wanted additional lighting and opted for the Honda fog LED’s on the engine bars with monekey 46 litre back box with cushion back rest and the new V37 matching panniers.(they are still on order), centre stand, pyramid plastics touring screen, radiator guard, hand guards, 12 volt socket, charging lead etc.
The whole lot came to less than a new basic TMax price. The dealer has provided us with price of the first service which is less than £100 and offered a third year warranty for a cut price of £219 which we are still considering. Cheaper insurance but higher VEL cost. Break down cover is included for the whole warranty period.

I know it’s got chain drive but having recently taken a stone chip through the TMax belt And the cost of out of warranty replacement I’m prepared for the maintenance.
There is a NC forum member who rides for a living with currently 225K miles on his 750X.

Don’t get me wrong our Yamaha dealer was first rate but fundamentally can only sell the marque.

I’m happy to have made the move.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Garyc1 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm Hi Steve, was wondering about the Givi screen. how did it compare to the original? I`m 6ft 1/2 inch in my bed socks and get a little wind noise on the helmet intercom.
Gary......At 5ft 7in,i was unsure if it warranted the Givi screen but pleased i got one,i keep it on setting two,no bufferting or wind noise,my mate visited,he used it while i took my other bike out,he is 6ft 2in and used the screen on setting 3,he was happy with it,I have a set of Givi spotlights on the crash bars,mainly to be seen by other road users.I have done some by-ways,legal to use by all vehicles,it performed well,but standing up on the floorboards put my wieght to far forward,so have brought a set of rider foot pegs,they fit further back behind the floorboards,holes are already there,take out existing bolts,fitting kit has longer bolts supplied,tried them out on the country lanes and i am certainly further back on the bike now when standing up,the by-ways are far to messy at the moment,so probably wont be back on them until next spring,

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

bugsy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:18 pm Nice write up.

I have just traded my mk6 T Max having fallen out of love with Yamaha for reasons already discussed in previous threads.
I was riding the T Max like an old man and just decided it wasn’t for me any longer. I had never really got used to the high reving engine at low speeds and the poor fuel consumption.
How different we all are! As I've mentioned before, I had a test ride on the X-ADV and the thing that put me off was the low revs slogging of the NC engine! I know its effective, but I didn't enjoy it and really missed the smooth revvier feeling of the Tmax. The Tmax encourages me to ride like a loon rather than a old man! I always seem to want to be going at twice the speed of other road users.....
Fuel economy -its never been the Tmax's strong point, but the mk6 is distinctly better than previous versions. I can pretty easily get 58mpg - more on occasions - and as I've mentioned I'm not the gentlest person with the throttle! I'd rather pay the money and have fun on the Tmax than be, if not miserable, putting up with the NC engine.

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

I think some including my mate is adamant riding in manual mode when hooning is better than dct as you change when you want not when the bike decides, he thrashes the shit out of it and doing a swiss alps tour on it next spring/summer, he also owns a gs beemer which he loves for the power but thinks his xadv is the dogs danglies, he has been all over Europe on the GS and Morocco and North Africa but cannot wait to hit the alps on the xadv, i just wish it was about 40kgs lighter as its very lardy, not seen any upgrades at Eicma either i was hoping it would get the new upgraded dct like on the new 1100 africa twin, i wish they would bring a lower, lighter street version out with 17" wheels both ends as most will never see anything more off road than a gravel driveway.
Dezzie

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

bikerdezzie wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:44 pm i wish they would bring a lower, lighter street version out with 17" wheels both ends as most will never see anything more off road than a gravel driveway.
Don't they do this already -the Integra? Possibly not much lighter or lower, but definitely a street version on 17" wheels! The 2018 Integra even has some underseat storage now!

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

i still regret selling mine .. an now i'm not in a position to rectify my mistake. don't get me wrong the NC750S is a great bike , but you need to add things to make it perfect. the XADV is that out the box. well apart from a top box . but i add that to every bike i own .
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .