I bought a XMAX 400

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

I bought a XMAX 400

Post by Taipan »

Hi All,

I couldn't make my mind up to go for a MK2 Tmax or another SH300, so I bought a 400 Xmax! :? Not sure how it happened either but it did. I found there was more room on it compared to my old SH300 and MK3 Tmax come to that, so I think that was the decider, well that and I fancied trying something I hadn't already owned.

Gripes.

The butt pad on the seat holds water, so when you sit against it it squeezes out water and gives you a wet arse! I'll try dubbin on the seams if not I'll end up putting some clear mastic or suchlike. Just a stupid but very annoying problem. Is it just mine that suffers from this?

Secondly, the clutch seems very grabby and vibrates the bike? This is typically around 20-30mph when pootling along in rush hour traffic. I think/hope its lessening as its getting used more? Hopefully some enthusiastic use will sort things out? I did check the clutch as I replaced the belt, sliders and weights at the weekend and it seemed fine? I find the bike quite slow revving and recall my Majesty engined Leos always seemed slow revving and benefited from slightly lighter dr pulleys, so maybe ill do that? Perhaps the quicker revs will help the clutch lock down too? Any other 400 owners find similar with theirs?

Lastly, this must be the worse bike i've ever had for screen buffeting! I must be just the wrong height for the OEM screen, so a lower or higher one will go on!. Any recommendations?

Apart from that i'm quite enjoying it. Sits at 70-80 easily and the two tankfuls its had have returned a consistent 68mpg, which should give me a 208 mile tank range in theory? 180 would be nice as it means I'd only stop for fuel once a week, or twice every third week. Riding position is nice and like riding a chair about and the bars don't hit my thighs on full lock or anything. Wish i could do the feet forward thing, but there isn't enough legroom for that, or at least enough room for my legs. It also has the best underseat storage i've seen since my Silverwing! Sadly the seat doens't lock though. I thought it had been broken into as there is evidence of damage near the lock. Then I noticed there was no seat catch. I ordered one upbut when looking I saw the key doesn't open the seat catch, so suspect a cable has broke and the last owner probably jemmied it open to get his stuff out and then removed the catch rather than bother fixing it? Should be an easy fix...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: I bought a XMAX 400

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well done! Yamaha certainly have no idea how to design screens do they! Can't make any recommendations as to a replacement as these things are so personal. I guess I'd be tempted to go for something taller as you are tall, and as you are commuting on it, it'd give better protection against the winter cold. A short screen might be quiet but could be cold....

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Taipan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:26 am
Lastly, this must be the worse bike i've ever had for screen buffeting! I must be just the wrong height for the OEM screen, so a lower or higher one will go on!. Any recommendations?
You seem to be handy on the tools,if you have an old screen kicking about the garage,perhaps you could knock yourself up a laminar lip.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Taipain,
What year?
I have the workshop manual for the '13 non abs model, and abs supplement on cd rom...
Happy to stick a cd in the post if you care to pm me your address.
I went OE weight 16g on the Dr P sliders... I fitted lighter weights 14g at first, but found it too revvy in stop start traffic... I'll nip out in the garage and see what i've got in the box... Yep got the 2515 -14g x8... Negligable wear... Were only in for a week or so, or the time it took the 16g to arrive from germany, if i remember right... €50 / £42 plus postage on line... O££ers?
Got the apron, fits XMAX 400 2013 - 2014 – 2017 Yamaha Part Number 1SD-F47L0-30-00, £100 new, As new open to o££ers... Warm 'n dry winter?
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... on#p295146
And a Tunnel Console Bag, again, open to o££ers...
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... el#p295145
Enjoyed mine first version '13 plate... Did 30k miles, Pxed for the NC750X DCT back in September...
Looking to get a few quid back to ofset the Givi Tank bag n other bollox i simply had to have for the NC...

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Hi All
Thanks for all the replies.

Paul its a 2013 non ABS model. I get what you mean about going to light with the rollers. You've reminded me i did exactly that on my Tmax and had to revert back to OEM as it drove me mad. So I'd best not repeat that with Dr Pulleys, but thanks anyway. Do you eBay? Scoot stuff normally flys out f the door on there and facebook market place, especially if your located in or around London. Was it you with the CCM?

The bike is sort of improving with use, but the clutch shudder is very annoying, so much so I think it might be a short stay for this one. Seems I#m not alone with thsi complaint as the web throws up a few complaints about it, but I cant believe they can be as bad as mine, otherwise i#m sure Yamaha would never have sold any? I really like the scoot overall, but as I commute in London's traffic I spend a lot of the time in this problem zone and its killing the bike for me. So, I'm going to pull the cover off this weekend and chamfer the leading edges of the shoes and check the clutch bell for distortion?

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

According to howmanyleft there are about 1000 Xmax 400s on the road in the UK of all years. Doesn't sound many to me as there are 700 Xmax 300 and they've only been available since 2017.

Piaggio clutches on the Quasar engines used to suffer with vibration and noise (I think someone described it as sounding like a sealion?). A good clean out usually cleared that up for a while at least.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 am Hi All
Thanks for all the replies.
...Was it you with the CCM?
Yep... Black R30,,,

Had the same with the clutch judder. a good clean out helps...
and I'd often leave a gap then joining-up in stop start traffic every other move... - just to save the amount of goes on the clutch moving off...

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Well it does appear to be smoothing out compared to what it was. I think I should have stripped it down and thoroughly cleaned out the clutch, after all it was a real dusty mess in there! Anyway, i'm certainly enjoying it a lot more now and have stopped regretting not getting another Sh300, lol!

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Changed the air and transmission filters today. Might have been a bit hasty as there may have been a few miles left in them yet! :?

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

It should be 5 mph faster just removing the weight of crap in the filters
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif