Stuff to keep under your seat

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Stuff to keep under your seat

Post by StephenC »

According to Visordown, bikers should carry certain bits of kit.

https://www.visordown.com/news/product- ... their-seat

Is it me, or is that article aimed at us and not "real bikers" who value speed over under seat storage? :lol:
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Stuff to keep under your seat

Post by MrGrumpy »

Bizarre! Most 'real' bikes don't have enough room under the seat to stow a sandwich, let alone that lot!

Yes, I carry a locking chain (on the mk3 Tmax anyway, I rely on the centrestand lock on the mk6), but there's no point in me carrying tools as I've no idea what to do with them, I don't carry a puncture repair kit for similar reasons (I call the AA out if I have a puncture), and there seems little point in carrying a jump start kit around if your electrics are in good order! Yet they don't mention things like waterproofs, which really might be useful! I carry waterproof over trousers and an over jacket most of the time.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Out of these the real essential for me is a locking chain or a cable lock. After having had one stolen last year. Since then I have never turned my back on my scoot without at least putting a chain or cable through a wheel. Or better still locking it to a lamp post or something. The thieving toerags are everywhere! Plus waterproofs of course. As to tools, being a complete mechanical disaster area I wouldn't use them anyway. Instead I use the recovery on my insurance.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I've got a puncture repair kit but would almost certainly call out the AA, unless I was in the wilds of Borneo.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

On my Scotland trip will pack a tarp and emergency bivi bag and bar of Kendal mint cake .Just in case get stranded with no phone signal . ;) ;)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Meldrew wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:14 pm The way I see it, you can only call out the AA if you've punctured somewhere that has decent phone signal. Then you could wait at least a couple of hours for them to arrive with a bike trailer, not exactly ideal if you've punctured on a busy road, it's raining, bitterly cold, or at night.

I've found it's far simpler to treat your tyres from new with Puncturesafe or a similar puncture sealing sludge.
Yes, you are reliant on there being a mobile signal. However, I've normally found that the AA come out pretty quickly (well, most of the time!) and can do a temporary plug there and then. If you need a trailer to come out, yes, it takes a bit longer.

We've had the discussion about Puncturesafe and other gunges before - I used to use them but stopped as I had a couple of times when the gunges failed and if that happens you really do need the AA Trailer as you can't do a temporary plug, as the gunge pushes it out.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm On my Scotland trip will pack a tarp and emergency bivi bag and bar of Kendal mint cake .Just in case get stranded with no phone signal . ;) ;)
Don't forget some tent pegs and cord for holding down the tarp. :)

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Aren’t most scooters and motorcycles supplied with a basic toolkit - I augment mine with a couple of alan keys and a mix of cable ties which I have frequently given to many a biker up the “green welly”

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

StephenC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:37 am According to Visordown, bikers should carry certain bits of kit.

https://www.visordown.com/news/product- ... their-seat

Is it me, or is that article aimed at us and not "real bikers" who value speed over under seat storage? :lol:

The article has not a jot of written wisdom but consists purely of advertising content - for about 130 quid's worth of stuff! Tosh :!:

The price we pay for content: the barrage of pointless pages of useless drivel in order to slap another advert onto our screens - 'clickbait', I believe it's called. I have read the title of the clickbait errr, article.

Use an adblocker muppets....... :roll:

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I think I might be the opposite of everyone here! :D I don't carry a lock or chain because it takes up too much space and adds too much weight. Instead I either own bikes that no-one wants to steal or don't park it anywhere it might be stolen from. Easier said than done for many people, I admit.

I do, however, carry a puncture repair kit (a much simpler one than shown in that article) and a small 12V compressor. You follow the instructions and it's easy, and the number of times I've got punctures while out and about makes it more than worth it. Breakdown cover, especially abroad, can take hours to arrive, and fixing a puncture takes minutes. I'd rather sort it myself and be on my way.

When travelling I'll also take duct tape and cable ties because it's amazing what you can stick together with those. Breakdowns tend to be either something you can't fix without a full workshop or the result of some hose or bolt working its way loose. Check all your nuts and bolts before a trip and take whatever tools you needed to do it - not a whole toolkit. Most bikes/scooters are bolted together with a small selection of bolt sizes anyway.

Nick