Tmax comparison

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MariaB
Current Ride: Tmax

Tmax comparison

Post by MariaB »

It seems likely that new TMAX are better to ride than older ones. But what about styling and aesthetics? I loved the mark 2 tmax but was bowled over by the mark 3 which was a more sharp version of its predecessor but still smooth. Then came the mark 4 with its R1 influenced pointy nose etc. I was horrified at the time and immediately went out and bought some left over new mark 3s. Five years later we have witnessed the mark 5 (a better version of the mark 4 in my view) and the mark 6 which still has some original tmax touches but didn’t really do it for me. But it’s funny what time does. I now look at the mark 5 as being quite good looking and, while the mark 6 still doesn’t do it for me (the exhaust particularly and all the add on bits everywhere) the new mark 7 looks like a better version of the mark 6. Similarly, while I still love the smooth yet snappy lines of our mark 3s, it is actually now looking dated....

MariaB

Re: Tmax comparison

Post by MariaB »

I seem to have put this in the wrong section. Sorry guys

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

MariaB wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:40 am I seem to have put this in the wrong section. Sorry guys
Moved to Maxi Scooter Chat

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I guess I never dwell too much on the styling of each model - to me they are all generally the same but a bit different. I find it hard to tell which version of the TMax I'm looking at, and can't distinguish the Tmax from the AK550 or TL500! The mk1/2 looks slightly dated for some reason, but the later version look a bit fussy, or at least the details - yes, there is a stuck on quality to some of them. The headlights of the mk6 / 7 do look pretty hideous to me, and the jacked up angled exhaust on every version since the mk3 always looks wrong. The mk3 had loads of subtle styling details which were rather good looking but they all vanished with the mk4, though the mk4 gained a more stylish 'art-deco' tail section. I always love the mk3 mirrors on their long elegant stems (though prone to damage). The mk6's mirrors are overstyled and ugly and don't function well either.
However, I can't see the styling when I'm riding one, so its not my priority!

MariaB

Post by MariaB »

I tend to agree with you. The mark 3 is elegant and unfussy but has some nice touches but clearly is less modern than the newer ones. I’m not so keen on the dash though nor the slightly high up riding position. But that’s another issue. On the riding experience if you were to be blindfolded and could ride one safely how easy would they be able to be told apart?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

MariaB wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:13 am On the riding experience if you were to be blindfolded and could ride one safely how easy would they be able to be told apart?
Oh...they are all a Tmax, but all very different! The mk3 is a bit wild and hooligan like, the mk4 was rather middle aged and sensible, whilst the mk6 is very....precise is perhaps the word. In car terms, the mk3 is a hot hatch, the mk6 like a hi spec BMW, whilst the mk4 was more like a mid range Golf.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

I have gone back to a Mk 3 for a winter hack and really like it . Even in this freezing weather it gives good protection and is sporty to ride . I liked my Mk 6 but did not like the recalls and unreliability . Changing a tyre at the rear was a hassle , easy on the Mk 3 . Agreed the mk 3 does lok old , was in Barcelona at the weekend and loads ok Mk 2's out there , I think they look cool . I will try the Mk 7 560 though . Rude not to :)

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:04 am The mk3 had loads of subtle styling details which were rather good looking but they all vanished with the mk4, though the mk4 gained a more stylish 'art-deco' tail section.
Then you'll love this one; a MK3 with a MK4 tail! I call it a Tmax 515....

2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

SkuTorr wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 pm
MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:04 am The mk3 had loads of subtle styling details which were rather good looking but they all vanished with the mk4, though the mk4 gained a more stylish 'art-deco' tail section.
Then you'll love this one; a MK3 with a MK4 tail! I call it a Tmax 515....
Actually, I've already got one of those!!