Yet Another Disaster

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Yet Another Disaster

Post by MrGrumpy »

This year has been an utter disaster as far as scooters are concerned. I've managed to drop both of them at different times, the mk6 was holed up in a workshop for four months and I've literally lost count of the number of new mirrors are needed!

And now I've lost the topbox from the mk6 TMax! I store the box off the scoot in the garage as there's not quite enough room. I got the mk6 out of the garage. I remember getting the box out of the garage, but I have no recollection as to whether I put it on the scoot or not. When I got to my destination, there was no topbox!

Did I put it on but it fell off for some reason? I've usually noticed when a topbox falls off, and I've retraced most of the route looking for a battered topbox but I can't see anything.
If I didn't put it on, where did it go? Its not as though its of value to the scrap merchants as its all plastic and its hardly worth nicking as I've got all the keys! (I'm in a pretty low crime area). There was a charity collection van coming round today - I wondered if they thought it was a donation - I've been on to them and the guys in the van came back, but they said they hadn't taken it. Again its not much use to them without keys!

Of course, Mr Yamaha wants £200 for a replacement, and it was a pretty rubbish box anyway! In theory, I could replace it with a cheaper Givi Monolock box, but of course a Givi box won't fit a Yamaha rack but the proper Givi rack for the Tmax costs £120!

Totally peed off... :cry:

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Re: Yet Another Disaster

Post by bikerdezzie »

Cant you get an adapter, sure i have seen them somewhere if not homemade?
Dezzie

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Maybe it fell off and someone chucked it in the boot of a car to open later in the hope of something interesting being inside.
Universal key Thore King of Hammers.
I did not lock the top box onto the Xmax it stayed in place for about 10 miles till I got up to 70 on the Mway then instead of
falling off it opened the moved forward hitting me with quit a thump in the middle of the back it stayed there till I stopped
luck I guess.

Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

You dropped my old one?
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I had one of those cheap Chinese ones fly off on an old burgman I had luckily Jaz was following and alerted me .Since then have always put bungie or ratchet strap around whole thing including the plate even when using good quality boxes .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

The box on the mk1 I had for a while had a tendency to fall off, must have not quite fitted the rack properly - box was seriously battered (but still worked) after a while. But I was always aware of it coming off - I could see a blurry image of movement n the mirror!

I have a Givi monolock base plate, but whether it can be attached to the Yamaha mounting plate with the supplied bolts and brackets I don't know. It doesn't look too likely, but I'll ask the local workshop people to see what they think.

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:30 am
And now I've lost the topbox from the mk6 TMax! I store the box off the scoot in the garage as there's not quite enough room. I got the mk6 out of the garage. I remember getting the box out of the garage, but I have no recollection as to whether I put it on the scoot or not. When I got to my destination, there was no topbox!

Did I put it on but it fell off for some reason? I've usually noticed when a topbox falls off, and I've retraced most of the route looking for a battered topbox but I can't see anything.
If I didn't put it on, where did it go?
Seriously?
In all honesty;
A) can’t remember putting topbox on?
B) usually notice when one falls off? (The implication being this has happened before).

Have a look in the mirror. The guy looking at you should hand the keys of his scooter to a new buyer and give up riding.
You’re a danger to other road users, surely? :shock:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stibbs wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Seriously?
In all honesty;
A) can’t remember putting topbox on?
B) usually notice when one falls off? (The implication being this has happened before).

Have a look in the mirror. The guy looking at you should hand the keys of his scooter to a new buyer and give up riding.
You’re a danger to other road users, surely? :shock:
Thanks for your support. As I said, I had a mk1 Tmax where the box did fall off a couple of times - its never happened on this one (or any other scoot. Do you remember every routine thing you do on autopilot?

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

There comes a time when all of us have to quit - perhaps your time is NOW before anything or anyone gets hurt.

Of course it’s sad but we have to face aging and it’s consequences......

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 pm Do you remember every routine thing you do on autopilot?
I would be lying if I said that I did. I can make myself breakfast and forget to eat it! I should maybe have checked my keys in years ago! :lol:
Has been maxi tours wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:33 am I had one of those cheap Chinese ones fly off on an old burgman I had luckily Jaz was following and alerted me .Since then have always put bungie or ratchet strap around whole thing including the plate even when using good quality boxes .
I gave my large Givi topbox to my Son as he needed one that size for commuting, and I rarely needed one, so I picked up a £35 one from ebay that used the Givi monolock mountings figuring that it would do for my odd usage.

Its locking mechanism exploded on the M25 when I was riding to an all day conference at Sandown racecourse. Not only did it fly open but it also became detached from the rack. I had to exit the M25 one-handed, holding the f***ing thing on!

It made the next part of the journey tied closed and onto the rack by my jacket and trouser belts. I intended to store all my riding gear in it while I was in the conference, but it wasn't exactly the most secure option given its condition.I had to blag my way into the main concourse, park up literally outside the main glass doors, and persuade the security guys to watch it for me.

Admittedly it did save me a walk later and I got away pretty smartish as a result, but I took a hammer to it when I got home and ordered myself another Givi that evening. :lol: